An Empire's War
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

The mid-summer sun was in the process of turning the sky red-orange behind Ninian when he woke-up. The bus approached a gate with huge buildings on the other side. On the right sat a huge warehouse like building with a parking lot/garage combination next to it. On the left sat a number of big buildings, none of which gave any indication of their use. The driver, as soon as he passed the gate, took the second left towards the big buildings and stopped in front of the third one on the right.

"Iodocus, Fedlimid, we're here. Wake-up," Ninian said, nudging them awake.

He turned his attention to the front as the doors opened and a uniformed woman walked onto the bus. She had on the same type of uniform that the driver had on, but with different patches. In the failing light, Ninian estimated her height to be between 5'8" and 5'11" and in her early twenties, with shoulder length brown hair and patasus on her head.

"Everyone wake-up," she yelled.

Most of the people woke-up startled, with a confused look on their face.

"Get your Medical Records out," she ordered.

When everyone got their records out, she said, "When I tell you, you will have 30 seconds to get your miserable asses off my bus and into the building. You will be given a number that must be displayed at all times. You will be directed to a bench, sit there and do not talk. Another Instructor will tell you what to do from there.

"Now, get off my bus."

Chaos ensued for the next few moments as the teenagers pushed and shoved their way off the bus. Just at the door to the building, another uniformed man handed them a lanyard with a number and telling them to go the bench with that number. He mentioned to the bathrooms on the left and said to use them now. The bench in question already had about forty teenagers sitting there. Ninian saw that his bus of sixty would fill the bench. Ninian and the rest sat and waited to be told what to do next.

After what seemed like hours of waiting, but was really twenty minutes, another uniform came over.

"Welcome to Castrum Glevum. Here's what's going to happen," he started, "When your number is called, get up and stand in line. Your first stop is the barbers. You guys will get your haircut very short, while you girls will get it cut to shoulder length. Next is the Clinic, where Medical Corp personnel will go over your records and give you shots if you need them and go over your meds if you have any.

"Then you are going to be measured and the Quartermasters will issue you your gear and weapons. Finally, after changing, you will be assigned to your Training Century. Until then, just sit here and no talking."

Ninian sat, waited, and watched the other benches ahead of his go up and wait-in-line. Surprisingly, the line moved at a good pace for the number of people still waiting. Eventually they called Ninian's bench number.

They did not have to wait long, just a quick buzz of the clippers or a snip of the scissors and off to the clinic. Ninian had a quick visit there as well, no new shots. Getting measured took some time; the Quartermasters there measured everything and wrote it down on a piece of paper with his name on it. The Quartermaster told him to wait in the next line and give the paper to someone at the counter. This became another long wait.

At the counter, he gave his paper to a man and waited. It was some time before the man came back with a big plastic box full of stuff with a manila envelope on top.

"OK, in this envelope are two lists and your ID tags. Put the ID tags around your neck, you are to have them at all times. One list is what you can and cannot have with you during training. The other list is everything that you are being issued. Check it as you are packing your Sarcina. At the bottom of the box is a folded up mailing box, place all that you cannot have in there, write your name and address on the box and place it with the others at the end. Keep one set of uniform cloths, Outer Tunic, Caliga, and Patasus out to change into," said the man to Ninian, and pointed to the tables behind him.

Setting the box and his backpack on the table, Ninian opened the envelope and took out the two lists and his ID tags. It was a short list of what he could and could not keep. He could keep two outfits, his toiletries, three photos, paper, pens, pencils, his wallet, and his watch. After taking one outfit and the rest of the items on the list out of his backpack, he placed the backpack in the mailing box and sealed it up placing it with the others waiting to be mailed.

The second list, Ninian saw, held just about everything that he would need, including weapons. The list explained that the weapons weapon use would not be until the fifth week, but suggested that he familiarize himself with them in the meantime. The list included Under Tunics, Braccaes, Caligas, Sneakers, subligaria, shorts, a Galea, a Patasus, a Balteus, Outer Tunics, belts, bed sheets, top sheets, blankets, pillowcases, laundry bags, a Sarcina, a Field Sarcina, writing utensils, a regulations book, a rank book, whetstone, cleaning kits, and instructions on cleaning and care for the weapons. There was even a little baggie with patches for his uniform. The ID tags were right on top, so Ninian put those around his neck first, so he did not forget them.

Then he took one each of green socks, subligaria, a green tunic, a braccae, a belt, balteus, caliga, and patasus to put on and packed the rest. Everything fit in the sarcina, including the field sarcina except the weapons. Ninian swung the sarcina over like a backpack, took his clothes, and went into the changing room. Rows and rows of benches dominated the changing room, allowing Ninian to place his clothes and his sarcina on one of the benches. He changed into his uniform, placing his civilian clothes in the sarcina.

The uniform appeared to look almost like the one the bus driver wore, but this time Ninian was able to get a better look at it. The Roman Battle Standard attached to his right sleeve, near the shoulder. This battle standard once carried in front of any Roman Legion, evolved, just like everything in the Empire. The new standard included the Imperial Eagle, perched between the olive branches on two gladii, and SPQR underneath all in gold on an Imperial Red field.

The Standard attached to the uniform with Velcro, just like his name patch that went over his heart and a small square with a green Gladius with black trim that attached down the center of the uniform. There were pockets everywhere, slanted for easier access and some kept closed with buttons, others with more Velcro. The sleeves and the collar could be closed to keep the elements oust as much as possible. The list mentioned that this was a field uniform.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close