Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 29

The sudden appearance of blinding lights after the disappearance of the parasol-like tree leaves that covered the entirety of the skies took the A.R.C. by surprise, causing them to immediately cover their eyes from the stinging brilliance.

But despite the painful lights that felt as if it was burning their retinas, everyone was still peeking through their fingers as they tried to make out the strange figure that slowly appeared from the heavens. It was impossible to tell what it was from the distance yet its imposing silhouette, that seemed to glow even brighter than the blinding skies itself, was not something they could take their eyes off.

“Why am I getting a such a terrible sense of déjà vu? Oh man ... why are we just standing here?! Shouldn’t we run while we still can?” Takuya said as he tried to hide his face but could not turn away, as if his gaze were pulled in by some mysterious force.

“Yes. I can feel it as well.” Kenjirou agreed. In his mind he was nervously contemplating what to do and was weighing heavily on what Takuya suggested. He desperately wanted to grab everyone and make a break for it, yet he too was unable to move.

“I would kindly suggest against that. There is nowhere in this world you could run or hide away to right now.” Came the mocking voice of Alma as they stepped in front of the group, a devious smirk spread across their face. As they spoke, the strange pull that enraptured the rest of the group snapped and everyone nearly fell back as they were finally able to break away.

“Ugh ... what the-?”

“Hmph ... what in the world do you mean?”

The group all turned instead to Alma, who only laughed at their befuddled looks that now was directed at them.

“What a predicament this is, that we are all trapped in the thick of all this together. Well, Takatora Ryuuko, was this not what you wanted?” Alma jeered at Ryuuko with an icy look on their face.

“Of course not!” Ryuuko strongly refuted. Her entire body was trembling wildly. The moment she had laid eyes on the mysterious figure that appeared from the parted skies, a feeling of dread rushed over her. It was a strangely familiar feeling, as if something like this had happen before and she couldn’t stop shaking.

“Hey asshole! Leave her alone!” Came the angry voice of Juntaro as he yelled at Alma to back off.

Ryuuko turned to look to the rest of her clubmates and saw she wasn’t the only one. The look of fear were easily plastered all over their faces, even the club president’s. As if they were all also fighting to hold themselves together.

“My, what a wonderful sense of comradery all of you share. I wonder how well that will serve you in the upcoming times. Now then,” Alma sneered before turning to the figure in the skies far above. “Enough stalling. Descend upon us, oh savior of mercy!”

The moment they spoke those words, as if in response, the figure immediately came down towards them like a meteorite from the sky. It smashed into the base of the colossal tree with an incredible force of impact yet there was no a sound as it landed.

“AAAAAHHH!!”

“WHOOAAAA!!”

The A.R.C. screamed as they were knocked off their feet by the powerful and unnatural gust of wind that came at them, so strong that they were sent flying. But just as they were about to be blown away they stopped in midair, as if something had suddenly grabbed and pulled them back.

“Already looking to rid of them, are you? You never were one for patience.” Alma chuckled as they stood there unfazed.

“W-what the hell-?!” Ryuuko heard Takuya cried out in shock before watching the him and the president suddenly dropped from the air and landing on the ground with a hard thud.

“Argh!”

“Umph!!”

Only she was set down with ease, slowly lowered with care. But the moment her foot gently touched the ground, an immediate feeling of pressure fell over her. She was immobilized, unable to move a muscle. Looking to the rest of her clubmates, she saw that they were also experiencing something similar as they were held firmly on the ground.

“Takuya! Kenjirou!!”

“My body...! What is this-?!”

“Ugh!! Uugh!!”

The two boys grunted as they struggled but were completely pinned down.

“Behave yourselves now, heh heh!” Came a mocking giggle from Alma as she saw a mischievous look on their face.

“Wha-what did you do?! Hey!!” She screamed at them but her only response was Alma placing a finger on their lips, as if signaling them to keep quiet, before they turned away from her to the large dust cloud that formed where the figure had landed.

“Ahiman Retsis. Uoy si yllaer ti os...”

A strange noise, not unlike a mix of a screech and a howl, came from the dust. Ryuuko and the President winced as the sound pierced their ears. Alma, upon hearing the voice, suddenly began to laugh.

“It has been quite a long time. How good it is to see you again, Armadat.” Waving their hands, the cloud of dust instantly vanished. Where the dust had cleared, standing in the middle of a lush overgrowth of a crater was a masked young boy, no older than a teen.

Adorned in a strange luminous robe that hid their entire body, save for their head that was covered by a featureless silver mask, their appearance did not look any older than the group. Their hair was a golden color that shined like pure light, wrapped up in the appearance of two long tails that nearly reached the ground. Circling around their head was a crown of light with 4 wings tightly fashioned around it, floating slightly in the air without touching them.

“A ... h-human? No, wait ... a kid?!” Juntaro cried out in shock yet he spoke the word with heavy hesitation. The entire group felt the same way.

Everyone that looked at the boy, while it was the appearance of a human being, felt a strange sense of unease. As, although their eyes were telling them that the one standing before them was human, every other sense screamed otherwise. Echoing in their mind that this person, this “thing” in front of them, was not anything of the same species as they were.

The strange silvery mask worn by the boy showed no signs of separation from it and their face. There was no telling where the mask ended and where the face began, as if it was melded together with their skin. The only sign of difference was a singular eyehole, where the boy’s eye peeked out from.

The eye that stared out, while it shined every color possible, was completely empty. There was no indication of an iris, as if lacking any signs of light. And the boy, though their body was heavily covered by the robe, their entire figure was reminiscent of something that of a doll. Cold, rigid and uncanny; it showed no sign of normal movement or life.

A deep feeling of unexplained fear ran through the immobile bodies of the A.R.C. as they all stared at the boy with bewilderment and a feeling of disgust, yet they were unable to look away no matter how hard they tried. No one made a sound, as they could only quietly observe the events unfold between the two mysterious being.

The boy, while their body did not move, began to slowly flicker their peeking eye in an unsettling manner, as if searching for something.

“Em hguorht gnivom era taht sevaw lacinortcele era ereht. Gnihtemos ... em gnizylana si ohw?” Came more strange noises from the boy, this time more deeper as if it was in anger.

“Heh heh ... indeed, how annoying. Child trapped in noncorporeal; it would be best if you rescind your scanner. You are wasting your time and energy, and further only risking yourself.” Alma spoke loudly, their tone of voice were menacing as if a direct command.

“Urk! H-how...?!” Juntaro immediately caught that the demand was directed at him. Reluctantly, he pulled back his scanner as he could feel a sense of danger.

“Elpoep esoht ... nis htiw dellif era yeht. Ees i ... gniod ruoy saw ti, namihA. Su morf nelots evah uoy seno eht era yeht, ythgimlA eht morf nekat evah uoy taht krA eht morf.” The boy’s eye slowly glanced over at the paralyzed bodies of the group before stopping directly at Ryuuko.

Upon meeting their eyes, she immediately flinched as a cold shiver raced down her spine.

“Eve...”

Alma floated in front of them, breaking the strangling eye contact between the two.

“Temper yourself now, oh Savior of Mercy. I will not allow any untimely manners of misconduct to befall her just yet, not at the moment of our lovely reunion.”

“Eugnot namuh ni gnikaeps er’uoy, namihA. Sey, uoy no decalp snoitcirtser eht etipsed aedraK otni toof tes ot elba era uoy woh esnes sekam ti won. Lrig taht si ti ... uoy t’nevah ydob reh ni flesruoy denifnoc evah uoy? ythgimlA eht yb detnarg esidarap fo sdaerht eht reves lliw taht edalb lufhtarw eht ... reh dnuof yllanif evah uoy os. Yad siht dedaerd lla evah ew.”

“Well, well ... you are quite well informed, Armadat. Have Arha told you of all this? That nuisance...” Alma jeered before changing their tone of voice. “Human tongues, huh...? Indeed, otherwise they would not be able to understand me, as they do not currently understand you. You’re also seeing me as I am, this body of mine nothing more than a reflection, but I am just as surprised as the state you chose to greet me in. Could it be, that you have not come to engage me?”

There was no noise from the boy, as they only continued to glare at a smirking Alma.

“No ... I doubt that would be possible. You are now a loyal servant of “them”, aren’t you? How disheartening, to know that you are serving the monster that stole everything from us. Out of everyone, you were the one I had hope to not be subjected to such a cruel fate.”

“Eesrevo ot deksat saw I erehw otni toof deppets derad uoy tey, detpurroc evah uoy esoht gnola gnignirb, noitavlas thguorb neeb sah taht detrevnoc eht gnillik, ythgimlA ruo snetaerht taht dees eht gniraeb dna, em erofeb meht kcom ot erad neve sa llew sa! Ymehpsalb etulosba!” The air around the boy began to crackle as an intense feeling of hostility began to emit from them. Slowly, their body began to twitch and shake as if possessed.

“It was not of my intention to have to appear before you at all, Armadat. Indeed, I had hoped to destroyed the god’s vessel and escape before your descent but alas, there was some ... complications.” As Alma spoke, they glanced over at Ryuuko and gave a sly smile before turning back towards the boy. “But how unfortunate it is, that such a thing would be unavoidable.”

The boy let out a loud cry of pain as suddenly the body that was hidden underneath the robe violently burst apart. Their limbs enlarged and bubbled as they contorted to a grotesque shape with the sickening sound of bones cracking and flesh tearing.

“H ... holy crap! W-w-w-WHAT THE HELL?!” Takuya cried out in horror as everyone helplessly watched the terrifying scene unveil before their very eyes.

“Dammit! Why can’t we move! What did you do to us monster!!” Kenjirou screamed out in rage as he fought to break his bindings, but he was still strongly bonded by the intense pressure that held them down.

“Alma! Release us right now!!! Please!!” Ryuuko begged but Alma only ignored her pleas and kept their eyes on the transformation of the boy.

What was once a figure of the boy was now in a crude and alien shape of a completely different being. Towering over them in a regal shape of something reminiscent of a knight, cladded in silvery flesh-like armor that was covered in bizarre moss-like foliage, as if it was some ancient relic from the earth, yet still giving off the sense of brilliance as it effortlessly reflected the lights that shined upon it. On its left side was formed a large shield that covered the entirety of its arm that it slowly adjusted itself.

In the middle of its massive body was the emerging figure of what looks to be the human body of the boy. Its flesh was now melded together with the silvery white of the rest of its alien body, with only part of its torso, arms and pelvis in a strange shape reminiscent of a cross. Just below its “neck”, was a second head that was poking out from the chest with a single giant eyeball that wildly darted around, its pupil diluting and shrinking as if adjusting itself like the lens of a camera.

On its first head where it wore the floating crown of light, two of its four wings were unbounded as an angelic glow of a halo shined from its back.

“Is this the shape of a savior bestowed upon you? How fitting. You have always spoke of your desire of becoming something akin to a being of justice. Yet, how they have twisted you so.” Alma jeered yet their voice was also spoken in a tone of sadness despite there being no change in their facial expressions.

“My dear friend ... oh how I wish to weep for you and the rest of the deceived. But the one who holds my restriction of mortality is none other than you, isn’t it? Was this part of your plan, oh false god? That I would have to subdue those I once held dear before I could reach you? Cruel ... how truly cruel you are.”

Despite their words, there were no tears on Alma face as they looked up to the now giant figure of a monstrous being that overshadow them as it let out a sound of a powerful roar.

“Armadat ... I do not wish to face you. Is this truly the only way?”

The creature was silent for a moment, before the strange noise from before came from it again.

“ ... Rotiart a era uoy, noitavlas su fo lla thguorb taht eno eht ot taerht a dna rennis a. Em erofeb flesruoy nwohs ev’uoy taht won eb ot uoy wolla tonnac i. ythgimlA eht fo eno nesohc eht sa, Uoy nopu tnemegduj ssap llahs i. Taht erofeb tub, ecno ylno uoy ksa lliw I; drol ruo morf nelots evah uoy krA eht si erehw? seavoN soreT neddih uoy evah erehw?!” On their “right arm” unfolded a bladed spear from their shoulders that they directed at Alma.

“Hmph ... you’re speaking of the chalice that contained the last vestige of humanity? Do you really expect me to tell you, when it was the false god that first so greedily plundered it from us? Do not speak nonsense. Judgement? How arrogant.” Alma spat scornfully even as the weapon was wavering right in their face.

“Noitavlas srennis eht yned ot thgir on evah uoy, feiht!”

“And you have no right to feed them to that gluttonous fiend that so cruelly deceived and devoured the whole of Eden. But enough, if this is how is must be then there is no point in this conversation anymore. It hurts me greatly, but even if it is you or any of the others, if you are to stand in my path towards the false god; then I shall remove you, oh merciful one!” Alma declared.

With a snap of their fingers, the immobilized body of the group were finally freed. Quickly leaping back to their feet, Kenjirou and Takuya drew their weapons at Alma.

“You bastard!! How dare you!”

“Hmph, I knew it was unwise to lower my guard around you for even a moment. Prepare yourself!”

But despite the hostility directed at them, Alma only chuckled.

“It would not be wise to come any closer. My standing here is the only thing between you and certain annihilation. If you’re going to be directing violence, direct it to the who hopes to pass “judgement” upon us.”

The two immediately stopped in their tracks as they turn their head back to the towering creature that stood away from them.

“What in the...” He gasped as he and Takuya slowly backed away.

“My god...” Takuya croaked.

“It’s unfortunately, but your prayers will fall on deaf ears, child trapped in silence. Amusing isn’t it? This is the shape of what a puppet, one that have betrayed the whole of humanity looks like. Savor it well, children of sin.” Alma responded mockingly.

“What the flying hell are you talking about you bastard?! None of this make any sense!” Juntaro screamed as he finally felt he’d reached his breaking point in all of this madness. “DAMMIT KENJIROU! TAKUYA! LET’S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW!”

“S-senpai! Please calm down!”

Everyone turned to the sudden voice of Ryuuko, who had been silently watching everything. She stood firm, but it was plain to see that her legs were shaking. She looked as if she was ready to collapse at any moment.

Taking a deep breath, she began to speak again.

“Alma ... you were talking to that “thing”, weren’t you? I heard you, you called it a friend. Please, explain to us what is going on. Who is that? And is that really ... a human being?”

“Indeed. Why? Are you hesitant again? Despite standing before you in such a monstrous form, were you hoping to reason with Armadat as you did with me on the basis of once being “human”?” Alma responded. There was no emotion in their voice, and although it was a jeer it was not spoken in any tone of mockery.

“I...” Ryuuko stuttered, taking another deep breath as she tried to calm her nerves.

“Takatora Ryuuko ... Eve, I wonder about you. You’re speaking in hesitation, such reluctant to violence yet through your eyes I could see it all too clearly. Yes ... I can see her very well. I wonder, will she eventually take over and devour the weaker you who stands before us, cowering like an infant. If so, it would be most disappointing.” Alma mumbled underneath their breath.

“Wha-?! What are you even talking about?! I don’t understand!” She replied in confusion.

“You’ll see soon enough. But right now, Takatora Ryuuko; you have only two paths that lay before you. I’ve warned you before, about coming back to these fools.” Alma shot a look of disgust at the boys.

“This asshole-” Takuya cursed, enraged but felt a giant hand on his shoulder.

“Hold it...” Kenjirou interjected, stopping him. Takuya looked up at him and nearly jumped as he saw a terrifying scowl on his face. The president was just as mad and he was suppressing his anger, but it was easy to feel the rage that he was giving off.

“Stop provoking them! And what do you mean by two paths? Enough with the riddles. Will you just speak normally?!” Ryuuko huffed as she was getting fed up with the annoyance of Alma’s speeches.

“No. It’s more amusing to see you so riled up.” Alma snickered.

“Grrr ... what are these two paths then?”

“Sacrifice these fools, and escape with me. By using these three as distractions, I can easily slip away with you. They will die, of course, but we will be safe.” Alma said, with a terrifying smile that was warped and distorted, a look that did not even seem humanly possible. Ryuuko, who saw the look on their face, felt her heart stopped for a moment.

“Wha-bastard!!”

“Hmph...”

“You can’t be serious! Ryuuko, don’t listen to this jackass!!”

SNAP

As Alma snapped their fingers, the two boy’s arms suddenly shot up on their own and tightly wrapped themselves around their necks.

“Urk!”

“What the-Ugh!!”

“Takuya! Kenjirou!”

“You are nothing but worms that have tried to burrow yourself into the fruit of knowledge. Do not think of yourselves as anything more than expandable pawns, you worthless fools. It is also your fault that that she is hesitant like this.” Alma growled as the boys helplessly strangled themselves.

“Wait! Stop! What are you doing?!” Ryuuko immediately interjected.

“I can control these fools with ease. A simple matter, as they contain my essences of sins.”

“The virus!! So it was you-AAAGH!” Juntaro screamed as he was suddenly electrocuted.

“But you, you are different Takatora Ryuuko. You are “pure”. You have already long suppressed the sins given to you and made them your own. You are “innocent” and “perfect”. That’s why, you are my friend. You are my Eve. I cannot control you, so the choices you make here will be purely of your own.”

“Sins...? Pure ... innocent? What does that all mean?” Ryuuko repeated the words carefully as she nervously backed away. Her heart was pounding as she desperately tried to make sense of what Alma was saying. She looked over and saw the struggling of her two clubmates, as they were slowly being choked by their own hands. “But ... but there’s no way I can do something like that. You can’t possibly expect me to let them die. So release them this instant!!”

Alma snapped their fingers again and the boys’ grip loosen from their necks as they fell to the ground, gasping for air.

“Takatora-...”

“Dammit...!”

“Then you only have one other path, Takatora Ryuuko; kill Armadat.” Alma proclaimed in a commanding yet emotionless manner as they point their finger toward the monstrous figure that stood away from them.

“!! ... But ... but isn’t that your friend?! You’re asking me to kill ... to kill your friend?!” Ryuuko stuttered. “And not only that how would...”

“Was ... that was my friend. But now, over there, is nothing more than a shell, a puppet and an insult to what was once someone I held dear. What’s wrong Takatora Ryuuko, don’t tell me this is also something you are unable to do as well?”

“You can’t be serious.” Ryuuko turned to the monstrous figure that loomed over all of them. No matter how she looked at it, there would be no way possible for her to harm, let alone kill, something of this magnitude. But more than that, there was still the thought that violently ate at her at the back of her mind.

Even though this thing was in such a shape, it was human. Alma spoke in past tense when referring to them, but it was indeed human. A human being. And now, her only option is...

“There must be another way!” She exclaimed. “There has to be! You can’t possibly mean to tell me my only option is to k-kill others!”

“If you’re thinking about diplomacy, unfortunately that is not an option available to you. You see, in the eyes of Armadat; you are all sheep. And what shepherd would negotiate with the likes of those they deemed to be nothing more than their mindless flocks.”

“Wha-what are you talking about?”

“What’s more, Takatora Ryuuko; you and I are Armadat’s main targets. Do you not understand that you, who are my chosen Eve and Eden’s destroyer, is the biggest threat that currently stand in this world? You don’t have any other options. Either Armadat is to be killed, or these fools are to die for us, for there is no way I would allow you to be taken away from me. Now, quit wasting time and choose.”

“You can’t ... this ... I ... I...!!” Ryuuko stammered. Her mind was drawing a blank on what to do. The situation that laid before her was tearing her apart. No matter how much she tried to think, there was no answers. Everything felt so helpless, as she felt her mind on the edge of shattering.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close