Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 20

“You don’t have to, if you don’t want to. It might be a bit difficult for you, considering your current ... condition.” The president spoke to me in a rough, yet concerned, tone of voice.

“Please, I do want to help.” I replied, shaking my head.

“Hmph ... suit yourself.”

I followed closely behind him as we walked through the busy streets. There were so much noise and people, one could easily get lost.

To prepare for the ensuring event, we were to gather supplies. The president was to go and bring back as many tools that could be used as weapons, and I decided to tag along.

“In Artificial, there aren’t any actual weapons. Major things like guns and bullets, or smaller ones like sharp blades don’t exist. They can’t be found anywhere, almost as if they were all filtered out.” The president explained to me. “While it makes this world very safe, it also is an inconvenience for our situation.”

“I see...”

“That’s why, we have to make do with what we can find. While things like switchblades don’t exist, there are still kitchen knives and other utensils, although they are dulled down. Thus, we try to sharpen them the best that we could and turn them into something usable as weapons.”

“So that’s why you and Hideyoshi were carrying all those knives when we first met.”

“Hmph...” He replied with a grunt.

I gazed upon his wide back as we continued on our way. Watching as this lumbering giant of a man walked past crowds of people, he stood out like a giant signpost. He was also not very talkative, moving without even striking a single conversation yet when he did speak, it was only in seriousness and nothing else. His firm stance was quite admirable, but it made the entire trip very awkward as we both walked about in almost complete silence.

“Over here.” He growled as we turned a corner and arrived at what seems to be a shopping district.

“Artificial really is strange. Why is it that there are stores and buildings if the people themselves are controlled by it? What is the point if the people are just going to be moved the way it wants them to and all basic needs are already fulfilled?” I asked curiously.

“Hmm ... it is a mystery.” The president replied gruffly. “It might be just to keep up appearances.”

“Huh?”

“Seeing as how Artificial still allowed the people to move about freely, it would be even stranger if they are to wander around on an empty plane. No amount of memory manipulation would solve that, I believe.”

“I guess so?” I tilted my head in confusion. “Why does this world exist? And why does it see a requirement to manipulate the people, yet still allowed them freedom?”

“Don’t concern yourself too much for now. It is best we stay focus on our objective. All those question, everything else, is better saved for another time.” The president replied as he adjusted his glasses. His voice was cold and almost emotionless as he spoke.

Could it be that, the questions I’m asking, are agitating him?

They have told me that there is still much they do not know. It make sense that me asking such confusing questions that none of us knew the answer to, was nothing more than a nuisance. Even so... ,

“Haaa...” I sighed, as I scratched my chin. I have so many questions, yet knowing there is no answer for any of them is so aggravating. So little make sense, and every time I tried to make sense of it, my head hurts.

“Takatora, over here.” The president called to me.

“Y-yes!” I shook my head to clear away all the confusing thoughts and quickly ran over to him.

We went into a hardware store and made our way towards the cooking utensils. Looking around, it seems that he was right. Many of the kitchen knives were very dull, looking more like butter knives. They could chop, and maybe even slice if applied enough force, but using them as weapons would be impossible.

“Hmm...” I watched as the president took out various sets of knives and carefully inspected them.

“Is there something specific we should be looking for with said knives?” I asked.

“Yes. The size, the material, it’s durability. All of those are important. We also must account for the balance and grip as well. Otherwise it becomes a hassle, especially if it is to be quickly discarded and replaced.” He explained to me.

“I didn’t know so much were needed to make for an effective weapon.”

“You can take that up with Hideyoshi since these knives are for him. He’s very picky when it comes to what can be used.”

“Eh? Really?” I was taken by surprise. “Will you not use them, president?”

He shook his head. “No, these knives don’t fit in my hand. I am also not as nimble as Hideyoshi when it comes to using them as weapons. I prefer bludgeon equipment, or simply my fist if I must.”

“Oh...” I looked at his giant hands. No doubt if he did punch someone or something with them, it would cause severe damage.

“You should also decide what weapons would be best suited for you.” He said as he continued to look over the knives. “It is important you use something that is most comfortable to you, as well as being able to rely on in a pinch.”

“I’ve never fought before, let alone use weapons.” I replied meekly.

“First time for everything then. Remember that where we have to go, your survival will depend on it.”

I looked down at the ground. It’s true that we’re going to have to go back to that terrible place and will have to deal with those monsters again. They won’t care for any sentiments or mercy, and will only look to kill us. To have to face them again ... my body shuddered at the thought.

“Ah ... forgive me.” The president said in a low calming voice as he noticed my trembling body. “We shouldn’t be forcing so much on you. You are a girl and unfortunately, do have some inconvenience due to your right arm.”

“R-right...” I moved my left hand towards my right shoulders. As I felt it, I remember what I was told by Hideyoshi; about the president and Senpai. “Umm ... president?”

“What is it?” He replied without looking away from the knives.

“Hideyoshi, he told me about everyone’s conditions.”

The president paused, before speaking again.

“Oh. So he told you about us, huh?” The president carefully placed the knives down. “If you’re worried about us, I would say that you shouldn’t take our conditions into too much consideration. We have long gotten used to it by now.”

“Even so ... I can’t even imagine how it must be. Compared to everyone else, I... , “

“Then I’m glad. I would never want anyone else to experience any of this.” The president turned to me. His eyes were the usual piercing gaze yet there was a sense of calm and serenity. “We all have an equal ground in terms of our conditions. Hideyoshi, Mitsuhide, and you. You shouldn’t have to feel as if your pain is any less than ours.”

“Y-yes...” I slowly nodded my head. His words were similar to Hideyoshi’s. He was right that we are all suffering the same. Even if I couldn’t fully comprehend his condition, nor Hideyoshi’s nor senpai’s, in a way there is no way for them to comprehend mine either. Yet still ... all of us are in the same situation.

I slightly squeezed my shoulder, feeling the strange sensation of my right arm despite nothing there.

“President, I will do what I can ... to the best of my abilities.”

He was quiet. He stared at me, before turning his attentions back to the knives.

“Of course. But don’t push yourself. Ah ... I hope that doesn’t come off as condescending.” He replied as he adjusted his glasses.

“No, it’s okay. I understand you are only looking out for me.” I shook my head. “Compared to everyone there is little I can do, but I am still grateful that you are all willing to help me yet again.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close