Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 16

“We’ve studied the best we could on how Artificial manipulates the memories of all those that live here. Apparently, it specifically targets humans. Whether it be from brainwaves or something else, we don’t know yet. The other living creatures, the animals, are affected only mildly. It might be that compared to humans, manipulation of their memories aren’t as vital since they move more along the lines of instincts. No doubt, if Artificial was somehow made, it’s made with the mind of holding humans, or at least beings of high sentience.”

“But those that broke away, the reason was because of this;”

Senpai showed me images of what looks to be a snake like microbe.

“What ... what is this?”

“This is the virus that inhabits our bodies and what caused what happened to us.”

My jaw dropped as I looked through the images.

“B-b ... but how?”

“We call it a virus, but actually it is more of a parasite. It is a living creature; thus, it can evade Artificial, but it isn’t something that could actually be classified as living or sentient. When it enters the body of its host, it bonds itself to the bloodstream and restructures the inside of their body. Changing the organs and the internal structure of that person into ... err ... something different from a normal human being.”

“And by doing this, the infected person eventually drops off Artificial’s senses. They will no longer be manipulated by Artificial, their thoughts become contradictory and they finally break free.” He explained.

“You’re telling me this... , this thing is inside all of us?! Inside of me?!” I cried out in fear.

“ ... yes.” Senpai calmly replied.

This thing is inside my body. It mutated me and now...

“How do we get rid of it?”

“Huh?”

“I said, how do we get rid of it!?” I repeated as I got out of my seat.

Everyone was silent. They all looked away, trying to avoid my gaze.

“You can’t...” The President answered coldly.

“WHY!?” I demanded as I stared into his frightening eyes. I was sweating profusely, as I awaited an explanation.

“The virus ... it is impossible to get rid of is because it is what’s keeping us alive.” Senpai explained.

I was in shock. My mind was blank as I slowly stepped back.

“AH!”

“WATCH OUT!”

As I nearly fell over, Hideyoshi quickly caught me.

“Are you okay?” He asked with concern.

I did not respond. Trying to process everything they just told me. This thing is inside my body... , I’m ... I’m...

“Senpai, Prez, I think that’s enough! Throwing all of this at her, it’s just too much to handle all at once!”

“No... !” I protested as I pushed him away and got back up on my feet. “Tell me! Tell me more about this virus! Tell me more about what happens to those who become infected!”

“Hmm ... well, that’s really all we can say. The virus isn’t contagious and how it chooses its host is a mystery. Our original theory was that this was what helped us escape from Artificial’s grasp, until we found you.” Senpai said.

My stomach felt like it was in knots, as I await his further explanation.

“You broke away despite not being infected. It should’ve been impossible, yet you did. I tried to scan your body, but I did not find any notable differences. You are the same as us, yet at the same time you are not. Um ... I’m not sure how to say it...”

“You have my x-rays, don’t you? Show me.”

“Eh? You don’t really need ... I mean...”

“SHOW ME!” I demanded.

Senpai hesitantly brought out my x-rays. As I looked at them, even I could tell, something was strange. All my x-rays were similar yet different from theirs. It was even more of a mess.

“Don’t take it the wrong way! It might be a little different, but your body is functioning just the same-”

“Monster...” I mumbled. “We’re ... I’m a monster...”

“Whoa, hey now! Let’s take a little step back. Nobody is saying that, it’s just ... well...”

“Well what? Is it not true? If we’re not humans anymore, then what are we?” Anger was building up inside me. They were dancing around the topic, yet I already knew what was in their mind.

From my eyes and theirs, there was no doubt we can only be viewed as abominations.

“Maybe superhumans would be a better term.” The president suddenly interjected.

I turned my head to him. His eyes glared at me, but this time I did not feel scared. I could instead only feel anger, as if I had just heard something ridiculous.

“You’re kidding me.” I said with utter contempt.

“Because of the virus, our bodies have become much more durable. Light wounds, bruises, they are healed almost instantaneously. Even certain fatal blows that would otherwise kill a normal person could be survived by us. You might not really feel it yet, but strength, stamina, speed; all those have been increased drastically for you.” The president explained to me. “Although at a price.”

I clutched my fist.

“And that is?”

“Kenjirou, you didn’t have to bring that up. I was hoping to avoid it.”

“Tell her Mitsuhide.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close