Robert Macleod - the Early Years - Cover

Robert Macleod - the Early Years

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 10: Ring a Ring o'Roses

My Supervisory Agent, Edwin Crownfield, was delighted when I reported that our prisoner was not now lying under a geas, but had been given a post-mesmeric command. That meant that now the command had been neutralized by Professor Whiteshield, we could interrogate him with impunity.

In fact, the prisoner now proved most cooperative about giving us information on the spy ring. He gave us their identification signs and their passwords. After that, I did not have a lot to do with the investigation, Charles French kindly kept me up to date, however, so that I knew what was going on.

Our Investigators soon identified thirty seven of Clarkson's agents. What we did not know though was how many had been mesmerized and blackmailed into working for him, as had our prisoner. Supervisory Special Agent Crownfield arranged to invite all of them to a meeting hall, using a variety of reasons suited to each individual. I had been invited as an observer.

As each of them entered, they were greeted and led into an area where the Bureau's Chief Mesmerist spoke to them briefly, and then tapped them on the shoulder. That made them slump as though they were falling asleep on their feet. They were gently led to an interrogation room where one of the Assistant Mesmerists interviewed them.

At this stage, Goodman Crownfield must have thought I had seen enough. He sent me back to the White House. I later learned that these agents referred to themselves as the Red Rose Ring as one of their recognition symbols was a red rose in their right lapels. I don't suppose that they had thought that they would complete the nursery rhyme and 'all fall down'.

Life became much more mundane after that, except for the fact that I was promoted from a Probationary Agent to Special Agent. The next eighteen months or so were very tame compared with what had gone before. There were a number of petty thefts and other possessions which had simply gone missing, turning up some time later.

One I remembered well. An abacus operator had mislaid her bracelet and thought it might have been stolen. Her desk had long legs at one end and at the other end a cupboard sat on short stubby legs. As I approached her desk, I thought I saw a glint of something under the cupboard.

I said, "Would you please describe the missing bracelet."

She did so, and I continued, "Now I have to perform a spell. Please close your eyes and hold out your hands." As she did as I bade her, I quickly bent down and retrieved the missing bracelet. I mumbled something as I dropped it into her outstretched hands.

My reputation as a Sorcerer grew and I actually had to construct a retrieval spell that worked.

Then one day I was summoned to the Oval Office. It was usual to surrender my wand to the Secret Service Agent. I never did find out what difference it made. This time, I had left it in my desk with a spell that it should stay there. The Agent on guard duty was an obnoxious individual, who delighted in patting down people, especially the ladies, for hidden weapons. This time I was determined to teach him a lesson. I couldn't turn him into a toad. The Three-fold Law ruled out that solution. However, I thought I had a suitable answer.

I passed the Governor-General's Secretary and approached the Oval Office.

"Your wand please, Sir"

"I left it in my office," I replied and then muttered under my breath, "Return three-fold".

I was then instructed to raise my arms, so that he could search me. As he started to pat me down, he felt corresponding blows on his own body, only three times as hard. He seemed bewildered as he looked at my outstretched arms.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close