Prodigal Son
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

When Colonel Anderson returned to the Hacienda, an officer’s call was sounded. The assembled officers met in the Regimental dining hall. This was the only space large enough to hold the officers’ corps.

As Joshua entered, Sergeant Major Young called out. “Gentlemen, the Colonel.” everyone in the room rose and faced towards the door.

Without a word, Joshua walked to the front of the room and took his position behind the podium. “At ease, Gentlemen.” there was a rustle from the waiting crowd as they took their seats, but nothing was said.

“Gentlemen, I know you are aware of the successful conclusion to the Protection racket that had started in Wilkins. The individuals had the mistaken belief that wearing clothing similar to ours would throw off suspicion from them and cause it to land on our shoulders.”

Joshua paused while the laughter died down. “I found this personally distasteful. And so, I took an interest in the situation.”

“We were fortunate to be advised of this attempt at extortion from a friend of ours. Mr. Alex Simpson had been approached, and a ridiculously small amount of money offered for his farm. When Alex refused to sell, the offer changed to protection from outlaws and other disasters.”

“Alex being the ornery old cuss that he is,” there were chuckles from the audience. “Decided to find out what the hell was going on from me. I set up a reception committee at the Simpson farm and we were successful in taking them into custody.”

“I would like to take this time to request that the medical team send a midwife out to the Simpson ranch. Mrs. Simpson is near her time, and they could use some reassurances and a helping hand. Any Troopers who would also like to help out, I’m sure Alex would be grateful. Be mindful, He’s a proud man and probably doesn’t look for charity.”

“For the past day and a half, we have been interrogating the prisoners. We have determined that they are part of a group that is operating in the western part of the state. In the Carson City to Reno stretch. It seems that their leader is a man calling himself the Washoe Kid. I am sure that he took the name because of Washoe county. We have no further information on him other than it seems he has recently been operating in northern Mexico and southern Arizona. Inquiries have gone out, and our watchers advised to learn what they can.”

“In the meantime, I propose that we send some teams to that area and see what new information we can gather. Our knowledge of the area, people, and terrain is spotty. We could classify this as a reconnaissance mission.”

“I propose that we send six teams to various areas in that region. If they can learn anything about this group or their leader, they will have the authority to act on their own as the situation warrants. But preferably as information gathering only.”

Looking around the room, he saw a variety of emotions. Some pensive, others enthusiastic, Still others thoughtful. “So, I leave it to you. This is not a command decision I am leaving it up to the officer corps to decide.”

Pausing for a moment, he again looked around the room. “Are there any questions?”

“Sir,” a Captain one of the troop commanders stood. “How large is the opposing force?”

“Not very large. Counting the bandits, we have already taken into custody, there should only be 8 or 9 of them. However, this may have changed. They may have recruited new members to replace those sent our way.”

The assembled group started talking to each other in low tones. This went on for about 10 minutes.

In a loud voice Colonel Anderson spoke up, “Gentlemen, I call for the vote.” the room quieted down. “All in favor, say aye.”

An obvious Majority replied. “Opposed?” only one or two nays were heard.

“Very well, the proposed mission to send reconnaissance missions to the west is approved. I will be advising the troop, and team leaders picked for this mission later in the day.”

As Colonel Anderson stepped from the podium Sergeant Major Young called out “Gentlemen.” again, all of the room rose and stood to attention until the Colonel had left the room.

Thirty minutes later, the Regimental command met to plan the mission.

“Well, gentlemen, “ Colonel Anderson started. “Our course is clear. How do we do it?”

“We will need at least three teams. One for each of the cities involved. But I would prefer we double that to cover the areas between. At least four additional teams. Or just to round things off, we could send full troop. That would give us the coverage as well as a strong reserve.”

“I agree with the three teams and a reserve. But sending a full troop is a lot of men in the area. We would probably be noticed, and that might chase the main target, the bandits, underground. Or maybe even out of the area. It isn’t very far to California. They could easily disappear into the hordes of miners.”

“We might want to consider civilian clothes also. For the same reason.”

“Very well, we’ll leave the troop count for now. Who do we send? which troop is fresh and trained up for an extended field mission.”

“Sir, we might want to consider different units. Say a team from each of the troops. The troop commanders could select their best and assign them.”

“No, I’d prefer that the teams be known to each other and know where each of their strengths and weaknesses are. Best to keep effective teammates together than try to adjust in the field. Besides, I bet the troop commanders would be pulling their hair out over who to send and who to keep.”

“Sir, could I suggest Lieutenant Hobson and the trackers? He has a full troop of well, shall we say, original thinkers. If we are going to give the selected teams autonomy, we may just want that original thinking among the whole group.”

“Good idea Major. Let’s get Hobson in here and pick his brains. He may have an outlook we haven’t addressed.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close