An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 22

Mamercus is out of Aksum territory, but not out of danger yet. Five hours ago, he stole a boat after his guide got pick up for something stupid. Mamercus suspected that it was because the soldiers could. This after two weeks getting to Banana and another two waiting for the smugglers. The boat was not much, a small fishing boat only getting about 8 kts. He was fortunate that he has two radios and RADAR. One he has set to the Roman Naval frequency, the other to general radio traffic.

There was only a month left until the attack. He needed to get the information to Rome. The trip to the coast took two weeks of riverboats and hiking in the jungle. He learned that not many roads went through the jungle; some people contacted a sickness that killed them. From the description of what the victims went through Mamercus happily got on the riverboats.

A beep alerted him to something coming up to him from behind. Mamercus grabbed the binoculars and looked behind him. Three boats tailed him about a mile back and the people did not look Roman or friendly. They were close enough that big machine guns could be seen with the binoculars.

He picked up his mike, selecting the Roman frequency, saying, "Mayday, Mayday, Roman citizen in trouble. Three hostile boats following me. Coordinates are 5.7508S, 1150968W."

He repeated the same speech every few moments, only changing the coordinates. He eventually heard something on his radio, but not from any Roman ship.

"Attention fishing boat, this is the Aksum Coastal Defense. Heave to and prepare to be boarded. Failure to comply would result in us opening fire."

The same message repeated. Mamercus ignored it and continued his Mayday. Just before the three Aksum boats got in range for their guns, the lead boat blew up. Followed closely by the other two. Mamercus gazed in shock, and almost jumped when the Roman frequency came to life.

"Boat in distress, please identify yourself. This is the INS Carthage, please respond."

Mamercus let out his breath he didn't know he was holding. He gave the radio his codename, who he worked for and his situation. The voice said to hold on, they needed to verify the ID. It took a few moments, but the Nav. of the ship came on the radio.

"Fulvius, what can we do for you?" asked the Nav.

"First, Nav. where are you?"

"An arpent below you and five perch west. We are a Hydra."

"I need you to surface and take me to the nearest air base. Once aboard I need Priority A level access to your comm system."

"We'll be surfacing momentarily. The nearest air base is Tingi, our homeport. We should have you there in about three to five days."

"Thank you Nav."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close