Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 27

Cold...

Everything felt so cold, as if my entire body has been incased in ice. Weakly, I moved my fingers without opening my eyes.

The sensation of movement spread across my frozen body as I felt the twitch of my muscles. A feeling of inner warmth arised, as it slowly moved to meet with the bitter outer coldness that surrounds me.

My eyelids remained closed as the two mix of feelings brought about a dreamlike trance. Half-awake, half-asleep, the lucid change of temperatures danced throughout my entire body.

Warm ... cold ... warm ... and cold again...

Where my head was resting, I felt a familiar sensation as it was elevated above the ground. The gentle comfort of another person’s lap; a strangely cold yet tender touch.

Am I still sleeping? Am I still dreaming?

I kept my eyes shut, even as blotches of light appeared in my eyelids like fireworks in the night skies. This moment of peace, I was afraid of breaking it.

“If I am to move ... if I am to open my eyes; would it all end?” Came the selfish thoughts in my dazed mind as I felt tears flowing down my cheeks.

“Asumi...” Weakly, the words left my mouth. It was the only luxury I could afford, in this delicate state where my mind and body fought to stir yet remained still.

“Do not cry, Takatora Ryuuko...” Came the reply of a familiar voice, as I felt a cold yet gentle finger wiping the tears away from my face.

My eyes popped open as I leapt to my feet, only for my still slumbering legs to give out on me.

“AH!!” I screamed, bracing myself for the impact. But as I fell on what should be ground, there was no pain. Where I landed was instead emptiness, as if I was stand floating in a void, yet every touch sent ripples throughout the place.

Looking down through the translucent floor was a field of flowers that stretched further than my eyes could reach. Their image was reminiscent of a mirage. Furiously shaking my head to ensure I wasn’t hallucinating, I watched as they swayed and danced despite the lack of wind.

Everything was so confusing, I struggled to wrap my head on all that is around me. Neither below nor above made any sense. Where what was to be the skies, was nothing more than an empty abyss of white with no beginning nor end. Yet even so, despite the bizarre scenery that laid before me, my focus instead was turned towards the person floating in front of me.

“Alma!” I called to them, spitting the name out like poison as I met with their soul-less eyes. There they stood like the ghastly image of a phantom, floating slightly above the lucent grounds yet continuous ripples formed beneath their feet. Hearing me called their name, they responded with a disturbing smile and a small wave.

“Hello again, Takatora Ryuuko. It is good to see you.” Alma spoke in a overtly casual tone, as if addressing a close friend. “I must say, you have done very well. Thanks to you, I am once again able to step foot in this world. Ah ... how wonderful...”

“Wha ... what are you talking about?!” I exclaimed as I nervously looked around. What did they mean, “thanks to me”? What have this psychopath done?!

“I wonder can you feel it as well, Takatora Ryuuko? The flow of emotions that pour into this world. Endlessly being spun into threads that strangles both the sinners and the innocents. How marvelous ... how sickening...”

“Huh?! What are you even—I don’t understand what you’re saying at all!” I scoffed, baffled at their nonsensical words. Yet, for some reason, I felt a curiosity to understand what they meant. Against my better judgement, I closed my eyes.

BABUMP

Faint heartbeats not of my own suddenly rang out in my head, taking me by surprise. It was weak and small, yet the rhythmic beat was as if I was hearing the sounds of numerous other people all at once.

BABUMP BABUMP BABUMP

Slowly, the echoing of hearts grew louder, along with the gnawing feeling of panic that ate at me. But just as I was to re-open my eyes, my body suddenly got calm. No longer was my heart racing but instead was beginning to beating in sync, like beautiful music that danced throughout my mind.

It was strange, as for a brief moment—I felt a sense of indescribable happiness.

Everything ... everything felt at peace.

“Ah ... what ... what was that?” I choked as I finally opened my eyes. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks as the mysterious, yet wonderous feelings vanished as quickly as it came.

“As I have expected, you felt it. How was it, the feelings of pure bliss?” Alma snickered. I looked up to meet with a condescending smirk as they continued to speak. “But not yet. You are yet to be able to sever and free it from the cruel grasp of paradise, my dear Eve.”

“Eve ... you called me that before. What does it mean? Please tell me, where are we?” My voice cracked as I begged for answers. The tears were still flowing uncontrollably from my eyes, as I carefully ruminated the lingering feelings from mere moments before.

“This is Eden’s “garden of mercy”; Kardea. I welcome you, Takatora Ryuuko.” Alma responded as they gave me a small bow. “For you are Eve; my friend, and...”

A terrifying grin slowly spread across their emotionless face.

“Eden’s destroyer.”


“Hideyoshi! Hideyoshi!” Kenjirou called to his underclassmen, trying to wake him.

“Whoever is shaking me ... please stop. Everything hurts like hell and you’re making it worse.” Takuya mumbled as he slowly opened his eyes to the familiar scary looking face of his club president.

“Hideyoshi! You’re awake!” He cried out in joy.

“Tsk, and I was just about to do it too. Must you ruin everything, Takuya?” Juntaro said as he popped up on his live screen.

“Senpai, I’ve been up for less than a minute and I already don’t know what the hell you’re yammering on abou- ... wait a minute.” He looked down to see the cellphone placed firmly on his chest before immediately leaping to his feet. “OH HELL NO-ouch! Ouch, ouch ouch!”

“Hideyoshi, take it easy. You’re still hurt.”

“Don’t give me that crap! You were about to let that bastard do his bullcrap electrotherapy on me, weren’t you?! And after what happened last time-ow ... ow...” Takuya exclaimed, as he struggled to stand upright.

“ ... You were sleeping for a while. But rest assured, I would’ve stopped him if he happened to go too far.” The president replied, a guilty look on his face as he helped him up.

“You asshole! And after I specifically told you to never do that again!”

“Oh, don’t be such a baby. I was going to set it to medium this time. It would have been fine ... probably.” Juntaro snickered.

“Screw you! I still have burn marks on places I didn’t know could scar thanks to you, you electronic piece of shi-”

“Stop!” Kenjirou quickly jumped in and broke them up. “We have more important matters to attend to. Now, Mitsuhide tell me; what have you gathered about this place we are currently in?”

The three of them turn their face towards the colossal silvery tree that stands before them.

“Hmm ... unfortunately not much. As I told you after you awoke, I’m running at minimum power. But even if I wasn’t, there isn’t much I could do because of the limited range of my scanner, due to the lack of any electrical outlets in this place.” Juntaro sighed as he explained his predicament.

“So this place is a deadzone, as it was with where we previously came from. Then that means, the two places might be the same. Or at least, part of the same world.” Takuya said.

“It’s possible, I can’t refute that for now. However, from what little information I was able to compile, there are two things I can confirm. Tell me, have you guys ever heard of the 「The World Tree」?

“「The World Tree」? Kenjirou asked.

“I think senpai means “the tree of the world”. If I remember correctly, that’s from mythology isn’t it? More specifically, Norse?” Takuya contemplated as he scratched his chin.

“Yes. The 「The World Tree」, also known as the “tree of life” or “tree of knowledge”, from various other stories, is a giant tree that is said to stand in the center of the world, that connects the heavens, earth and hell.” Juntaro explained.

“But, what does that have to do with anything?” Takuya scoffed.

“I was getting to that. From my scans of this place, I have concluded, that tree standing over there is of something similar. All my readings indicate that is what’s currently holding together this entire world.”

“Hmph ... I see.”

“Whoa ... that would explained why when I attacked it, it felt as if I was crushed by an incredible weight similar that to the entire world. That’s crazy.” Takuya exclaimed. “But what does it mean? Are we supposed to be in some mythological world or something now?”

“Don’t be an idiot. This is real life, not some made-up fantasy. So even if we are to be in such a world, it wouldn’t be a “mythological world”, it would be reality.”

“So just a roundabout way of saying yes? Seriously...”

“Oh shut up.”

“Mitsuhide, you said it this “World Tree” connected heaven, earth and hell, correct?” Kenjirou interjected as he slowly glanced around. “Then does that mean ... this is heaven?”

“We’re not dead yet, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“Heaven, ha! If that really was the case, then senpai would’ve never made it here. Not in a million years.” Takuya laughed.

“Why you-!”

“I do question how we got here. If this place was somehow connected to that other world, that if somehow one was able to step into this place ... could it be possible...” Kenjirou suddenly said quietly.

“ ... Don’t get your hopes up, Prez. It’ll only hurt more.” Takuya interjected, as he quickly understood what Kenjirou was trying to get at.

“Hmph ... I know.” Kenjirou replied with a sad grimace. “Mitsuhide, what’s the other thing you’ve confirmed?”

“That tree, it’s alive.”

“All trees are alive. I could’ve told you that, geez.” Takuya sighed as if he had heard something stupid.

“Grrr ... what I meant, is that the tree is sentient. When Takuya struck it before, it let out life signals not unlike an animal. The outer appearance is of a tree, but I believe that it is actually a living being, a creature of some sort. In fact, there’s a large amount of life readings coming from it, as if its a compilation of multiple living things all together.”

“Hmm ... how curious.” Kenjirou mumbled as he fixed his gaze on the giant tree.

“Prez, when you were trapped within that tree did you experienced anything at all?” Takuya asked.

“No, nothing. At least nothing that I can recall. What happened to me?”

“When we found you, you were wrapped up by that tree’s strange roots and they were draining your life. Luckily we got you out of there and your body right now is nominal, but you were in terrible danger.”

“I see ... thank you both, for saving me. And...” A sudden look of guilt appeared on his face as he glanced over at Takuya, before turning away. “I’m sorry...”

“Tch ... you’re sorry? My ass you are.” Takuya clicked his tongue. “You think your half-ass apology is going to be enough?”

“Huh?” Kenjirou turned back to him in surprise as he met with an angry look on his face.

“You thought I forgot, didn’t you?” Takuya scoffed as he got closer.

WHAM

“Whoa! What the hell Takuya?!”

“ARGH! Damn you and that rock-hard head of yours!” Takuya cursed as he grabbed his aching fist. They were shaking, as if he had just punched a thick wall.

Unfazed by the sudden blow, Kenjirou adjusted his glasses and looked to his friend with concern.

“Are you alright, Hideyoshi?”

“You big bastard-!” Takuya growled. “Now answer me, you big bastard; WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU TRYING TO PULL BACK THERE?!”

“ ... I don’t know what you mean!”

WHAM

Takuya’s fist flew as he once again punched him in the face.

“Stop, you’re only going to hurt yourself...”

“SCREW YOU!” He screamed as he threw another towards him, only for the club president to catch both his arms.

“AAAAHH!”

CLONK

“OOF” Kenjirou grunted as he was knocked off his feet by the sudden force of the headbutt. His head was in a daze as he looked to see Takuya towering over him, clutching his head with his right hand, as blood dripped down his face, before grabbing him by the collar with his left and pulling him up to his face.

“Listen to me and listen to me well, you self-serving sack of crap! Don’t you ever DARE try to pull that heroic B.S again! This isn’t the first time you’ve done it and, frankly, I’m sick of it! Remember this; if you are to ever die, I will never, ever, ever, EVER forgive you for betraying the promise we made to Mayu-senpai that day! DO YOU HEAR ME?!”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close