Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story - Cover

Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 7: Matchmaking

Seth didn't want to leave Martha in Phoenix without transportation. The day after the bull incident Seth sent BB to Phoenix with their only fully enclosed vehicle. It was an old Ford Bronco 4X4 they used for small jobs around the ranch, and for shopping runs into Prescott. They could easily get along without it for a few weeks and Seth felt like he was leaving Martha stranded and dependent on others that were not quite family for transportation. A friend of BB's was planning on driving to Flagstaff that afternoon, and promised to give BB a ride back as far as Cordes Junction where Pappy would meet him for a ride the rest of the way home. Martha and Sheila were home with Sean the day BB brought the truck down. BB had to wait at the Cavalla's for several hours because his friend was running late.

Something is added to all women's DNA when she gets the two X chromosomes that some scientists jokingly refer to as the matchmaking gene. When that gene takes over, every woman is helpless to do anything but ensure a match is made.

Martha was carrying Sean when she answered the door. She hugged BB with one arm, introduced him to Sean, and invited him in. BB noticed the hamster and a cat checking him out as he entered and remembered what Seth had said about the animals. He intended to watch for the strange actions of the animals until his friend picked him up. Sean was ecstatic when he saw BB. He started laughing and babbling and waving both arms and legs.

Martha looked down in amazement at the show Sean was putting on and said, "I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing now but he sure is excited about it whatever it is."

BB chuckled and said, "Well, he's a cute little guy and he sure is happy. Maybe he's just happy to meet me."

BB said the last sentence as a joke but as soon as he said it Sean stopped everything. He looked at BB as if he was startled. Then he said, "psdfiasdes," with a very serious expression.

"I don't know what he said but he sure is serious about it," BB commented uncertainly.

Sean got a frustrated look, and gave a big sigh.

Martha nodded and seriously said, "Yeah, he gets frustrated with us a lot but we can't help it. We're just grownups, and we don't know how to speak baby."

BB looked at Martha startled. Seth had said some pretty strange things concerning the baby but Martha was always the more grounded of the husband-wife team. To hear Martha say something like that in all seriousness put a severe crimp in BB's belief system.

Martha noticed his expression and gave him a crooked grin. "Don't let it bother you BB. You'll understand what I mean pretty quick and you'll get used to it." She kissed Sean on the top of his head, and continued. "Why don't we go in the living room? Sheila's home today and we were just getting ready to have some sun tea."

Martha led the way to the living room with BB trailing by a few paces. BB was taking in the house and the way it was furnished. It was tasteful without being gaudy and it made a person feel welcome.

BB walked into the living room about five paces behind Martha. Sheila looked up and saw BB, did a double take, and breathlessly asked, "Who are you?"

BB's eyes were locked on Sheila's, and he replied, "I'm Brandon Walking Wolf Brother Begay," just as breathless. He shook himself as if shaking off water after a swim. He hadn't given his full name when asked since he was 16. He always gave his name as BB, or, when legal names were needed, Brandon Begay. "Ah, most people just call me BB."

Sean's arms were waving excitedly, and he said, "glsuaslsod."

Sheila looked at Sean in confusion, and asked, "What do you mean that's what you were talking about?"

BB looked at Sheila in confusion, and asked, "Could you understand him?"

Sheila looked back at BB, and her eyes glazed slightly before they cleared, and she said, "Uh, well, I think so, sometimes."

Martha was chuckling. She had seen the look between the two and her matchmaking genes flared to full force. "Attention, attention in the audience," Martha said. "Please take your seats, and all will be explained." She paused, as she looked at the seating arrangements, and ordered, "BB, sit there," indicating a place beside Sheila where she had been sitting. Not many people argued with Martha when she started tossing out orders so BB sat.

Martha sat across from them, and put Sean down on a blanket. "Now then. Let's get the formal introductions made, and then we can figure out what everyone is talking about. BB, this is Sheila Delgado. She's from Oklahoma, and her family comes from the White Cloud Reservation. She is a member in good standing with the Cherokee tribe. Sheila, this is BB, and whatever that long name was he said. He's a White Mountain Apache and a member in good standing with the Apache tribe. How's that for formal?" she concluded proudly.

Sheila and BB were listening to her introduction in growing astonishment. At the conclusion all they could do was nod and murmur that it was fine.

Martha turned to BB, and demanded, "Now, what was all that business about wolves and brothers? As many years as we have been together I have never heard you introduce yourself like that."

BB blushed but he answered. BB and Pappy had learned early in their acquaintance with the Flynn's that when Martha asked you something, you had better be giving an answer. It had better be a complete and truthful answer too. There had been another hand at the ranch that had tried to bullshit Martha. That's polite talk for lie to her. Martha escorted the hand off the ranch personally. Seth offered to do the deed but Martha informed him that, "Thank you very much but I can clean up after myself."

"Well, you know Brandon Begay is my legal name from my W-9 forms," Brandon said haltingly.

"Yes but, what was that wolf business," Martha demanded.

BB sighed. He could feel Sheila's eyes on him. "It's kind of personal, Martha," BB said lamely.

"Well, you're the one that said it so it shouldn't hurt to explain what you said," Martha said patiently. "Now out with it."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close