Little Girls of Wonder - Little Dreamer Dolly
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

"I got an A! I got an A!" says Dolly all happy.

She is showing her uncle the test. Leo smiles at her and grabs her and hugs her really tight. "I knew my niece could do it! I had no doubt. You just wait until your mom sees this. She is going to be so proud."

Dolly is beaming. "You think so?"

"Of course!"

"So what are we going to do this weekend?"

"We are going to exercise, write stories, have fun, and exercise some more."

"Okay!" says Dolly, looking forward to step two of their plan.

Come five o'clock, Katie gets off of work, and as soon as she walks in the front door Dolly runs up to her smiling from ear to ear with her test in her hand. "Look, mommy!"

"Oh, my goodness! I am so proud of you, my beautiful smart daughter. You haven't got an A all year."

"I know. It's all because of Uncle Leo."

"No way, young lady. It is all because you put in the extra effort that people who have your issue have to do. This was all you, babygirl." Both Dolly and Katie are smiling as they begin to see that ADHD is merely a nuisance, not a roadblock.

They go out to another nice dinner, and all throughout it Katie and Leo are praising Dolly for doing such a wonderful job. By the end of the dinner Dolly has such a precious look on her face, that even though she is a uniquely pretty girl to begin with, now she has a divine grace shining on her pretty, pretty face.

Back at home a feeling of warmth and love perforates the atmosphere. Katie hugs her big brother for showing her that there is hope. "I can't tell you how long it has been since Dolly has smiled like this. Thank you."

"You are most welcome, baby sister," says Leo, just glad he could help.

As they are getting ready to watch a family movie together, Dolly goes and changes into her cute pink nightgown with kittens on it. To show her love and appreciation for his help and encouragement, Dolly climbs into Leo's lap and cuddles with him as they watch the funny movie.

Leo is taking a bathroom break, and when he comes out he sees Dolly drinking a soda. "Whoa, wait a minute!"

"What?" asks Dolly.

"What?" asks Katie at the same time.

"What are you drinking?"

"Pepsi."

"No, no, no! You never drink anything with caffeine in it after lunch. Dolly, you said you have a hard time falling asleep at night. Drinking caffeine before bed is part of that problem. How many sodas do you drink after you get home from school?"

"Two, sometimes three."

"Three!" says Katie, not realizing her daughter drank that much in the evening.

"That stops now! Do you like root beer?"

"Yes, very much."

"Then start buying root beer, because root beer is caffeine free."

"I don't always drink soda, sometimes I drink tea."

"Baby, that is just as bad or worse. Some teas have more caffeine than coffee."

"Really?"

"Absolutely! Look, I love tea also, but I make sure I buy decaffeinated, and it tastes pretty much the same."

"Okay! From now on we will buy root beer, decaffeinated tea and healthy drinks," states Katie, beginning to see the many depths involved in such issues as ADHD.

Leo is beginning to see also. "I'm proud of you both. You are showing me that you see there is an issue, which is always the first step, and now you are willing to put in the work to make things better." Leo hugs his sister and kisses Dolly.

They get back to watching the movie. At last it is bedtime. Katie and Dolly turn in first. Unbeknownst to both Leo and Katie, Dolly already drank two sodas. Not fifteen minutes go by as Leo is watching the sports channel that he hears Katie say to Dolly. "Sweetheart, can't you stop moving around?"

"I'm sorry, mommy, but I had already drunk two Pepsis."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close