Per Ardua Ad Astra - Cover

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Copyright© 2013 by normist

Chapter 27: Reaching home

The main question that occupied my mind on this last leg of our trip was what to do about the inhabitants of the Alpha Centaurus system. To what extent would either of our races be xenophobic? I must ask our crew for their discretion until this point can be resolved. Thinking about it, I could now understand the point of Star Trek's 'Prime Directive'.

I thought I knew what the range of reactions would be at home. To see if I could determine what the Centaurans reaction would be, I consulted Phyllis.

"Phyllis, have your studies of their language given you any idea what the Centaurans would think if we showed up on their doorsteps?"

"Not specifically, but I think that their encyclopedia showed that they had been visited on their home planet by some form of unidentified flying objects in the past. There didn't seem to be any antagonism in the entry. Are you thinking of visiting them in person?"

"I'm not sure, but it may be possible that we'll be pushed into doing so. I'm still of two minds as to whether we should intrude. Remember Star Trek's 'Prime Directive'. Do they even remember their origins on a different planet?"

"Oh yes! I haven't told you yet, but it is taught in their history lessons. They remember and abhor the thought of armed conflict. Did you know that the settlers were all chosen from both sides in their last world war?"

"No. How did they do that?"

"The selection of their opponents was made from their prisoners-of-war. They were all youngsters of both sexes. Most of the home group were similar, They also had a selection of families who had children. That's how the family whose home we visited were included. They became the leaders of the colony."

"Don't you think that their experiences are likely to make them xenophobic?"

"No. One of the points made in their history lessons is that soon after they landed, they were visited by aliens. People something like them. Help was offered, but it was turned down at the time. The Centaurans wanted to make it by their own efforts. However, the visit was not a one off. The aliens were invited to visit again and they pop in, roughly every eighty years. That's translated into our years. In their terms, it's about once a generation or just a little less frequently."

"You have been busy, Phyllis. What else have you discovered about these visitors?"

"Not a lot. They arrive in a small craft and stay about ten days. Now, can I sign you up for lessons in learning Centauran?"

"Yes, I think I should. After all, we may be coerced into making contact. Thank you."

Phyllis got up and left.

In the remaining days of the trip, more and more Centauran was to be heard all over the ship. It was almost getting out of hand. Aside from learning the language, I was helping to prepare a report of our whole trip. This normally would have been Susan's task. However, as I was aboard, we prepared it together. I was pleasantly surprised at the way she had blossomed from those early days of the Enterprise.

Eight days later, we set down on the runway at our Holloman Base. We were immediately directed to our hangar as they were also expecting the return of the Voyager. Once we settled in our hangar with drive shut down, we were ready to disembark. A group of carts stood by to deliver us to our destinations.

Together with some of the others, I opted for walking to the Mess. It was pleasant to be able to stretch my legs without having to use a treadmill. We had hardly settled down with our drinks when a breathless Ensign approached me.

"Admiral, Sir," he gasped for breath and started again. "Admiral, Sir. The Voyager should be landing in about five minutes if you want to come to the Control Tower."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close