Little Girls of Wonder - Little Dreamer Dolly
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Dolly is a uniquely pretty sweet-hearted nine-year-old girl who sometimes finds it hard to focus and concentrate. She is extremely fit, with very long beautiful blonde hair and endlessly intelligent blue eyes.

When Dolly should be paying attention is class she is often daydreaming about worlds that are unique to her little girl heart and mind. She is a good girl and she is very smart, but sometimes when she should be quiet she just keeps on talking.

Sometimes it even annoys her when she is working on one thing, and then the next minute she finds herself completely somewhere else. When others around her would only wish for calm, she just keeps going on and on and on. There is nothing wrong with Dolly; she was just born with a lot of energy. All she has to do is learn to channel it to something useful. This is that story.

"I don't know what to do with her! She keeps getting in trouble for being disruptive in class and, my god, she just never stops."

"You don't do anything with her, sister. There's nothing wrong with her. If people around her can't keep up with her, is that a reflection on her or the people around her?

"You damn well know, Katie, that I was hyper destructive when I was young. Look at me now! I am a successful writer. I get to bring to life all the daydreams I imagined as a kid. Dolly is a dreamer just like me. Katie, you should be proud of her, because besides being very, very pretty the girl is very smart and creative."

"Of course I'm proud of my daughter. I love her with all my heart. Just sometimes her energy runs a little long. Now I'm getting pressured from outside because she is being disruptive in class."

"You know what I would do? I would go to class a couple of times to see for yourself. Is she being disrespectful to others, or is she just fading out and forgetting that others are trying to work around her? I can't believe, with as beautiful and kind of a heart that she has, that she is doing anything maliciously. Eventually she'll catch up to herself and be in balance. Not only will she naturally calm down, but she'll learn to deal with it on her own."

"The school suggested that I take her to the doctors."

"And?"

"They say she has ADHD, which stands for Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder. They want her to take medication to calm her down."

"You want to drug my niece. No way! Before you do that try channeling that energy into something positive, and on top of that get out there with her and help her burn some of that excess energy off. Listen up, baby sister, when we were kids we ran around at full speed all the time. When's the last time you took an hour with her and exercised and played like we did as kids?"

"I have work, and now I'm getting pressured. I just don't know what to do."

"I'll tell you what. I have several weeks of vacation built up from the magazine and I can write my novels anywhere. I'm coming out there. I'll be there in two days."

"Really, big brother? Oh, that would be great!"

"Good! Is Dolly home?"

"She's in her room doing homework. Dolly." calls her mom. "Dolly. DOLLY. Ah, she's not answering. Let me go get her." Katie goes to Dolly's room and opens up the door. Instead of doing her homework, Dolly is lying on her bed staring at the ceiling with a smile on her lips and a dreamy look in her eyes. "Dolly!"

Dolly is startled by the sudden intrusion. "Yeah, mom."

"Aren't you supposed to be doing homework?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, mom, I forgot. I'll do it now. I promise."

"That can wait. You have a phone call."

"Who is it?"

"Your uncle."

"Uncle Leo is on the phone?" asks Dolly, smiling as she jumps up and goes into the living room. "Hi, Uncle Leo."

"There's my babygirl niece. How are you today?"

"I'm good. Guess what?"

"What, baby."

"I had this daydream where I was leapfrogging from cloud to cloud."

"That's wonderful, sweetheart. You can tell me all about it when I get there."

"You're coming to visit?"

"Yep."

"Cool! When?"

"Let's see, today is Tuesday, so I will be there Thursday. I'm going to bring you a tablet because I want you to start writing down all your daydreams and stories you think up. Who knows, maybe you'll be a writer like me."

"You think so?"

"I don't see why not. You are definitely smart enough, and you are as creative as me. Hey?"

"Hmm."

"I hear you have been getting into trouble in class?"

Dolly looks at her mom sadly. "Yeah. I don't mean to, but I just forget what I'm doing."

"I know, baby. I had the same problem as a kid."

"You did?"

"Oh yeah, most definitely."

"Uncle Leo, they want me to take medicine."

"I know! That is why I am coming. Your mom said she would hold off on it until we see if I can help you to focus your energy more efficiently. Plus not only that, but we're going to work out together to burn some of it off."

"Uncle Leo, I like making up my worlds, but sometimes even for me it gets hard. Sometimes it can take me an hour to fall asleep."

"Heck, young lady, I still have that problem."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, and it gets worse when I'm in the middle of writing a new novel, or if I have a lot on my mind. I'm hoping to show you and them that there is nothing wrong with you. All you have to do is learn to embrace who you are by channeling all your aspects into a balance of serenity."

"Thank you, Uncle Leo, for believing in me. I love you very much."

"Your mom believes in you, sweetheart. It's just hard to deal with something on a daily basis when you get no reprieve. I'm going to be there two whole weeks."

"I can't wait to see you. Where are you going to stay?"

"With you girls, of course."

"Where are you going to sleep?"

"On the couch, I suppose."

"You can sleep in my bed and I'll sleep with mommy." That is why Leo knows there is nothing wrong with Dolly, because she has such a sweet heart. When Dolly said she'd sleep with her mom, her mom sighed quietly because she knows Dolly twists and turns at night. "Here's mommy."

"Thank you, sweetheart, and I can't wait to see you again."

"Me, too, Uncle Leo. I love you." Then she hands the phone to her mom.

"So you'll be here Thursday?" restates Katie.

"Yeah!"

"Think you can still find your way?"

"Sure, I can't believe Jackson has changed that much."

"No, not at all. Come to my work and I'll give you my key."

"I'll try to make it around lunchtime if you think you can get away."

"I can always make time for my big brother and Dolly's favorite uncle."

"If I remember correctly I am her only uncle."

"Yeah, well, what the heck. See you Thursday for lunch. I'm really glad you are coming. I have really been worried about what to do."

"We'll work it out if we can, I promise you. I love you, baby sister, and give my favorite niece a hug and kiss for me."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close