Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 37

CLANG CLANG SLASH

The sound of metal clashing reverberated throughout the area over and over again with every impact of Ryuuko’s blade to the giant monster’s shield. The fight was on a level that could not be describe by mere words, with every blow from one another sending shockwaves throughout the land, as if just the contact between the two was throwing the entire world off balance.

FWOOSH

The great spear of white flame flew towards the girl at incredible speed. There was so much power from its charge yet there was also a sense of delicate to its lumbering movements. But with that delicacy came an even more destructive force; where the spear flew even the air itself was lit aflame and scorched all that it grazed by.

BOOM

A fierce sound of explosive force came from the tip of its spear as it shot out an aftereffect from its powerful lunge, flying far to the endless skies above and enveloped everything in its path a blaze of holy fire. However the intense attack was a miss as the young girl, the massive blade clutched in her right hand, reappeared completely unfazed and brought down her howling weapon. Slicing through the air like a hot blade through butter, its chainsaw edge split apart even the molecules that stood in its way.

SHYAAA

The creature gave an ear-piercing screech as it was thrown back, its needle-like legs tore through the ground in defiance of the momentum, its mighty shield having blocked the staggering strike. Immediately gaining control and letting out a blood-curdling roar, it stood again with its two weapons in hand, readying for another round.

Ryuuko’s feet finally touched the ground, the weapon in her hand letting out an expulsion not unlike that of a rocket’s, and gently set her down. The edge of her blade throbbed with power, beating in accordance to the rhythm of her pounding heart.

BABUMP BABUMP BABUMP

Each pulse brought about another pump of great energy throughout her small body as she firmly gripped the handle of her weapon and stared intensely into the single bloodied eye of her opponent.

“Huff ... huff...” She breathed, feeling the hotness of her breath blowing through her mouth and through the veins that stitched across her lips. Her entire body felt like it was on fire, every movement sending a wave of heat throughout her figure yet there was also unyielding strength. The voices that cried out to her in encouragement was loud yet not so loud that it would cloud her thoughts. Standing there, she felt both the weight and the support of the entire world on her back, both greatly pushing her down and carefully lifting her up.

With a small grunt, she once again arduously lifted her weapon. Hearing the ignition of her blade’s engine, its cover clicking open, and releasing another powerful thrust throwing her back into the air, she charged towards her thundering enemy; the roar of her weapon and her pounding heart easily drowning it all out.


As the earth-shattering conflict raged on, the remaining members of the A.R.C. watched in both awe and with dread. The scene was unbelievable; to watch the young member of their club facing off against the towering creature with utmost effort and ease brought a bout of astonishment to all of them.

“A-amazing! H-h-holy crap! I can’t believe this!” Juntaro exclaimed as he pulled out every data he could from his system, all of them were nearly being overloaded as he desperately tried to analyzed the far-off situation. “Ryuuko’s power is off the charts! Every reading I’m getting from her ... that arm of her’s ... its ... it’s the virus?! How?! Are you telling me it somehow popped out and manifested itself into her right arm?!”

“Hmm ... is that possible? Incredible...” Kenjirou grunted. He did not understand what was going on, as did the rest of the boys. The off the scale battle that he could not even hope to comprehend, he felt a strange sense of worry as he watched with bated breath.

Unlike earlier Ryuuko was no doubt in control of herself, evident by her more coordinated movements. Her mind was intact and she did not look to be in pain as before when she had gone berserk. Kenjirou even recognized some of the moves and techniques she was using; it was the same as those of Takuya’s.

“Hideyoshi, what do you make of this?” The president asked, despite his clubmate’s focused eyes on the scene in the distance.

“Huh?” Takuya turned his eyes to the club president when he felt a vibration from his phone and read the repeated words on his lips. “About what?”

“How long was it that you taught her to fight? Only 2 days ago?” Kenjirou asked curiously.

“Yeah. We didn’t have much time, so we only cover the basics but Takatora ... she’s amazing. Although she’s still inexperience, she’s using everything she learnt from then, all while swinging that huge weapon in her right arm with near pin-point precision. Heh, as I thought, she really does have talent.” Takuya snickered, feeling a sense of pride while watching his student in action. “However..., I do not think it will be enough. Not against that monster.”

“I thought you would say that. You see it, don’t you?”

“ ... Yeah, easily. And it worries me. You too, Prez?”

“Hmph ... yes. And I don’t like this one bit.” Kenjirou grunted, as he struggled again to move but his huge body was still immobilized. Letting out a sigh, he cursed underneath his heavy breath.

“Alright guys, how about including me into this conversation too? What are you seeing? What are you worried about? Look at Ryuuko go! She’s kicking major ass out there, so why the long faces? Come on, you bastards. How about some support or maybe even a cheer for our girl out there?”

“Haa ... as expected of you, senpai. You really don’t know crap about anything. Seeing you spew such idiotic yet confident nonsense; I don’t know whether I should laugh or feel envious of your ignorance.”

“Oh, shut up Takuya. We’re on Ryuuko’s side, so of course we’re gonna have to believe in her. Well then, Mister Perfection, since you are such the expert what is your take on all this? Come on wise guy, tell me what you think is going to happen. Ryuuko will be to be fine, yeah? She’s definitely going to win, right?” Juntaro scoffed, a bit of annoyance in his voice.

“Don’t call me that, senpai. But ... hmm ... if I could make a prediction, I would unfortunately have to say no. However, I don’t think she would lose either.”

“Oh? Whatever do you mean?” Kenjirou raised his eyebrows to his friend’s words.

“Takatora, her control over that weapon is ... fascinating. From just looking at it, I could tell it weighs a monstrous amount. Yet there she is, flying and moving around like it’s nothing. Her control over her new body, her movements, and her power really are all outstanding. Compared to that giant monster, she is easily weaving her way in and out. She’s attacking and dodging its assaults with such relative ease. She is holding out very well, but at the same time I could still see her inexperience in combat. She is doing plenty to put into practice what I taught her, but that’s just it. There isn’t any deviation so her moves are predictable and easily exploitable by those with more experience, which brings us to our problem.” Takuya explained as he carefully analyzed the battle. Although they were safely away, he could still feel the tremendous clash of force between the two that blew violently towards them.

“That monster ... it was supposed to be mindless or something now that it “lost herself” as we were told. However, every move from it still seemed to be perfectly calculated. Its enormous size compared to Takatora gives her an advantage, yes; but it is able to move so flawlessly despite its massive body. It is able to attack and defend simultaneously, as well as it seems to be focusing the most on counterattacking. Almost instinctively, might I add, leaving little to no openings. Its combat prowess is astonishing, not something that come from just talent instead from hard training and long years of experience, at least that is what leads me to believe. More than just a monster, what was it when it was a still human? A master martial artist? A soldier?”

“While Takatora has the speed and skills, this thing is countering with defense and experience. In other words, the entire fight is equivalent to that of a speeding hornet buzzing around a lumbering yet fully armored knight. It’s very evenly matched, with the only deciding factor being a lapse of judgement or a single mistake which, if that was the case, then I’m afraid Takatora might be in big trouble.” Takuya said as his eyes focused on the darting body of Ryuuko. Even in the distance, he was able to see the increasing burden of the battle on her. It was no doubt that, despite her current form, she was using a mammoth amount of energy, all while the colossal monster wasn’t showing any signs of weakening. Instead, it looked almost as if it was getting strong with every blow. It really is only a matter of time before it is to suppress the young girl, whose breathing was getting heavy with each passing moment.

“Just what the hell is that thing?” Takuya asked grimly, baffled at the true identity of the creature. He did not understand how it was possible for such a monster to be so adapt even if it did used to be “human”.

“Are you amazed; child trapped in silence? I expected you to be, heh heh heh.” Came a mocking figure that floating in front of the paralyzed boys. On their face, still cracked and broken revealing a void of darkness from the gapping holes, was a big smirk as it looked upon them with condescendence. “It is mesmerizing, isn’t it? Armadat’s splendor. Yes, after all, my dear friend was the best of the best even amongst the rest of us, for she was one who kept in her heart an unbreakable sense of justice and love for the world.”

The three boys glared at the smirking silver haired being, the faces of the group all scrunched in contempt as their eyes turned towards them.

“Just what the hell is “she”? What the hell are you?” Juntaro exclaimed. “How the heck is it possible some monster like that is able to fight so well?! Didn’t you say it was nothing more than a shell?!”

“Hmmhmm ... do you really want to know, child trapped in noncorporeal? The curiosity about “us”, it is no doubt eating at you, isn’t it?”

“Hmph ... speaking in riddles again. Don’t you get tired of such a charade?” Kenjirou scoffed, his piercing gaze fixed on the floating being who was coyly tempting them.

“I could say the same for both of us, “President”. Did you think you can hide “it” from me?”

“ ... I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Kenjirou answered, his tone of voice placid, yet there was much anger that he was trying to keep to himself and under control.

“I expected you not too. All three of you. My, my, such horrid secrets. I wonder how much of your so-called comradery is based on the fact that all of you have something to hide.” Alma said, their voice dripping with malice as they placed a broken finger on their lips. “But do not worry, for I too am very good at keeping secrets as well.”

“You motherfuc-”

“Senpai! Don’t let them get to you!” Takuya immediately stepped in. But despite his attempt to mediate, he too was filled with anger toward the silver haired being that stared at them with an empty-eye, devoid of light and life, while giggling and playing with the braid of their hair. “Tch ... so are you going to give us an explanation? Or are you just going to continue to relish in on our helplessness and ignorance?”

“Hmm ... yes, perhaps you do deserve some information. After all, you have done quite well for worms, and I believe you are due for a reward.” Alma snickered. “Armadat ... no, Sister Amia. She is the same as me. We were...;「Children of God」.”

“Huh? 「Children of God」? What do you mean?” Juntaro asked in surprised.

“In your language, it should translate to “Servants of God” or more accurately, “God’s Children”. Yes ... that was the name given to us.” A look of disgust appeared on Alma’s face as they spoke, almost as if the words they were spitting out were something foul that was in their mouth.

“You mean to say that you, and that “thing” over there; you were holy men? Like some sort of priest?” Kenjirou inquired, his eyes narrowing as he stared into the void that is Alma’s eye.

“Hmm ... perhaps that is the best your feeble minds could comprehend. Although, not exactly the kind that you might think. Ah ... how terribly nostalgic.” Alma giggled mischievously. “We were taken because we possessed something...”different”, from all the others. We were supposed to be “pure”. And with that “purity”, we were given a duty. Yet, we were nothing more than tools to be used. Weapons...”

Alma was quiet for a moment, as if reminiscing.

“Yes ... weapons for the “Almighty”. Our purpose was to “save the world”, as it was continuously foretold to us. Save the world...”

Although their face was an emotionless look, a strange feeling of shuddering could be felt in the air, as if feelings of anger was being emitted from their broken body and was suffocating the area around them.

“My sister ... oh, my dear sisters. They did not deserve any of this. For their devoted loyalty and servitude, they were repaid with betrayal. Not just them, but the whole of those who now reside within “Eden”. Even now, they are laughing. Mocking us, as we are hopelessly enslaved to their biddings, torturing all of us. Stripped of ourselves and forced to be such ... abominations. False god, oh false god ... by the unyielding rage in my broken heart, you shall pay. Mark my word.” Alma muttered underneath their breath as their eye, burning with hatred, was directed into the heavens above as if speaking to someone beyond.

The three boys watched in silence, unable to find any replies to all this. The words that came from Alma’s mouth were confusing, even as they spoke, and the boys did not understand. They could only stare at the floating figure who let out a long weary sigh, almost as if they too knew that their words held no meaning to the ones who stood frozen in place.

“Uhh ... umm ... so, “God” is real? Or are we talking about a different “God” god?” Juntaro finally uttered, scratching his head nervously as he asked through his live chat.

“Holy crap, senpai. You did not just...!!”

“What?! I ... from what little memories I had, my family were supposingly Buddhist. I mean ... I’m not really ... but ... err...”

Alma looked back at him, quiet for a moment, before suddenly bursting out in a strange cackle of amusement.

“HA HA HA. Indeed, child trapped in noncorporeal, what a questions to ask.” Alma said as they suddenly stared down at their hand. Pieces of it fell to the ground and vanished without a trace, like shattered glass, leaving behind a hollow remain of a glittering void. “「Is God real? 」How nostalgic ... Such innocent words they were ... spoken by those who were tossed away. To answer your question, sweet child of sin...;”

“No, “God” is not real.” Alma replied with a malevolent tone of voice as their mouths curved to a wicked grin.


Her giant blade flashing, Ryuuko blasted through the air as she narrowly dodged another attack from the creature’s destructive spear, the flames from the weapon slightly singeing her. Immediately taking the chance, she moved in close and violently spun her blade, bringing it down with a momentous force as the edge of her weapon hummed while tearing into her target.

But as if anticipating her movements, Armadat swiftly avoided the devastating attack. Just barely, with the force of the slash ripping the outermost part of its armored body and leaving a great mark of devastation on the ground of its connection. The shield on the monster’s left arm was thrown out in rapid succession to where Ryuuko was, a strong gust of power to collide with the young girl who was momentarily exposed.

FHWOOOM

The thrusters on Ryuuko’s weapon expelled out in full force as it dragged her away from the coming direction of the attack, pulled her from her dangerous positioning and saving her life at the last moment. Flying back a distances away, Ryuuko’s felt the earth beneath her feet again as she gasped for air, still shaken from the harrowing experience. The weapon in her hand was beating profusely even as she sunk it to the ground while she tried to catch her breath.

“Something ... something is not right...!” She muttered to herself as she once again stared with intensity at her target, stooding tall and strong still while she was starting to feel the strain on her body. It did not hurt, yet it felt like the energy that she had before was starting to fade. The fire of wrath was still burning strong within her, yet her body felt as if it was lagging behind in response. Even the voices that before murmured to her, were suddenly becoming muffled.

“What ... what is this?” She exclaimed as her redden right eye widen and revealed to her a distressing sight. The thread of emotion and life energy that was being spun and pulled upwards was being redirected. It was now converging into a single location, to where Armadat stood. A powerful aura was being emitted from its immense figure, growing stronger and stronger by the moment. She looked down and saw the same flow from the numerous destroyed corpses that laid before her. All of them were also being dragged off, the location it was drawn to was at the monster’s massive shield.

“Its taking in the life force of this world!? No way!” She gasped, nearly cursing at herself for her late realization of what had been happening. It all made sense to her now. The sense of foreboding that ate at her when she fought, that no matter how much and how hard she launched her assaults, it had not even a slightest effect on the colossal monster.

But it was not only that. There was no doubt in her mind anymore that it was biding its time. While it was getting stronger by the moment, she could feel herself weakening. She had been able to push back against it during their fight but it would only be a matter of time before she was to be overwhelmed if this was to continue.

“No ... I can’t ... I don’t stand a chance if this is to keep up.” She huffed, gritting her teeth a she struggled to contemplate a plan yet nothing came to mind. Her entire body was starting to shiver and shudder, as she closely grasped the handle of her weapon with great strength.

However, she did not give up. As grim as her situation was, she knew that there had to be a way. That losing is not an option and, clinging on to her decree, she must save her. Yet, in the distance where Armadat stood, while it was told to her that the “human” her had already been devoured and that it is nothing more than a beast that moves almost autonomously, Ryuuko felt uneased. The creature, its appearance was as if it was cruelly mocking at her. Laughing at her struggles, as if it also knew the situation at hand perfectly.

Quickly shaking herself out of such pointless thoughts, Ryuuko wrenched her weapon from the crushed grounds and steeled herself.

“Not yet. NOT YET!” She screamed as she once again charged forward. However, as she ran through the fields something was different. Armadat, instead of returning her advances, it took a different stance and held its enormous spear upward, pointing it to the skies above.

Her senses warning her of danger, Ryuuko immediately halted her charge and leapt back. The thrusters from her weapon sent her flying as she warily kept away. She felt the hair on the back of her neck standing up, as something dangerous was coming.

Letting out a great cry, a mix of a ghastly howl and a blood-chilling roar, the entire world suddenly shook as if a massive earthquake was taking place.

DOOM DOOM DOOM

Terrible thundering sounds erupted from beneath as numerous huge pillars of silvery-white sprouted from the shaking grounds, their appearance liken to that of roots of the great silvery tree that stood from behind. From the pillars then came horrid noises of bubbling and ripping. Emerging out were hands and bodies of familiar revolting white, the corpse-like creatures that from before in the ruined city.

Ryuuko watched in horror and disgust the almost instantaneously appearance of the creatures, coming from the towering pillars and hearing the appalling tortured groans and blood-shrieking moans. However, it was not only from those that they appeared. From the great tree behind also emerged monsters, all tearing to break free. The appearance of the ones that came from the tree were of similar yet different variations as they sprouted wings from their back and took to the skies.

“Uwaaah...” Ryuuko found herself gasping as her eyes washed over the literal armies of festering white and flickering of countless beads of red. There were so many, as they all immediately locked their sights to her and gave out a simultaneous ear-piercing shriek that swept across the land like a great wave.

Armadat, who stood overshadowing the great horde, a strange sound came from it reminiscent of a mocking chuckle, as it directed its spear to Ryuuko location and signaled a charge. The creatures all screamed out and immediately rushed towards the girl, their fangs bared and their claws protruding, in a wild frenzy of attack.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close