An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 26

Four days underwater in a Hydra would tax anyone not use to it. Everything is complicated from cooking the meals, to the air they breathed, to flushing the toilets. Nevertheless, somehow, the men and women of the Carthage worked together and got him to Tingi. He thanked the Nav. and took the waiting car, where he was driven to an Imperial jet.

The flight from one side of the Empire to the other was about 3½ hours. Mamercus used the time to sleep. He had a hard time sleeping on the Carthage because of all the bunks around him switched occupants every twelve hours. His, the Nav. and the XO's were the only ones that didn't do that. He was told that it was called hot bunking. Two people on opposite watches slept in the same bunk and most of the time when you went to sleep; the bunk was still hot from the other occupant.

The bump of landing woke him as the plane landed in Byzantium. A car waited for him at the bottom of the stairs. Inside sat his boss, the Intelligence Minister, Lord Fionnán.

"Ah, Gellius, please," said Lord Fionnán gesturing to the seat next to him.

"First, I know that the message you sent said not to involve the IIA yet, but that had been taken care of. Second good work in New Aksum, if you had waited another day you would be dead. Now, the Imperator wants to see you, but we are taking you to a safe house first so you can freshen up and change your cloths."

"Thank you, I am sure I am getting quiet ripe. I did wash on the Carthage, but it was seawater," said Mamercus.

The safe house looked like any that Mamercus had seen. He knew that some of the safe houses were more opulent, for higher-level interviews, but he had never seen any. He took his first real shower in a while cleaning everywhere and getting the crust of salt off his skin. The bedroom held his new cloths, a brand new suit, tailored to him and dress shoes in his size. Someone had been in his apartment because his tie clip, the one his father had given him, sat on the dresser. It explained how the suit was tailored to him without him trying it on.

The same car took him through Byzantium and to the Great Palace. Lord Fionnán stood waiting for him, to escort him to the Imperator. A small walk to a hidden elevator, and a short ride down brought him to their destination.

"This is The Room. It is the most secure place anywhere. There is one in every Imperial Palace and is used for only the highest meetings, ones that must be kept secret," mentioned Lord Fionnán.

Seated at one end of the table sat the Imperator, Domitus. From what Mamercus could see, he wore the weight of the Empire well, almost as if he was born for it. Behind the Imperator sat a Nav. from the Army, from the uniform that he wore. Mamercus didn't know what he was doing here, but went with it and bowed to the Imperator.

"Gellius how was the flight?" asked the Imperator.

"I don't know Sire, I slept the entire flight."

"Good. I'm sure you didn't sleep very well the last few weeks, running only on adrenaline. Well let's get started. I know the message you sent was just to warn us, what else it there?"

"Sire, Caliphates soldiers will attack us all along our fronts. Until now they have mostly been from Arabia and Parthia, this attack will bring the African troops to the war. The hope was to surprise our African Legionems.

"In addition to this the Vikings would attack from the North, making our war a two front war. They would attack the Germanias and the Celtic Islands. All of our allies would be attacked on multiple fronts, cutting us off from their help.

"Sire, they were going to cause World War."

"My Gods. Fionnán, get this information to our allies. Let them know what coming."

"Yes Sire. Gellius, would the Resistance help us?"

"Yes they would and the Elder that I spoke too said as much, but they need weapons. If we could get them some they would help."

"Did they give you contact instructions?"

"Yes, a contact and password, they are in my written report."

"Good. I am sorry to say, your field days are over. Your likeness has been given to all countries. You have been burned. Therefore, I understand that The Island has been after you to become an instructor there. Take up their offer; otherwise it is a desk job."

"I will, milord."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close