An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 27

Ninian spent the remaining weeks of his leave learning from Domitus during the day, and spending time with Aemilia during the evening. Just by watching Domitus, Ninian learned what a ruler really did. Meetings about the war took up the majority of their time, but other meetings slipped in. Some were about the economy, about the budget, the state of the healthcare system, and some laws that Domitus was thinking about. Some days he barely had time to eat lunch.

Though the days were interesting, the nights became Ninian's favorite time. The two lovers spent most of their time in the Gardens or in one of the many studies, just talking and making out, as the mood took them. Some nights they left the Palace to go out to dinner, or to go out dancing.

The week before Ninian got his notice his leave had been canceled and a week after Ninian proposed to Aemilia, Domitus learned all of their allies had been informed about the attacks. He gave and got commitments that help would be available if possible.

Domitus took this information and had orders sent to the Legionems abroad to help their allies as needed. The Naval Legionems would have all Classis Pugnae, Opus Coeutm, and all Hydras deployed the day before the attack, to catch the enemy fleets in the oceans. The closest Classis Pugnae in the North Atlantic Legionem will defend the Eastern edge of the Great Tribe, while the one in the Southern Atlantic Legionem will attack the Nahuatl Empire's Eastern edge.

While planning happened, the Imperial News Network, INN, held nightly reports that civil unrest had begun to spread in some Provinces. These reports were false and the pictured rioters were actually disguised Legionaries acting the part for the cameras. The reporter was very convincing and reported that Police in the areas were asking for Imperial intervention, Army Legionems to help quell the unrest.

Then the notice came. Ninian was expecting it, but still it brought home the fact his time with Aemilia had been cut short. The plans had been made, and Ninian spent the rest of the day with Aemilia. He would be leaving in the morning for Jerusalem and his unit.


At the airport, Ninian and Aemilia held each other, tears in their eyes. It would be good-bye for a while. Domitus stood near, letting the lovers have their moment. Ninian let go of Aemilia and turned to Domitus, hugging him too. Ninian them came to attention and saluted his Imperator before turning and boarding the waiting plane.

The plane taxied to a runway and took off. Still standing in the same spot, Domitus held his crying daughter and praying to the Gods for the safe return of his daughter's fiancée.


Ninian walked down the stairs after the quick flight to Jerusalem. He checked in with the duty Optio and brought his bags to his temporary quarters. Ninian had one thing to do before checking to see if any of his unit had come in. He freshened up and left to see the Commanding Dux of the Legionem.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close