Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story - Cover

Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 14: We're going to Church

The Flynn's attendance at church had been sporadic at best during the last year. Normally they attended only once or twice a month. It was a long 30 miles to the church over rough mountain roads. They could have gone to a church in Prescott easier and quicker but, Seth's family had attended this church since Seth was a baby. The other people attending the church were mountain people like the Flynns. The Flynn's attendance dropped further when they received the letter telling them their adoption window was running out with the state. Seth and Martha started searching for alternatives to the state adoption program. The last time they had gone to church as a family was the first week of August. They still hadn't found a solution and their time with the state system was almost up. Their fervent prayer at that Sunday service had been shared by many of their friends. The prayer had been that they find a solution to bring a baby into their lives. They were notified that they were next in line for a baby the following week. Suddenly, the Flynns were caught up in the bureaucratic nightmare of a state adoption and they hadn't attended church since. They did feel bad about it but were concerned about attending.

Martha and Seth were worried about attending church with Sean primarily because they didn't know how to protect him. They worried about exposing Sean's abilities in some way and their secret getting out. They all realized how catastrophic that would be to all of them; especially Sean. Udit believed that going to church would be a good experience for Sean.

"But Udit," Martha exclaimed. "If something happens our secret will be out. Can we really risk that?"

"I don't necessarily think we would be taking a risk Martha," Udit replied slowly. He sipped his coffee. All the serious conversations were over coffee. "He will need to leave the ranch eventually. You can't protect him here forever because that wouldn't be good for him. Can you think of a better place to introduce him to a larger society than at church? You are among friends at church that you've known all your life. All your friends will see is a new baby boy and will be excited about it. Church services are a relatively short time duration so the only real interaction with other people will be before and after the service."

"But he's just a baby," Martha said with tears in her eyes. "He won't know how to protect himself."

"Martha," Udit said chidingly. "Do you really believe that Sean doesn't know what's going on around him? He knows that he has to be careful but I don't know if he understands what that really means. Would you prefer that he find out in downtown Prescott or even Phoenix? We can control things at church better than we can at any other public forum. I said WE too. All of us together can control the situation much better than one or two people."

"Maybe you're right Udit," Martha conceded. An hour later, the rest of the family was informed that the family would be going to church on Sunday.

Sunday morning's at the Gordian Ranch were normally chaotic when they all got ready for church. Martha's decision was initially met with grumbles about getting up earlier to finish chores and get cleaned up for church. Martha's raised eyebrows quickly squelched the complaints.

The Bradshaw Mountain Church in the back country of the Bradshaw Mountains was different than church in the city. There was still a preacher and a sermon that most of the people appreciated at least some of the time. For everyone, some sermons hit a little close to home for comfort but the church services were still important to the mountain dwellers so they attended. The church services were where everyone got to say hello to their neighbors in a neutral setting and learn the news in the area. If someone was in trouble the congregation knew about it and would find a way to help. If there was a birth, everyone was involved with ensuring the family had what they needed to welcome the new baby home. If there was a death in the family then everyone was involved with helping support that family in their time of sorrow.

Sunday school starting at eleven and the church service starting at twelve were indicative of one of the differences between the mountain church and city churches. City churches tended to get all their classes and services finished in the mornings so all the parishioners could make it to their Sunday afternoon baseball and football games. All the mountain people had stock to take care of and chores that needed to be finished before they could even start the long trek over mountain roads to go to church. Animals didn't care if it was Sunday and nothing would change the roads so the start time was later in the day to accommodate everyone's needs.

The whole congregation, about 50 people on a slow Sunday, knew about Seth and Martha adopting a baby boy. Martha and Seth didn't try to let everyone know about the adoption but they told their closest friends. Those friends told other friends which told others. 'The only thing faster than telegraph is mountain gossip', was a saying that went back for over a hundred years. So, most of the congregation knew about the new baby and how excited the Flynns were about the adoption.

The Flynns arrived early for the services and the Reverend Patrick Willis met their Bronco in the parking lot. The Reverend Willis had been the preacher at the Bradshaw Mountain Church for over 30 years. Seth could remember when the preacher's hair was red but now it was white and thin. Being over 60 years old and having thin white hair didn't slow the Reverend Willis down at all. He was a spry old man that could even keep up with Pappy when it came to hard work. The wrinkles on his smiling face only seemed to change when he grinned. His grin seemed to make every wrinkle on his face laugh with glee.

Reverend Willis was grinning when the back door of the Bronco was opened and Pappy stepped out. "My lord, the Papists have arrived," the Reverend exclaimed with a grin.

"Hi Preacher man. Have you drowned anyone lately?" Pappy asked with a laugh as he clapped the man on the shoulder.

Pappy was Catholic but he attended the little church because it was the only church available. Every two or three months a Catholic Priest would 'visit' the little church and provide the sacraments for the Catholics that attended. Pappy and the Reverend constantly bickered with one another over religion but it was always good natured.

"Saints preserve us. The wild Indians have come too," the Reverend said with one hand over his heart as BB followed Pappy out of the Bronco.

"You had better be nice Preacher," BB warned with a good natured grin. "I'll ask the Great Spirit to curse you and if that doesn't work my Grandfather will and he's a real Shaman."

"Really?" Reverend Willis asked in surprise. "He's really here?"

"Yep," BB said as Udit followed him out of the back seat. "Grandfather, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine. This is the Reverend Patrick Willis. He's the preacher for this church. Reverend Willis, I'd like you to meet Udit, Shaman of the White Mountain Apache."

"It's an honor to meet you sir," the Reverend Willis said. "BB has told me about you and it really is an honor to meet you."

"Well, whatever he told you was probably a lie. He's been around white men to long," Udit grumbled with a straight face as he clasped the out stretched hand. His twinkling eyes revealed the struggle he had to hold in his laughter at BB's outraged expression.

"Be nice Udit," Martha warned from the front seat as she completed gathering everything she would need to take into the church. She couldn't see the men's expressions and didn't recognize the good humor in their tone of voice.

Udit winked at the Preacher, without BB seeing the wink, before saying, "You know that it's true Mrs. Flynn. Think about all the lies he's told about me since I showed up. It's as if all my work with him while he was growing up has been undone."

The outraged sputtering from BB was more than Udit or the Preacher could handle. They looked at each other and burst out laughing. Udit wrapped one long arm around BB's shoulders and hugged him before saying, "Brandon, I love you dearly but you are so easy sometime."

He's, he's right BB," the Preacher gasped out. "I could even tell he was yanking your chain and I just met him."

"Boys don't grow up. They just get taller," Martha grumbled as she got out of the front seat.

"Yep and you women love us anyway," Seth said with a grin as he walked around the front of the Bronco carrying Sean on his cradle board. He kissed Martha on the cheek and gave her a one armed hug before turning to the Preacher.

"Reverend Willis, I'd like you to meet Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn," Seth said as he turned the cradle board towards the Preacher.

The Reverend Willis looked down to meet the direct gaze of the baby. Time seemed to stand still for the Preacher for just a moment as he met that intense gaze and he smiled tenderly. "It's nice to meet you Sean," the Preacher said as he carefully held one little hand and shook it. "Welcome to the Bradshaw Mountain Church. Your mother has told me about you so I wrote a special sermon just to welcome you to the congregation."

Sean frowned and his expression seemed to be complete confusion as he looked at Martha.

A hawk that had landed in one of the trees surrounding the church screeched its displeasure. A chorus of other birds started chirping, cawing and cooing in agreement.

"Ah, Reverend, ah, his mother died from injuries sustained in a car accident. I'm his mom or Martha. I'm not his mother. Somehow, he, ah, he knows the difference," Martha said with obvious pride in her voice and a little sadness.

Sean glanced at Martha and understanding seemed to flow across his tiny features at her words. His hands started moving in sign and Martha smiled gently.

"Thank you Sean," Martha said as her eyes grew bright with unshed tears.

The birds quieted with the exchange and Reverend Willis looked around at the sudden stillness before looking at Martha.

"What just happened?" the Reverend asked quizzically.

"We're teaching him sign," Martha explained. "He just said that he loves me as much as his mother."

"No. I mean the birds ... Sign?" the Preacher stammered.

Seth laughed at the Preacher's consternation and said, "He's a very special little boy."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close