The Escape!
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2012 by Terriblethom

By the time breakfast was served, it seemed like I was starving. Sarah and I had just started eating when we were joined by the rest of the bunch. We were discussing anything else we could think of when Barry's radio went off saying they needed either him or me at B2. When Barry radioed back asking what was going on, all we got back was there was a rider on a horse at their location asking for someone in charge to talk to. Barry and I both headed for the door with me telling Sarah I would be back in a little while.

We were both trying to figure out who would be on a horse this far from any town as we pulled up to the barricade. I immediately saw the man leaning against a horse about a hundred feet from the cement barricade.

"Thom, you better let me talk to him. Hell, you didn't even bring a gun with you."

He was right and I chuckled to myself, feeling somewhat naked after finding out. I stepped up to the barricade and grabbed an AK leaning against the wall, checking to see if there was one up the spout as I stepped up, pointing it in the direction Barry was walking. I had a clear shot and knew that if he even flinched I would take him out. I watched intently as Barry stopped and they talked for about five minutes. Barry pointed at one of the men and waved him up to where they were. When he came trotting back, he came directly towards me. I made a motion for him to move to the side. He must have caught on to what I was trying to get across as he changed his approach to come at an angle to my right side.

"Barry said he was friendly, Marshal. He also said I was to go to the school and get one of the extra walkies and charger and bring it back here along with your side arm."

I must have gave him a dirty look 'cause he just smiled and jumped into the truck and took off. I was still keeping a close eye on Barry and the man he was talking to when the truck came back. I got handed my holster belt and he went back to Barry, walking at an angle so he didn't block my line of fire. He handed the walkie to Barry who then handed it all to the man by the horse. He put it in his saddlebag and they talked for a few more minutes before he mounted and headed off towards the desert. I was wondering what was out that way when Barry came back with a big smile on his face and motioned me toward his unit. I put the AK back where I found it and slung my belt over my shoulder and followed him.

"Ok, why the big grin and why did you send a radio with him?"

"Wait 'till we get back and settle in with some coffee. I know Zeke is gonna wanna hear this so I will tell it to all of you at once. Besides, it's nothing but good news for us."

I happened to glance at my watch and it was 0611. Damn, I thought, it's gonna be a long day. If I had known what was waiting for me inside, I would probably have kept right on going. I no sooner got inside and sat down with a fresh cup of coffee when Shelly descended on me like a cloud, and a rainy one at that. By the time she finished, Sarah was holding her hands over her mouth to keep the giggles in and Zeke and the rest were rolling on the floor in laughter. Hell, I never knew my parents and all my offspring were descended from jackasses. I wondered how she found out all of this in such a short time. Ok, I had to admit I was stupid for going out without a weapon and yes, I wouldn't ever do it again and yes, I would wait on her to inspect me before I ever did it again. She finally ran down and stomped back to the kitchen to Sarah's giggles and everyone else's laughter. I took a sip of my coffee and politely said to everyone; "Do you think she was just a little pissed for some reason?"

"Aw fer shit's sake; will you shut up until I can get my breath back?" This from BK who I thought was my friend and would always have my back in a pinch. What the hell was this world coming to, I thought. Well, two can play at this game and I headed outside to have a smoke. Of course it wasn't ten minutes later before I was joined by all the laughing hyenas from inside. Zeke lit up and we settled in with all of them grinning at me.

"Now that girl was born to be a DI in the Marines. Man, I haven't heard an ass chewin' like that since Seal School. I'm sure glad she wasn't upset with me! I don't think I would have survived. Of course you old fellas have thick skin and don't hear well any more, from what I been told by my old grandpa."

Well that broke them all up again, but like always I had the last laugh, or so I thought. "Yeah, well you can be replaced, Chief."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close