An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 23

With all of the flying he had been doing lately, Ninian began to feel like one of those jet setters he heard about. Always flying from one place to another. Ninian looked out the window to see the lights of Byzantium twinkle and shine. Two of the brightest came from the same area. The Great Palace shown like a beacon to any Caliphate Bombers, if the Roman Air Force did not have air superiority.

The other brightest source came from the Hagia Sophia, the seat of the Patriarch of Constantinople. Built at the height of Christianity in the Empire, it became the most beautiful of the cathedrals and the seat of the Patriarch, the second most important man in the Christian Church, until the capital moved back to Rome, but the position still held a certain amount of respect from the rest of the Patriarchs.

Ninian heard the landing gear coming down, telling him he was landing soon. The International Airport had mostly civilian airplanes, but had a small area controlled by the Praetorian Guard for use by the Imperial Family. That became the planes destination. The area also housed two squadrons and their support personnel of Intercipere for protection.

The plane stopped and the stairs were lowered. Ninian stood up and thanked the pilots for the smooth and fast ride before walking down the stairs. Three vehicles stood at the foot of the stairs. Close enough to walk to, but far enough away to protect them from jet wash. The vehicles in front and back were large SUV types, black of course, with tinted windows. A stretch limo sat between them with two flags on the front, a small version of the Roman Flag, and the Imperators personal crest.

Praetorian Guards stood around the limo, protecting the two standing figures, the Imperator and Ameilia. They were both dressed in what Ninian's father called business casual, dress pants or skirt, with a dress shirt unbuttoned at the top. Ameilia had her hair loose, framing her face. She looked beautiful Ninian thought.

She was holding onto her father's arm, and as he got closer, Ninian saw love, adoration, and a little lust coming from her eyes as she looked at him. A plan came to Ninian. He would ask her for a walk in the gardens after he was settled.

After the hugs and greeting, the three of them got into the limo and the small convoy took off. Ninian somehow managed to sit next to Ameilia.

"How is it your here and not in class?" asked Ninian to Ameilia.

"We had semester finals two weeks ago; we have leave for the next month. It worked out because you came at the right time," she smiled.

"Listen, after a four hour drive to Londinium and another four hours on a plane, I need to stretch my legs a bit. Would you like to join me for a walk and we can catch up?"

"Absolutely."


Ninian and Aemilia walked in the Southern Garden, lit up by the lights and the moon, giving them enough light to walk. Ninian had been given a room; he had been given an apartment. Before the Imperator had left, Ninian asked for some time the next day. He quickly unpacked his things and set off in search of Aemilia, who had said would be in the Southern Gardens. She had given him directions to them.

They walked and talked about some of the things they had not said over the last six months. When they came to a bench, Ninian took the opportunity to make his move.

"Can we sit for a moment, I need to tell you something and it would be better sitting?" asked Ninian.

Ameilia sat, Ninian beside her.

"Before we meet and before my little adventure, I was in the Battle of Ur. It was my first battle, but I was not alone. My two childhood friends were there with me. Iodocus was a joker. He would pull pranks to lighten a mood, never to humiliate. Fedlimid was the one who got us to do things. But if I thought, it was too dangerous she would back me.

"The thing is they loved each other, but hadn't said anything. I noticed it over the years and heard them say it only to me. Just before the battle, they admitted it to each other. They were going to talk afterwards, but they never got the chance. Iodocus was hit by a bullet; Fedlimid went to apply first aid. But before a medic could get there, a grenade got them both."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close