Preservation and Protection
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

One of the men shouted back, "We are Cindy and Jim Bagwell with Margie Allen and Robert Thomas. We had lived in Knoxville until today. Do you know anything about the fire?"

Jane said, "No. We're from Virginia and heading west. Let's talk." She held her hands out showing that she wasn't carrying a weapon other than a holstered pistol.

The one named Jim shrugged and said, "That works for me." He and Cindy started forward and were quickly followed by Margie and Robert.

I got out and went with Jane. She said, "We're Jane and George Andrews from Virginia. The rest of our party is coming up behind us in a moment in two more trucks. Would you tell me your histories and what you know of the fire?"

Robert said, "We think the fire was set. There had been no storms and we haven't heard any explosions. It started yesterday morning in toward the middle of town and has spread pretty easily. The only possibility I can think of is electrical. When something failed, a short was created somewhere and the fire came from that.

"We know there are other small groups like us who were living close in. We've seen signs of them and even talked to one group of six. Everybody has been careful but no clashes that we've seen.

"My story is simple. I was married and lost my wife to the virus. Margie and Fred lived on the same street and Fred died of the virus, too. We ran into each other and have been hanging around ever since." Margie nodded.

Cindy said, "Jim and I had dated and were getting serious. When the virus started to spread, he called me and asked me to marry him. He warned me that it might be a short marriage but that we made a good couple. If the virus didn't get us, maybe we could last." She grinned. "So far, so good." Jim blushed a bit but grinned, too.

We told the quick version of our story. By then, the rest of our group had caught up with us and joined us standing out on the Interstate. Finally, Amos said, "Why don't you folks join us? Knoxville won't be much after the fire. Jane has a farm west of here a ways and we figure to set up housekeeping there. More people would make things easier on everyone of us."

Jim said, "We need to talk about it but it sounds good and we have no ties to Knoxville now. Also, it will be tough to scavenge after the fire. Let's get off the road and talk some more."

We all got back in vehicles and headed out of town on I-40 to the next exit and pulled off as a group. We found a fast food restaurant with power and pulled into the parking lot to sit and talk. It was the middle of the afternoon when we pulled in. We talked for a couple of hours and told our stories in more detail. We also discussed what we might find in western Tennessee.

Jim and Cindy and Margie and Robert all wanted to join our merry band and head west. They had some clothes packed in the car. The fire was chasing them when they met us. They were going to Nashville to start over. The four knew of a mall two more exits down where they could restock their clothing. Jim commented that there was a car dealer and they could get a couple of SUV's or pickups for the trip.

I asked, "Are there any hotels at that exit?"

Robert said, "Yes, there are. You're thinking we should stop for the night and start out tomorrow morning after scavenging what we need?"

"That's my thought. If there's a good restaurant, Jane is a fantastic cook and we will eat well, too."

Mark said, "Okay, let's go!" He and Bethany headed out the door for their truck. We all followed them and loaded up. I told Jim to lead and we would all follow to the hotel first. He nodded and we all left.

It was a quick trip up to the second exit and Jim picked a nice hotel for our night. It had an attached restaurant. We went inside with Jane going to the restaurant with Bethany and Doris. Missy followed them. I went to the counter and picked rooms from their map for us all on the main floor around back. Robert noticed and asked why.

I said, "As we told you, we left Virginia because of some bad folk. I try not to advertise our presence at night." He nodded thoughtfully. We left Jim talking to Mark while Robert, Amos, and I checked out our rooms. All were clean. Jane came back reporting that the restaurant was in good shape and she had steaks defrosting for all of us. Jim and Robert wanted to get vehicles while the girls wanted to get clothes. I suggested that they get vehicles first to give them room to store their new purchases. I also told them not to forget bathing suits. "We'll be in the pool when you get back. See you later."

The pool was in okay shape. In another couple of weeks, it would desperately need maintenance for algae and a good cleaning. Jane wore a skimpy bikini but not her thong. She explained to me that we didn't know the four new people that well yet. She sent Bethany back for a more modest suit, also. Missy wore a one-piece that just barely made muster. She explained that it was last year's suit because she hadn't bought one for this season. We were all swimming when the four returned.

Cindy and Margie wore thongs and no tops! They also had even tans so this was not a new thing for them! Jane whispered to me that she now felt overdressed. Jim came over to us and said, "The one thing we hadn't told you is that we are nudists. We all knew each other before the Day from that lifestyle. Other than that, our stories were completely true. Cindy absolutely refused to wear more than she is and Margie supported her. We decided that we would have to come clean." He chuckled. "And I guess we did!"

I said, "Well, if that's the secret, it's not a problem for me. Your ladies will catch Mark's undivided attention for a while. You and Robert may well get Missy's and Bethany's eyes if you two strip down."

"We thought about them and decided we could wear suits today."

"Thanks. I don't know how innocent they are at consensual sex but I'm not sure we need to start sex ed quite yet."

"George, you're a MD, aren't you?"

"Yes, but I only practiced for a little while before going back to school and then working in research."

"That makes your group an even better group for us to join. I agree about the young ladies. There is no need to rush things for anyone though it looks like Bethany has her eyes on Mark already."

I chuckled, "Yes, that's true. Jane and I have been lucky to find each other. Times like this can throw people who would otherwise never meet together, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. Jane and I care for Bethany a lot and don't want her hurt or for her to hurt herself."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close