An Empire's War
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Ninian woke from a half sleep, one that allowed him to get rest but not fully. His mind kept going back and forth between good outcomes and bad. The dawn was like any other he had seen in the previous months in the desert; blue skies, bright sun, and warm air that build throughout the day.

Ninian got the rest of his Cont. up and suggested they check their gear one more time. Ninian saw Apollinarius looking at him smiling.

Apollinarius announced, "Sarcina Morbi only, we are coming back here when the battle is over."

Ninian detached his Sarcina Morbi from the rest of his gear and checked it out. He made sure his hydration bladder and his canteens filled. That he had his two spare barrels for his Spatha, one inside the Sarcina, one outside. His other ammo pouches were in the Sarcina as well.

Then he started to get ready. His Balteus went on first with his Pugio and Gladius. Then his Scutum, with all of his pouches for his radio, ammo, dump pouch for his sent drums, and grenades. His knee and elbow pads went on next, then his Sarcina Morbi. On top of his head sat his Galea and his goggles protecting his eyes. He was ready to go.


The twenty pu ride to the projected battlefield became tense. Ninian's mind kept going over what he had not done in his life, as he was sure the others were doing. Ninian looked around the Gerulus Contuberium and caught the eyes of Fedlimid.

"Fed, now may not be the perfect time but you need to tell him," said Ninian, motioning to Iodocus.

"Your right," she said.

Then turning to Iodocus she grabbed his head and kissed him. Not a sisterly kiss or a kiss on the cheek, but a kiss that two lovers would share, a kiss that fills your heart with love and joy just from watching it.

Breaking the kiss and looking into his eyes, Fedlimid said, "Iodocus, I love you. I have loved you for years. I did not want to have that regret if something should happen. Now is not the time but when this is over, you and I are going to have a big talk."

Iodocus sat there with a look of delight, "I love you too. And I look forward to that talk."

Ninian did not plan it like this, but the Cont. remembered why they were fighting. It pushed those thoughts of regrets out of their minds.

"Ok, listen up. One minute until we get out," said Apollinarius, "We've done that hundreds of times. Riflemen, three round bursts, the only fully automatic weapons are going to be the Assault rifles. Remember controlled bursts on those automatics. Marksmen, take what you can, but concentrate on the ones in the back. I leave the details to you. Our Gerulus Contuberium will handle vehicles, short of tanks and artillery.

"Fifteen seconds ... ten seconds ... now, now, now!"

The teens poured out of the GC-28, taking positions, prone facing forward, each scanning the horizon looking for hostiles. Seeing none, they got up and leapfrogged forward with the GC-28 following. Aquila and Imhotep plugged into the feed that the Recon Cont. and the aerial drone the Air Force had up, and were feeding that information to Apollinarius and the rest of the Cont.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close