Preservation and Protection, Book 3 - Cover

Preservation and Protection, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 4

George came on through the repeater, "Jack, everyone is okay, here. The plane suffered some kind of electrical fault. They landed a bit hard and the plane is wrecked. We're loading their luggage and people into the trucks. Once we're loaded, we will attempt to contact those waiting in the woods. Vic says he isn't seeing anything threatening here. He will expand his circle to cover you and will work the repeater."

"Roger." I thought for a second. "Shirl, pull forward even with our point."

She gave me a look but pulled forward so we were next to our point truck. I said into the radio. "This is Jack. My group, pull up even with the point truck and mine. Spread out. Don't show any guns. Let's see what's going on?" They did and we waited. It was quiet. I could see people in the trees and could tell they were looking at us. I finally decided to make a move. I said, "This is Jack. I'm getting out slowly. Everyone else stay put and cover me." I began to open the door.

Shirl said, "I hope you know what you're doing, Jack."

"Me, too." I stepped out with no rifle and only a pistol holstered on my hip. I left the door cracked open and, staying out of the path of one of our trucks, stepped forward into the open. There was no response from the trees. I knew they could see me. I advanced about fifty feet in front of the truck hoping for a friendly or neutral response. I stood there waiting for what seemed to be an eternity.

Finally, a person walked out toward me from the trees. I heard a younger voice asked, "You won't shoot?" He stopped.

I replied, "Not unless you do first." I continued, "Let's talk." I began to slowly walk toward him. He came to me and we met half way, which was good.

He said, "Who are you?"

I replied, "My name is Jack Matthews and I'm from Preservation in Georgia. I'm here to help some friends from Protection east of here."

After a pause, he said, "I'm, Jerry. We are from the west. We've been following a plane but haven't seen it in weeks. We came upon this place as a fire started. We've been watching and studying to figure out how it started. There were no people or animals close but it sure did burn!"

"Why were you looking for the plane, Jerry?"

"We hoped to find people with skills and equipment from before the Day." He looked up, his eyes widening.

Shirl said, "Who is this, Jack?"

I responded, "He is Jerry from the west. He is as puzzled about the fire as we. He says it just started with no people or animals close by it."

"Well, Jerry. I'm Shirley, Jack's wife. We are here to help some of our people and became curious about the fire, too.

"Based upon what you say, this fire needs a closer look. Protection is not so far away that fires of unknown origin should be ignored." As usual in situations like this one, we were both wearing bulletproof vests though I didn't want to have to trust them. So far, Jerry hadn't made any threats though I wasn't sure he was telling the truth about his name, where he was from, or the fire. It's one thing to be shy but he looked and hesitated to the point of being evasive. When Shirl showed up, his eyes were on her and the look was not one that would make me happy. That kind of lusting look didn't go over well when a married woman was looked at that way and her husband was present. I was further prepared to dislike Jerry.

Shirl said, "Jack, wasn't one of the guys with us a fireman before the Day?"

"Yeah, I think Mitch was. Why don't you get him and you two examine the fire while I talk to Jerry."

"Great, I will." She left for our vehicle line and Mitch. Actually, Mitch was a fireman who had risen to assistant chief of Macon before the Day. He was older but vigorously healthy.

"Shirley," I called, "ask my Dad to join with you, too. He was on the volunteer department and even performed some arson investigations." She nodded and kept going. Jerry finally tore his eyes from her form and looked at me. I said to him, "Would any of your people like to join our investigation?"

"Uh, no, I don't guess so. We don't have any people with any kind of experience like that.

"You have gas?" He asked.

"Yes," I replied. I then added, "We also have electricity. That was our airplane you say you were following. We have others and are training more pilots."

Jerry's eyes followed Shirl back to our line where she returned with Mitch and my dad and they began to check out fire. I asked Jerry, Jerry, while they're looking, why don't you tell me more about your people and why you were following the path of the airplane?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close