An Empire's War
Chapter 31

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Mamercus knew the risks involved, but still went back to New Aksum; he was the best person for the job. He already had some trust with the Underground Resistance and he did know the city.

The trip back to the city took less time than his trip out of the city. Mamercus walked into a different safe house, one further away from the city. In the main room, sat five elderly people. He recognized Berko, sitting in the center. The others he assumed were the rest of the Elder Council. Berko nodded to an open chair and Mamercus sat down. Subira walked in from the kitchen carrying a tray with tea and snacks. Mamercus smiled and nodded to Subira in recognition.

"Roman, it is good to see you again. This is the rest of the Elder Council. For right now my name is to only one you will know, just in case our endeavors don't go as planned," said Elder Berko.

"I understand. Security must continue until Tichaona is gone. My purpose here is to help you overthrow Tichaona and let my people know. In two days Roman forces and Allies will launch an all-out attack straight towards New Aksum. This is to draw Caliphate Forces North leaving only a smaller force here in the city and surrounding area.

"Ten days later, when it is confirmed, you can launch your attack. Between now and then I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, find any tunnels that Tichaona could escape from."

"We have already done so, but we shall keep looking. Subira shall take you to another safe house where you may rest for the next two weeks. If you need something or need to meet with us for some reason, let her know."

"Thank you, I shall."

Mamercus walked with Subira to a waiting car, where she took him to yet another safe house. There he waited and planned for eventualities.


Ninian sighed. He had fought in nothing but desert since the war began. At least the IV Imperial staged at a good source of water. The man-made Galla Lacum, stood to the left of the IV Imperial. Made by damming up the Nile where Upper and Lower Nile meet, it supplied water not only to the IV Imperial, but also to all of the farms in Lower Nubia. Not too far away stood the monuments to Ramessess II and his wife Neferari, in their new sites so they would not be underwater when the Lacum formed.

Since coming back to the IV Imperial Ninian has seen a marked improvement in the attitudes of his soldiers and in his fellow officers towards him. They were surprised when they learned that Ninian became engaged to the Principis Iuventutis. Surprise changed to respect and loyalty when he came back for the offensive.

Ninian thought over the attack plan. All Fronts, except this one were reinforced to prevent breakouts. On this front, the bulk of the active forces gathered in three waves. Auxilia Legionems were being called up for Reserves. They would drive straight towards New Aksum to lure away as many Caliphate Forces away from the city. Ninian prayed to the Gods for all of the lives that were about to be lost.


Mamercus walked down the tunnel ignoring the decaying smells and river of human waste. The Resistance told him the Palace stood atop the old catacombs. Normally there is no way to get to them without going through the Palace, until now when the Resistance tunneled through to them. This would be the entranceway for the real attack.

Rome's plan went without a hitch. They attacked in such overwhelming odds that Caliphate Forces were taken from around New Aksum, leaving only a small garrison at the Palace. The bulk of the Resistance would attack the main gate, distracting the guards, allowing the smaller real attack to find Tichaona and arrest him.

A siren could be heard from the surface.

"That would be the attack at the gate," said Subira, "We go in a few moments."

Mamercus nodded. While the rest of the attackers carried older versions of the Spatha rifle, Mamercus carried a Gladius Pistol and his Pugio, and only for self-defense. He would be taking up the rear, keeping an eye out for ambushers as Subira and the others make their way through the catacombs and into the Palace itself.

The Palace, while not huge like its Roman counterparts, is still complex with a labyrinth of small rooms and dead ends. The attackers think that Tichaona would be in the center of the Palace directing his forces against the attack at the gate. So, they head towards the communication center, only taking cursory looks in rooms, so they aren't attacked from behind.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close