The Escape!
Chapter 44

Copyright© 2012 by Terriblethom

I was still chuckling as I explained why the different services used different names for what civilians called bathrooms. I kept getting that look from her and I chuckled at the looks of disbelief on her face as I named them off. When I finished, she just went back to her room, shaking her head in confusion. I couldn't help myself and laughed out loud as I headed for the freezer to get something out to fix for us to eat. "I do not think it is funny, Pops. Why don't they just call it what it is so it's not so confusing?" I heard several of the men outside chuckling at her outburst as I opened the freezer to see what I had to fix. BK and I had always kept it well stocked, just in case we wanted something different than our usual fare. From the looks inside, he hadn't touched anything. I dug in and found the huge roast I had bought just because it was on sale, and took it to the kitchen, putting it in the microwave to defrost. I refilled my coffee and started a new pot before I went to the table and sat down with the envelope to see what it contained.

When I finally cut it open, there were about twenty sheets of paper with troop survival counts as well as a complete list of all supplies available at the four surviving bases still operating and they were all large bases. Looking at the numbers of civilian men and women survivors, I was shocked at how many had been lost to this disease. Adding them up in my head, I doubted if the whole bunch were less than the population of a small state. There was a note that more survivors were out there, but they had no count on them, other than the towns and small bunches that the different forts were helping.

Reading more, I found a communiqué that Ft. Lewis was still in operation, but that they were not cooperating with the other forts and it had shut down to any outsiders. The Commander there had warned that they would open fire on any strangers trying to come in, even those from other forts. Jesus, I thought, this guy had to be a total wacko and I knew he would have to be dealt with down the road. Reading on, I saw that there was a plan in action to handle him and get the fort working again to help survivors.

I found another sheet giving the names of survivors who had come into Bragg with the National Guard Troops from different areas. I rapidly read the names and breathed a big sigh of relief when I saw my daughter and her daughter on the list. I sat back with a smile on my face, feeling like a thousand pounds had been lifted off my back. I heard the microwave ding so I put my pistol on top of the papers and went to the kitchen to start getting everything ready for super. I got the roast seasoned and put in the oven, then turned on the circulating fans and headed back to finish reading the paperwork. I found an order to all commanders of all operating forts that I was to be given use of whatever I required and that I was to be cooperated with. It also stated that my temporary rank would be Major and that I was not to be ordered to do anything that I didn't feel was within my purview. Damn, this was an open order for me to get about anything I wanted or needed from any fort! I saw it was stamped and signed a week ago by a General Rothman, Commanding General in Charge. Who the hell was General Rothman, I wondered? I picked up another stack of supply lists and a sealed letter fell out. It was addressed to Sarge on the front. I opened it somewhat hesitantly and read the contents.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close