Eden Virus
Chapter 31

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

“Give you back your body? I-I don’t understand. What do you mean?”

“Oh course you don’t. You don’t understand anything, what an easy excuse. How wonderful it is, that you were allowed such blissful ignorance.” The other me spoke quietly, as I watch streams of tears floating from her eyes like bubbles as they flew away with the water. “Why? Why are you able to do so? Why was it so easy for you?”

“Huh? I...” I did not know how to answer as I watched nervously at the crying girl. “Who ... who are you?”

I asked carefully, but it was obvious to know what was going on and who she was. This entire place, was no doubt a figment of my mind. A strange place deep within my consciousness, with the me that is floating in this sea of red nothing more than a projection and the one in front of me; the girl covered in black, like a swarm of teeming darkness; must be an inner part of myself.

The girl did not reply, as if she also knew that I already had the answer. Instead she only stared at me, the white slits that were her eyes narrowing to a look of sorrow.

“Will you explain to me all of this? If you are me, then I’m sure we can talk this out and-”

“No ... you are not me.” She growled, as her voice turning low, as if annoyed by my words.

“Huh?!”

“I am ... I am the real Takatora Ryuuko. And you ... you took over my body ... you imprisoned me within myself ... and stole everything from me.” She explained as her body slowly rippled in the water.

“That ... that can’t be! I’m Takatora Ryuuko!! You’re lying! It can’t be!” I protested.

But the girl only stared at me with a look of pity even as I yelled at her.

“Please ... give me back my body. I’m so ... tired. Tired of all this. Tired of being trapped in here ... helplessly watching as you slowly destroy everything that was me.”

“NO! Why are you saying such things! It’s not possible ... not possible at all!” I screamed. Yet even as I strongly tried to protest, there was an aching pain inside me. As if deep down, what she was saying, I knew were not a lie. “If ... if you’re the real Takatora Ryuuko then ... then who ... what am I?”

“ ... That “place” ... when it first trapped all of us, it also created along an image that stole away my body. Every day, since time unknown, I could only cry and scream ... as I watch you steal away in a blissful paradise ... helplessly ... endlessly ... why?”

“Huh?”

“I ask you again; why were you able to be so? To be so happy, even if everything was just an illusion ... how? How was it so easy for you? To be able to live without shame or guilt, despite everything that had happened? Despite everything that you ... we ... I have done?” She suddenly asked me.

“I don’t know ... I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I wonder ... is it because you do not remember? No ... even if the memories had been kept from you, some should still remain. They should have returned, especially after what had happened. If you were made from me, those ... feelings should’ve still stayed with you regardless. There is no way they could have disappeared. It can’t be ... it just can’t be so unfair, that you do not feel nor remember the loneliness ... the despair ... the hopelessness that imprisoned us ... that imprison me ... it’s just not fair.” Her voice getting louder and angrier.

“I really don’t understand! I really don’t. What are you trying to say?! Please speak in a way that I could understand, I beg of you.” I cried.

“You were able to surround yourself with friends ... to be able to trust others to such an extent ... you were even willing to risk yourself for others, especially ... for her.”

The moment I heard those words, I flinched. While I did not know how to respond to her, as I did not understand any of this, there was a strange aching feeling as I knew where this was going.

“Who ... who is her?” I asked hesitantly, despite a feeling that I already knew the answer. “What are you-”

“That girl ... everything ... everything was her fault. It was all because of her ... yet you kept calling for her, as if she meant the world to you. You wanted to even protect her ... despite the fact that in our time of need ... she was the one who betrayed us. That bit-”

“STOP! That’s enough! No more of this! It’s not true! Not true at all! You’re a liar! A LIAR!” I screamed, covering my ears. “It’s ... it’s not possible! She ... Asumi is my best friend...”

Gritting my teeth, I reluctantly peeked back to the girl.

“Just who are you really?! I refuse to believe that you ... that I’m nothing more than a fake! I’m Takatora Ryuuko! I am! I have to be! Otherwise...” I desperately shouted. But even as I fought to say those words, the aching pain only grew bigger, eating away at me like a festering wound.

“Otherwise then ... everything ... everything about me will be lie ... it can’t be...” With every word I forced out, it got more difficult to breath, as if the water around me that before was no different from air, suddenly turned back into liquid and flooded my lungs.

The other me only stared at me, once again a look of pity on their face, even as I yelled and screamed. She did not say anything, but instead only reached out her right arm, a familiar human arm that was different from the blackness of the rest of her body.

I tried to back away, but as if out of my control, my left hand stretched out to hers. There was no doubt what was going to happen. I could feel it in my guts. I did not want to do this, yet there did not seem as if there was any other way. The one who called herself the “real” Takatora Ryuuko ... the outstretched hand of hers that beckoned me...

“Will ... will I remember everything?” I asked, my voice shaking as I felt the familiar touch of my own right hand wrapped around my left.

“ ... Yes ... it will be okay...” She whispered in my ears, as she pulled me closer and tightly embraced me.


“Hideyoshi ... please ... please get up.” Kenjirou begged as he cradled the lifeless body of friend in his giant arms.

“D ... dammit! Why?! Everything was going fine yet ... dammit! Dammit! GOD FREAKIN’ DAMMIT!” Juntaro screamed as tears flowed uncontrollably from his eyes. “Takuya...”

“My, my, what a touching display of affection. But what a pity, for him to meet such a terrible turn of events.” Came a mocking voice from above. Descending from the air, Alma was grinning ear to ear as they looked down towards the boys.

“YOU-!!” Kenjirou immediately threw himself at the smiling figure in anger. However, without batting an eye, Alma easily evaded him as the president wildly swung his fist.

“IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!! AAAARGHHH!”

“Heh heh..., how amusing.” Alma giggled as they reached out a finger to Kenjirou and with a single flick, he was effortlessly knocked back to the ground. “But do you really have time for such nonsense, child trapped in stillness?”

“You bastard! If it’s the last thing I do, I’ll tear you apart!!” Kenjirou roared as he got back up, his eyes burning with rage.

“Kenjirou, WAIT!” Juntaro called out to him. “Let’s calm down for a bit ... okay?”

Breathing heavily, the president reluctantly back down at the request of his friend. He fought to calm himself even as he looked at the infuriating smirk of the silver-haired being that floated slightly off the ground.

“You...! Alma ... was it? We need to talk.” Juntaro said to him, gritting his teeth as he spoke.

Like Kenjirou, he was also filled with anger at the sight of this person but he too struggled to keep himself together, as he hoped to speak to them of something he had recalled.

“And how may I be of service to you, child trapped in noncorporeal?” Alma replied cheerfully as they twirled their braid.

“I heard you before, that you said to Ryuuko you could easily control our bodies. That we contain your “essence”. You were speaking of the virus in our bodies, weren’t you?”

“Why yes. So you remembered what I said. My, that’s impressive. Heh heh, would you like me to demonstrate?” Alma laughed as they moved their finger.

“UGH!!” Kenjirou grunted as he fell to his knees.

“That’s a good look. Yes, worms such as yourself should indeed grovel in the dirt.”

“You-!!”

“That’s enough! You’ve proved your point!” Juntaro cried out.

“Heh heh.” Alma chuckled as they released him. “So what is it, child trapped in noncorporeal? Surely you have something more than just the hope to witness my splendor.”

“You ... can you bring him back to life?”

“Oh? What was that?”

“I SAID...” Juntaro calmed himself as he took a deep breath, before asking in the nicest tone of voice he could muster. “Please ... could you bring him, bring Takuya back to life.”

Alma was silent before a creepy curve slowly moved across their face as they burst out laughing. Both boys bit their lips as they could only watch with fury the person laughing manically, every sound of mockery that hit their ears slowly drove them madder yet they were unable to do anything.

“Oh, you are a funny one, child trapped in noncorporeal. Tell me, what do you view me as? You stated it before, that when you scanned me, I am just a human being, did you not? How do you expect me, just another human, to do something that would be considered within the realm of a god?”

“BULLCRAP! We know you’re the one who caused all of this, with what has happened to our bodies and with Artificial! Don’t screw with me you sonova-” Juntaro finally lost control of himself but immediately caught himself. “C-crap...”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, such temper. Is that the tone you would use to request a favor from another? I’m disappointed in you and your lack of manners, children of sin. Not to mention, this entire time, both of you have been directing nothing but hostility towards me despite my benevolence to stand before you.” Alma sighed, shaking their head as they looked over at the terrible scowl on Kenjirou’s face.

“M apologies...” Kenjirou spat as he adjusted his glasses. “But this is my normal face.”

“Hmm ... hmm ... unfortunately, I have no power over the dead. I am no god, nor am I some sort of miracle worker. Yes ... very unfortunate.” Alma looked down at their hands, a cold smile on their face. “However, those who still cling to life is a different story.”

“Huh?!”

“What?!”

“Heh, what a resilient soul your friend is. I wonder, is it because of his more ... artificial conception? It is fascinating what man would strive for, even going as far as trying the desire to play god. Hmmhmm...” Alma mused but the smile on their face disappeared as they laid eyes on the still body of Takuya. “What an interest one he is...”

“You’re saying ... that Hideyoshi is still alive?!”

“But ... but his life signal disappeared when his cells went inactive again! If he was alive, how is it possible that I’m not detecting it?!” Juntaro exclaimed as he feverishly re-ran another scan of Takuya’s body.

“Such weak equipment. Even if you are one with the electronics, I could see that you are not truly the engineer that you so boldly claim to be, child trapped in noncorporeal. I wonder, could it be from someone else that you gain such extensive technological knowledge?”

“Urk!”

“Oh, do not worry. It’ll be a secret between you and me. Teeheehee.” Alma laugh mischievously, placing a finger on their lips as they floated towards Takuya.

“Now then, your actions have impressed me quite a bit, child trapped in silence. To save my dear Eve so selflessly, I believe a reward should be in order. Arise from your slumber, child of sin; for today is not the day your sins shall be sent back to the garden of Eden.” Alma declared as they snapped their fingers.

SNAP

cough... cough ... uuhhh...” Takuya coughed violently as his body suddenly shot back to life.

“TAKUYA!”

“HIDEYOSHI!” Kenjirou exclaimed as he ran over to him, watching as his friend slowly opened his eyes. “Hideyoshi...!”

“Wha ... where ... where am I?” He asked weakly as he moved his eyes around in a daze.

“Hideyoshi! You’re alive!” Kenjirou cried as he immediately hugged his friend.

“ARRGH! IT ... HURTS! IT HURTS DAMMIT!!” Takuya screamed from the crushing bear hug of the president before pushing him away. “What the hell Prez!?”

“Hahaha, sorry, sorry. But I’m so glad. So glad you’re alive.” He replied with tears in his eyes.

“Yeah sure, but you keep squeezing me like that and I really will die. My entire body hurts like hell and ... what the heck!?” His eyes widen as he looked down to see the grotesque patch of discolored skin that was burnt into his abdomen. “What the hell is this?! Gross ... ow ... oww!”

“Take it easy Takuya! That wound is going to take some time to heal, you know.” Juntaro eased as he appeared on a live screen in front of him.

“Senpai! You-you did this didn’t you?! What the hell did you do to me?!”

“We had to perform emergency cauterization because you went and got ripped in the stomach, dumbass! And no, it wasn’t my idea to use his own freakin’ skin to replace that giant gaping hole you had. I was, in fact, very against it.” Juntaro said as he threw a dirty look at Kenjirou.

“Huh?” Takuya quickly looked over and saw the torn skin on Kenjirou’s arm. “Prez ... you.”

“Ahem ... yes. I’m just glad you’re okay.” He said as he adjusted his glasses, hiding away the wound.

“Tch ... you really are a god damn idiotic block of concrete. Come on.” Takuya sighed as he tore off the sleeve of his uniform and helped wrapped the wound on the president’s arm.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close