The Escape! - Cover

The Escape!

Copyright© 2012 by Terriblethom

Chapter 10

When I pulled up to the school, I saw immediately that I was going to have to walk a little ways. There were cars and trucks parked as far as I could see up and down both sides of the road. Since I didn't want to get hemmed in, I pulled into a small field across from the school and turned my car facing outwards. When I got out, I immediately noticed a small Border Patrol Helicopter parked in the open field behind the school and wondered who had come in. Zeke hadn't mentioned any guests being here tonight so my curiosity was aroused as I slipped in the side door to the gym. I moved to the side with my back against the wall, just as the Sheriff finished whatever he was saying to the crowd. Not a person clapped, but I did hear a few quiet "bullshits" from the audience as he finished. The next person to come forward to speak was dressed in a Border Patrol uniform and sitting next to where he had been sitting was an Army Colonel in a dress uniform too. I was surprised the Sheriff hadn't introduced him but as he started speaking, the reason became clear to me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, and I say that respectfully, my name is Superintendent Dan McGuire. I am the local Border Patrol supervisor in charge of this area. Now I listened to what the Sheriff had to say and although I respect him, he is wrong in several of the points and ideas he passed on to all of you. First, let me say that since the President declared Martial Law, his authority no longer exists except as a minor helper to the Federal Government. Since the Army is active throughout this part of the state, they are in total control of all law enforcement personnel and oversee the safety of the citizens of this area along with my agents. Since there are no active federal agencies here in San Simon, we have decided to activate a retired Deputy U.S. Marshal who lives here. He will be in charge of the town and its defenses and will receive all the cooperation the Border Patrol and the US Army can give him to help protect all of you. He can and will ask for your help to insure your safety and the safety of your families. Now, before I step aside, I would like to introduce all of you to Colonel Kittrick of Ft. Huachuca, who is here to bring all of you up to date as to what is happening."

As he finished speaking, I got a sinking feeling and started looking around for Zeke or Barry. I couldn't see either one so I gave it up as the Colonel stepped up to the mic. I watched as he stood silent for a few minutes, waiting for the murmuring of the crowd to die down.

"Since you already know my name, I don't have to keep repeating it to you. Now I am not going to mince words and I am not going to lie to you about what's going on. I know there are several Ham Radio operators here 'cause I have been in touch with a couple of them in the last few days. People, this is not an isolated incident as we were led to believe at first. People in almost every country in the world are dying by the millions. The more populous the country, the more people are getting this virus. Our eastern and western seaboard has been hit badly and millions are dead. I am sure all of you have one time or another watched a zombie movie, you can imagine those staggering corpses wandering all over the big cities, attacking anyone who is not one of them."

He waited for the laughter to die down before continuing what he was saying.

"This is a little more serious than that is. The ones getting the virus die and go into violent convulsions then re-animate. Yes, they are dead, but they don't pass the virus on if they bite you. They turn into violent cannibals and eat humans who are still alive and healthy. As a matter of record, they hunt them like packs of dogs and eat any they catch. Now from all observations, they die within hours of contracting the virus and re-animate within twenty four hours. We have learned from our units back east that the only way to kill them is by shooting them in the head. Anywhere else doesn't even slow them down. So far, we in this part of the world, have been very lucky and I plan to keep it that way. We have planted minefields all along the border with more being put in every hour. The Border Patrol is manning all crossings with our help, keeping anyone from crossing over. We have sniper positions on every piece of high ground all around you in constant radio contact with the base. Your job is to keep strangers out until we can get troops to you and any other city under attack, and rest assured, we will come to back you up. Now I know this is a lot to take in at once, so instead of me standing up here spouting facts and ideas, why don't we take a break and have some of that home cooking I been smelling for the last hour. After we eat, I will take questions and address any other problems you might have."

Before I realized it, the lights had come back up and I felt like they were all shining on me for some reason. The people who were previously sitting in the audience were now setting up tables, and I noticed a lot of them going outside so I slipped back out the door. I figured to try and find Zeke or Barry and find out what was happening 'cause I could see by the look on the Sheriff's face he was not happy with what had been said. I sure didn't need to have a run in with him right now. I headed to my car and dug out my pipe, filling it and sitting on the hood puffing, watching for someone I knew to come out. I had almost finished smoking when I saw BK coming out so I whistled and he saw me immediately. I noticed he was using his walking cane and knew his feet were bothering him again. When he came up to me, he leaned against the front of the car with me before he spoke.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close