An Empire's War
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

About the time Mamercus started his journey, Ninian began packing all of his stuff. The IV Imperial got orders to come off the line for leave. They would be leaving two days after the Auxilia Legionem sent to replace them arrives. They were due to land the next day, so right now all personnel not on duty packed what they didn't need for the next three days. The only thing they were allowed to take with them was their Sarcina Morbi and weapons. Everything else stayed here with the Auxilia Legionem, or got onto a cargo plane for Jerusalem.

It seemed to Ninian that since the war started he had only fought in a few battles, when the war is just over seven months old. Every time he fought a battle, something conspired against him so that he didn't fight again for a while. The first stop for the IV Imperial would be Jerusalem, where they would sign out on leave. They would be able to go anywhere within the Empire, but had to check in with the local Auxilia Legionem, in case their leave was shortened.

From Jerusalem, Ninian would be flying to Londinium, and then driving to Concangis. Galberus would be going with him, at least for the first month. After the shaky start, the two became quick friends. After visiting with his family and taking care of some pending things at his new Manor, he would be flying to Byzantium to stay with the Imperial family.

Yesterday, another Praetorian Guard showed up with another invitation. The difference this time, it wasn't formal, but all written communications from the Imperial family came by Praetorian. It gave some of them something to do besides train.

This invitation came from Aemila, with her father's permission, to stay with her during his leave, at the Great Palace in Byzantium. He wrote back he would be there in a few weeks.


Four days later Ninian boarded a plane with Galberus to Londinium. It would take them five hours non-stop. They slept and ate the offered food. Touchdown came in Londinium came late afternoon/early evening. Ninian rented a car, and they took off for the four-hour drive to Concangis and home. Galberus took the first leg; Ninian would take over when they got closer.

They stopped halfway there to get something to eat and use the bathroom. By now the sun had set and the stars and moon shown. At Nine, Ninian pulled up to his parents' house. He hadn't told them he was coming wanting to surprise them. Fortunately, the lights were still on. Through the window, he could see his parents and sister watching the news before bed.

Ninian got out, and walked to the door. By instinct his finger found the lighted doorbell and the sound announced he was at the door. Noise told him someone was coming to open it. The door opened, and there stood his mother. She screamed and promptly fainted.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close