Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 23

Today was the day. I was alone in the female changing room. My stomach felt like it was tied in multiple tight knots. My legs could not stop shaking from a mix of fear and anticipation. As I got dressed, my hand was trembling so much I couldn’t even button my clothes up properly.

I’m scared. I’m scared. I’m really scared...

SMACK

I slapped myself.

“What am I even thinking?! If I don’t do this, Asumi and everybody in this world will be in danger!” I yelled at myself. “I can’t let that happen. I have to ... I must protect them!”

But even so, I was still scared.

KNOCK KNOCK

“Takatora, are you almost ready?” Called a gruff voice from outside the changing room.

“Y-yes! Just a minute!”

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. I didn’t have a choice.

“Whether I want to or not, I must do this.” I pulled my glove on with my teeth and clutched my fist. The memory of my recent encounter with Alma filled my mind, as I recalled everything they had said to me.

“I ... I’m not a monster.” I said out loud, with every ounce of courage I could muster. “I’m human, and I won’t let them have their way with me anymore!”

Slowly, I could feel myself calming down.

“That’s right ... I can do this. I will do this, for the sake of everybody.” These thoughts gave me strength, as I made my way towards the door.

Every step, my heart beating with confidence.

But deep down, I was still scared.


The boys waved to me as I made my way towards them. They were all fully dressed and armed.

“Takatora, good to see you.” The president called to me. He was sporting an oversized bullet-proof vest over his uniform. It was huge and looked so heavy, yet it didn’t seem as if it bothered him one bit. He loomed over us, like a giant statue. His hands were bandaged, and he wielded what looked to be a make-shifted pair of brass knuckles that wrapped over his fists. His eyes were glaring, but filled with determination that shone through even his glasses. On his face was a terrifying scowl, one that could easily send shivers down your spine, yet this time; I was not scared. Instead it brought me a strange feeling of ease as I felt a sense of command from him, ready to lead us.

“Let’s do this.” Hideyoshi said, smiling as he adjusted the headphones that fully covered his ears and draped over his head. Compare to the president and me, he was not wearing as much protective gear but was still fully armed. Throughout his body were sheaths, carefully lined in specific positions, each specially designed so that they would be locked in place yet was supposed to still able to be pulled out with ease. I counted at least 8, not including any of those that might be hidden underneath his clothes. On his face was a relaxed yet confident look, as if he was more than prepared for anything. Looking at him, it also gave me a feeling of confidence as well.

“I’ve already locked on to the coordinates we’ll be needing to go. With all our preparations completed, we can move out at any time. Ryuu- ... I mean, Takatora, are you ready?” Senpai stumbled as he spoke to me in a more formal tone.

I carefully took a deep breath and nodded my head. “Yes, I am.”

“Awesome.”

I waited as senpai then transferred himself to me. I was wearing a special fitted bullet proof vest over my uniform, with utility belts wrapped around my chest and waist above my skirt. They were all made with pockets focusing on the left side of my body, each containing color labeled cellphones, yet were also carefully weighed on the right side so I would not lose balance. Strapped on the side of my left thigh, just above my sheath, was a holster that senpai made for me to carry the coilgun. I pulled it out with ease and feel it hum the moment senpai jumped into it.

“Alright everybody, let’s go!”


We made our way through the city following the coordinates provided. The blazing sun blared down on us and sweat was rolling down my neck as we trudged on. We were moving at a steady pace, as of importance, yet we were not in a rush. As I looked to the backs of the others leading the way the thoughts came to me; are they also scared?

Could it be this speed we were moving at, was not because we could not go any faster but instead because we want to savor the little time we currently have here? The worried thoughts were flooding my mind and again was making me nervous and very anxious. But I also felt a sense of ease at the idea that they too, might be feeling the same as I am.

“Turn a corner on this alley, and it should be there.” Senpai announced.

Following his directions, we all stepped into the narrow alleyway and in the distanced, we were greeted with the sight of a Channel. It hid in the shadows of this darken path yet was illuminating, like a beacon that called to us as we slowly approached it. Everyone promptly stopped in front of the ominous shining door.

BABUMP BABUMP BABUMP

I could hear it. Not just the sound of my own wildly thumping heart, but of the others as well.

“So this is it then? Through this door, we will face our destinies. Heh...” Hideyoshi chuckled, yet his voice trembled as he spoke.

“Hmph...” The president grunted in response. I could see the sweat on his giant forehead.

Nobody moved. Everyone was frozen, as if we were all desperately trying to prolong this brief moment of peace.

“So, shall we go?” The president’s gruff voice finally broke the silence. He reached his right hand out to the shiny door and readied to grab its handle.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close