Robert Macleod - the Early Years - Cover

Robert Macleod - the Early Years

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 1: Boyhood in Ashland

This is the story of how my family came to New England via New Scotland; of how I grew up and discovered my Talent; of how I gained my education as an investigative sorcerer; and of how I worked for the Governor-General at the White House.

In the time of the Vikings, the Clan MacNicolls farmed the land surrounding Loch Broom in the Highlands of Scotland. Somehow or other they rescued some cattle that had been taken by the Vikings from the Thane of Sutherland. In gratitude, he granted the MacNicholls and their heirs, the lands of Assynt that lay to the north of Loch Broom.

Eventually, the MacNicolls' Chieftain had no son to inherit the title. However his daughter had married a MacLeod, a younger son of the Chief of the Clan MacLeod on the Isle of Lewis. This is how the Clan MacLeod of Assynt came into being. The family, later built Ardvrek Castle on the shore of Loch Assynt, the ruins of which still exist down to the present day.

A clansman, Norman MacLeod, was born in the coastal hamlet of Clachtoll, situated in northern Assynt, towards the end of the eighteenth century. He grew into a rebellious youth, seeing the life style of the local priests as wanton depravity.

The worsening economic situation exacerbated by overpopulation prompted the Duke of Sutherland to finance assisted passages to the New World. Specifically to New Scotland. Norman took Holy Orders and emigrated with his flock to New Scotland.

My ancestors went with him. They found life in New Scotland a little too cold and a little too bleak for them, so they made their way to Massachusetts, where they live to this day.

In one form or another they adopted the profession of law. Some became Sheriffs, Night Watch or later Police. Others became lawyers or judges. There was even a politician, or two.

When I was born, Pop was a detective in the Ashland police force. At the age of five, I was thrilled when he was promoted to sergeant. From the mufti worn as a detective (which didn't stand out from the fathers of my friends) to the splendor of a uniform, seemed a giant leap to a small boy. I was very proud of him and resolved on a similar career. His promotion to Assistant Chief in my last year at primary school did nothing to lessen that pride.

By the time I was ready to move on to high school, Pop was the Chief of Police in the town of Ashland. This fact, and another were to determine my future career.

One of the toys that I had as a boy was a boxed set of conjuring tricks: balls, cups, and various trick playing cards. The set included an instructional book that taught tricks using materials found around the house, such as string and paper. There was also a pair of trick handcuffs. Although these had a key, they could be removed by shaking them in a certain way. To suggest that this was achieved using magic, the conjuror was instructed to say a 'spell'. I used 'abracadabra' as a spell for all my conjuring.

As a treat for successfully graduating from middle school, Pop took me one day to the precinct station for a tour. At the end of the tour we ended up in his office. He produced a pair of handcuffs and put them on me.

"Now let's see you get out of this pair," he said with a grin. At that moment, the teleson attracted his attention. I was examining the cuffs trying to see in what way they differed from my own. Pop put the teleson down and left saying, "I'll be back in a minute."

Meanwhile, I had finished my examination, and, having no audience, just shook the cuffs the same way that I did with my own cuffs. It did not work.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close