Hadassah
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2012 by Robert McKay

It was a Monday when Hadassah went into labor. By then she and Joshua had found an apartment, and had moved in, but as the due date approached they'd moved back into her old room, so that there would be someone around when the moment came. The due date was February 23, which came on a Saturday that year, but unlike Hadassah, who'd come late, this child decided to come a few days early.

Monday was not a teaching day for me, so I was in my studio working on a series of Sunday School lessons from the book of Hebrews for a small denomination of Pentecostal churches. I was trying to decide just how to deal with Hebrews 3:18 and 19, for I'm not Pentecostal and don't subscribe to the "falling from grace" theory, when my intercom buzzed, the short buzz that indicated that someone on the other end wanted to talk.

I pushed the button and said, "Yes?"

"Daddy, I think the baby's coming."

I was standing as I pushed the button again. "I'm coming." I stayed just long enough to save my work and turn off the computer – not the approved way, but simply by hitting the power switch – and then I was out the studio door and walking rapidly toward the house.

Hadassah met me in the living room as I came through the sliding glass door. "I've had a couple of contractions so far, that's all, but they're strong and definite."

"Get your stuff, then, and we'll go. Have you called Joshua yet?" He was in school, bringing Hadassah her assignments and his class notes, and those of her friends, so that she could keep up with her work as well as possible.

"Yes. He'll meet us at the hospital. And my stuff is by the door."

"Where's Gill?"

"Out shopping. I've called her too."

"Then let's go." And we did.

One thing my school did for me was provide good insurance, and since Hadassah was still 17 it covered her. We took her to the Women's Hospital on Montgomery and Jefferson, and found Joshua waiting for us – and Dr. Chalmers as well, which was a great surprise to me. I didn't worry about it, though, for I was busy with paperwork getting Hadassah admitted. Her contractions were closer together now, and while I filled out forms a nurse helped her into a wheelchair and whisked her off to wherever she would go first, Joshua walking beside her and holding her hand.

I was just about done with the last form when I felt a hand on my shoulder, and looked up to see Gill. Her face was white and set, and I knew that she was afraid. I signed that form, and pushed it across the counter toward the woman who was handling things, and took Gill in my arms. "It'll be all right, Gillian," I said.

"I know – in my head, I know. But that's my baby in there."

"I know, Gill. Let's pray."

We found a quiet corner of the lobby, and prayed for a few minutes. When we stood up again Gill was calmer, though still anxious. Dr. Chalmers approached us, his cold manner working in his favor now, for his aloofness had given us privacy when we most needed it. "Mr. Garvin, Mrs. Garvin," he said, "I brought Mr. Benitez, since the school secretary believed him to be in no condition to drive. I have prayed with him, and will be glad to pray with you anytime you would like." It took me a second to realize Dr. Chalmers was referring to Joshua, for to me "Mr. Benitez" was the young man's father. But Dr. Chalmers always addressed or referred to his students that way, even the children in kindergarten.

"We appreciate that," I said. "Let Gill and me find out where to go, and then you can come with us and pray with us while we wait."

That's exactly what we did. When we got to the maternity waiting room we learned that Joshua was with Hadassah, and that her labor was proceeding normally. Having watched Gill in labor I knew that meant pain, and I suddenly wished for Hadassah's presence beside me. I remembered the place where God had told Eve she'd bear children in pain, and wanted Hadassah there to quote it for me. But she couldn't be there – she was the one living out the consequences of sin, not merely her sin, but the sin that permeates all of us, and she couldn't comfort me with her uncanny ability to quote the Bible.

Dr. Chalmers was true to his word. He prayed with us, and though his language was as formal in prayer as in conversation, I realized that somewhere behind the ice there was a fierce fire. I wondered, as Hadassah had wondered after her meeting with him to confess her pregnancy, whether someone had hurt him and driven him to erect barriers. But it was a wondering at the back of my mind, for in the forefront of my thinking was only my daughter and her labor.

Though Gill's pregnancy had been difficult, and she had truly almost suffered a miscarriage on two occasions, the labor itself had been swift, and Hadassah had been born in just a few hours. Hadassah's pregnancy had gone well – except for her mentioning it I never knew that she'd suffered from morning sickness, and she'd been active right up until the day labor began. I hoped, and prayed, that her labor would be equally easy on her, but I knew that every pregnancy is different, and that the same woman might labor for hours upon hours to bring forth one child, and have a fast and smooth delivery with another.

I truly didn't know how long it had been when Joshua came out. It was only when I glanced at a window that I saw it was dark. He was smiling as broadly as I'd ever seen him, and though he wore scrubs and still had a surgical cap on his head and a mask pulled down around his neck, it was clear that he was a proud father. "Mom, Dad – Dr. Chalmers – Charis María is here and healthy and beautiful!"

Gill and I hugged each other tightly. Hadassah had been right, she'd been carrying a girl, but that wasn't the point – what we rejoiced over was that mother and child were healthy and doing fine. When Gill and I released each other Dr. Chalmers was smiling – the first time I'd ever seen him smile. "I am happy to be the first to congratulate you, Mr. and Mrs. Garvin, on the healthy delivery of your grandchild."

"Thank you," I said, and Gill just smiled at him.

"Would you like to see Hadassah?" Joshua asked.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close