An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 18

Word had come down the line that the IV Imperial would be staying in Ha'il for the time being. This meant that regular non-military communications could be established.

Ninian knew from experience, having a loved one to talk to, even if it is an email, is vital to a soldiers health. It is what keeps them grounded and reminds them why they are fighting. It keeps away the fatigue and stress that combat entails.

Because of this Ninian gave his men as much down time as he could get away with, allowing them to connect with family and loved ones. Ninian was no exception. He told Odilia and Galberus that unless it was something they could not handle, they were not to interrupt him for the next two hours.

Opening his personal email, he found quite a few messages. Most came from his family telling him the goings on in the town. One came from the Seneschal of his manor, telling Ninian that when he was in town to come and see him. The last one came from Aemila.

Ninian answered them message from the Seneschal first, then his family, leaving Aemila last.

Dear Ninian,

I have a love/hate relationship with school. I love it because no cadet is allowed titles here. It is to promote a sense of unity. This means I am just another cadet, not royalty. I can be myself, like I am with you. I hate it because most of the families from court send their second and third born children here. Some of the cadets treat this like court, looking down upon what they think are the inferior classes. It's caused some friction, to say the least.

I made some friends with cadets from the Plebeian and Patrician classes. Some of the cadets made some noise about it and I got into some fights. Now I have to do walking tours for a set number of hours, twenty to be exact. Then some more for being late, cleanliness, and appearance.

We have to choose a major by next year and I don't know what to choose. Growing up I got the bare basics of every major here, I never got into any of them. What would you choose if you had the chance?

Class starts soon, I had better go before I get more hours. Talk to you soon.

Love,

Aemila

Ninian thought, What would I study. This war has taught me one thing, the need for nations and countries to talk to one another. I guess International Relations would be it. However, back home some things we get from overseas are more expensive because of the war. The other nations don't want to ship goods here because of the Caliphate subs. In that case, Economics would be good as well.

In the end, Ninian wrote back to Aemila telling her about the compromise he came up with Galberus, his confrontation with Virginius, and his indecision on what to study. He did tell her his two choices though. He ended the day with some paperwork that had to be finished and went to bed.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close