The Escape! - Cover

The Escape!

Copyright© 2012 by Terriblethom

Chapter 37

I wearily climbed out of my unit and walked in the front door. I hadn't taken two steps inside when Sarah handed me a cup of coffee with a worried look on her little face.

"Are you ok, Pops?"

"I am fine, sweetie; I just need to sit down for a little bit as soon as I check on our wounded men."

"They are all in the little nurse's room over there. Shelly told me they all would be fine other than being sore for a few days. Pops, did you get rid of all the bad men?"

"Yes, honey, they won't bother us again. Now will you give me a hug and tell Brenda we will start the meeting in a half an hour?"

I got my hug that almost broke my neck and a whispered comment that I needed a shower 'cause I smelled like the range after they all shot at targets. I gave her a kiss and a little tickle which caused her to giggle and I felt my black mood lifting when I heard it. I got a big smile as she ran looking for Brenda and I headed for the nurses room. When I got inside, two men had bandages wrapped around their head and arm and both smiled at me when they saw me come in. The other man was lying on a bed while the medic wrapped his shoulder with gauze. I was immediately thanked by the man on the table but I didn't know why. The medic finished and I had my hand shaken by all three as they went out. I asked the medic how bad they were hit and what the prognosis was.

"Marshal, two were just lightly grazed and should be fine in a few days. They will be sore and tender for about a week, but I will keep an eye on them. The shoulder wound was serious but didn't hit any bones, and as far as I can tell he should be completely healed in about a month. I told him to take it easy and not to use his arm for anything for at least a week. From what I got second hand, you saved all their lives by your quick action. I will ask for some pain pills to replace what I gave out when I make my report to the Fort later. Were they raiders or just nomads looking for a town to take over?"

"They belong to that bunch that's over in the desert that I already had problems with. Kittrick is working on it but I think he has it under control. Now, if you need anything else, let me or the Fort know. Remember, we have doctors and a hospital in Willcox and there is a life flight chopper we can use if you need to call it in. I know you are good at what you do, but there is help close by so don't hesitate to use it if you need it."

"I was briefed and I enjoy being here; the people all treat me nice and accept me. I just wish I could have gone to medical school like I planned after I got out of the service, but I guess that won't happen now. Oh well, I am needed here and as long as the Fort will let me, I plan to stay here."

"Well, I for one am damned glad to have you. I know from previous experience that medics like you are almost as good as a doctor. Now if you will excuse me, I am going to get some coffee and see if they are ready to start the meeting."

I got a big smile from her and it wasn't until I got to the coffee to refill my cup that I realized I had forgotten to ask her for her name. When I looked around, it seemed like everyone was here so I stepped up on the small podium and flicked the mic with my finger. The noise made me wince and I was looking for some way to turn it down when one of the kids yelled try it now. I flicked it again and it was a lot better, so I set my cup down and started to speak. I gave a precise account of what happened and thanked the men who were wounded for their help and again reiterated how happy I was that none of us had been hurt seriously. I then stopped and asked if anyone had any questions. Of course the first one who stood was Daryl and I braced myself.

"Marshal, do you think we will have any more trouble out of them and if we do, will it be at night again?"

"Daryl, I think we pretty much wiped out their manpower tonight. If one escaped to report, I have a big feeling they learned to leave San Simon alone 'cause it costs too much for them to try to take us over. If none made it, I expect they will send one or two to look us over to find out where their raiding party went. Either way, I doubt very much if any of that bunch bothers us again in the future. Any more questions?"

I no sooner got that out when someone started clapping and then everyone was standing and clapping. I had to smile cause I knew they were all under a lot of strain and tension. I let it go on for a couple of minutes before I motioned for all of them to sit.

"I have a few more things to say, and then if it's ok with all of you I am hungry and need some food. From the smells, I am guessing the ladies in the kitchen have out done themselves again."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close