Masi'shen Evolution
Chapter 38: Succession and Accession

Copyright© 2012 by Graybyrd

"Are you aware that President Stinson, his Chief of Staff and several other key members of his administration, including two members of the Supreme Court, have gone missing?" Bob Zaglinder asked of Michael at a Saturday brunch in the Ambassador's quarters.

"I have heard something to that effect, yes, Bob," Michael answered.

"Do you know anything more? Anything about the circumstances of their disappearance?" Bob asked.

Michael studied the contents of his coffee cup for a moment, then glanced over to Jon'a-ren who was enjoying a plate of fruit slices.

"I have been informed by the chief of our embassy intelligence service that yes, the Americans seem to be in quite a state of confusion, even consternation, over something to that effect. He has prepared a briefing paper, if you'd care to review it, Bob," Jon'a-ren said.

"I asked Michael if he knows anything in particular about the disappearance," Bob stated, a bit impatiently.

"Bob, I think this is one of those rare times when the less you know, the better off you will be," Michael said, in a soft and flat voice.

Bob's eyebrows met each other at the top of his forehead. He studied Michael's facial expression for several long moments. Michael returned the look and never blinked; he returned a blank stare. It was clear that he considered the subject closed.

"Very well. I suppose this is one of those times when you'll tell me that you can neither confirm nor deny that allegation, whatever the hell that allegation might be.

"You should realize, however, that Stinson's disappearance has tied their government into a Gordian knot. Vice President Aaron Bronstein has assumed the temporary role of Acting President but Stinson's political faction is fighting tooth and claw to deny him the office. They are claiming that Stinson is temporarily absent and therefore Bronstein must be limited in his capacity as acting in Stinson's absence. In fact, the third man in line, Speaker of the House Donald Bond, is being proposed by Stinson's party as a watchdog to keep Bronstein in line with the Stinson policies. They are whipping up a storm of Congressional fury to oppose Bronstein.

"Bob, you are the expert in these affairs. How likely is it that the Stinson gang in Congress and their party could succeed in blocking the Vice President from succession?" Michael asked.

"Truthfully? Not very likely. And I don't think they will succeed, either. But they can do a lot to discredit and weaken Bronstein. Their true goal is to make it very difficult to change anything. Congress will remain corrupt, government policies will favor the powerful banking and corporate interests, and the nation's people will remain in virtual lockdown. It's extremely unlikely that martial law will be declared, but the party-dominated Congress can strengthen the oppressive anti-terrorism laws, making it difficult for Bronstein to reverse the course the US has taken during the Stinson administration. Of course, Bronstein could start dropping vetoes on Congressional bills, but every veto would be overridden until he looked like an impotent fool," Bob explained.

"So Vice President Bronstein, the invisible man, is now caught in the eye of the hurricane," Michael said.

"That's about it. I'd suggest that we find some way to strengthen his position to counter the attacks from the partisan opposition. If Stinson's party prevails, we'll suffer the same insanity we've faced over the last two years."

"Carrots and sticks, somebody said," Bob grinned.

"Come again?"

"Awww, c'mon people! You said it yourselves. I was there at the meeting, remember? We offer Bronstein and his small band of supporters a bountiful harvest of carrots. Then we threaten the Stinson partisans with a bunch of hurtful sticks. Never forget that above all else, they are politicians. Voter appeal and pots of money are their life blood. We tarnish their image and cut off their money. They'll come around. But first, we've got to give Acting President Aaron Bronstein a shipload of carrots to hold out to the people. Think about it for a minute. The answer will come to you," Bob grinned at Michael and Jon'a-ren.


"Mister President, thank you for accepting my call. It is most gracious of you. I am sure that your days must be very trying, given the circumstances facing your nation," the Swiss Ambassador in Washington, D.C. said.

"Mr. Ambassador, it is my pleasure to take a moment of relief away from these trying times as you allude to our present swamp full of alligators. How is your delightful wife, sir? We met only a month ago at the state ball, and my Rebecca was most charmed by your Eveline. Please pass Rebecca's most sincere regards to her?"

"Certainly, Mr. President, and thank you. It is always a pleasure to be remembered."

"Getting to the point, Mister Ambassador, you called? How may the United States be of service this day to your country? Please, be direct."

"I call as an intermediary, Mr. President. I am merely a go-between. But I feel moved to affirm that I am most sympathetic to the aims and purposes of those whose message I carry. May I speak directly?"

"Jacques, please do. And it is just you and I on this private line. My name is Aaron. I am not yet President. I'm merely sitting in the chair while I'm acting the position."

"You sell yourself short, Aaron. If I might suggest somewhat irreverently, you might consider burning that chair and having the office fumigated, lest whatever had tainted your predecessor proves contagious!"

Aaron Bronstein couldn't help himself. He roared with laughter so loudly that both doors into the Oval office burst open to reveal anxious Secret Service agents looking in.

"No, no! Gentlemen, it is alright. Please close the doors! I'm fine!"

"Jacques, please! I implore you, whenever you find an opportunity to make me laugh like that, never hesitate. I needed that. It is the best medicine. These past several days have been like a nightmare. You have just given me back five years of my shortened lifespan!"

"I am delighted, my friend. However, to be serious again. I hesitate to discuss my message on the telephone, no matter how secure it is claimed to be. Your NSA has taught us all that such trust is foolishly placed. If it is at all possible, could we meet privately as soon as possible? I think you'll find my message to be most helpful in your current situation."

"Are you free this evening, Jacques? Stinson's ... uh, my staff for the moment, has not yet succeeded in depriving me of my evening hours. Could you and your wife visit Rebecca and I in our private home in Arlington? I needn't labor the point that Mrs. Stinson is in a most unfortunate situation, and we've not wished to add to her grief or embarrassment. We're keeping quarters in our private home for the time being."

"Name the time. Jeanette and I will be there, Mr. President!"

"Let's say seven o'clock. That should give my security minders time to get me there. I'll tell my White House keepers to let me off the leash at six o'clock so I have a chance to arrive home on time. We'll see you then, Jacques."

"Thank you, Aaron. I do sincerely believe you will enjoy what news I have for you. Until then."


"Jacques, bear with me for a moment. Not only was I the invisible man, kept totally outside by Stinson and his associates, but I must admit I was pretty much the clueless man as well. Seriously, I had very little access to any classified or privileged information, despite my security clearances and my supposed role as backup relief in case something happened. I tried, but I and my people found ourselves locked out everywhere we turned.

"So to answer your question, I did have a vague idea of the happenings in Canada, but only the same press reports and rumors that the average citizen could get. The healing devices? The technology? That was pretty much suppressed as you know, and there was so much disinformation circulated about that it was difficult to know what was true or not.

"One of my staff people did manage to get a copy of the "infiltration confessions" involving the children before Stinson had them all classified and locked away. I could hardly believe it! And now, of course, we've been flooded with press and internet releases of evidence implicating Stinson and others in crimes that, if proven, could lead to impeachment and prison.

"That's all a moot point now, unless I find a way to follow up and root out all the lower-level players who conspired or assisted. That's not possible at the moment, until we restore some stability and reach a balance of forces between myself and the Stinson partisans in the Congress and the agencies. They blocked any vote to bring impeachment hearings; they can certainly stop me dead in my tracks if I rush blindly forward."

Aaron sighed, press his fingers tightly against his temples to relieve his stress headache just a little, and then reached out for his drink. Jacques Fortenier, Swiss Ambassador to the United States, grimaced slightly and raised his drink in salute. "To my good friend, whose burdens grow heavier by the moment. May good fortune come to smile on you, Mr. President, and may success crown your efforts. Relax for a moment, and let me briefly summarize the message. Then I will give you the full digital recording that you may keep and review during your private moments."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close