1 - Clan Amir: A Fighting Heritage - Cover

1 - Clan Amir: A Fighting Heritage

Copyright 2007 by Ernest Bywater as Ernest Edwards

Chapter 04

Fighting Birth

Granite Mannheim

Born Gerald Herbert Mannheim on March 1st, 1942, the son of a US construction engineer working for a French company in Berana and a Berant woman of the Ber Clan (pronounced bear). Gerald grows up on the tales of his clan and tribal heritage. His mother is the only daughter of the Ber Clan Father, the clan for whom the country Berant is named. The Ber had been kings for several centuries, until two despotic kings ruled in succession in such a way as to push the Amir Clan too far. Civil war followed, and the Amir became the ruling clan of the country in the 6th century AD / CE. The Ber remained the premier clan of the Bera tribe whose lands run from the capital city of Berana to the western mountains.

Anaire Mannheim teaches her son the culture, skills, laws, history, ethics, language, and legends of her clan, tribe, and country. Herbert Mannheim teaches his son the culture, skills, games, history, ethics, and legends of his birth land of the United States of America (US). Gerald grows up learning French, English, and Beran - the tribe’s language. Over the years of his childhood and youth he learns and examines both of his parents’ cultures. He’s able to identify many common elements in them, and he works hard to be a good example of both. He’s a perfect example of the welding together of the best parts of both cultures.

During the Japanese occupation the Mannheim family lives and works on a clan farm in the mountains, hidden far away from the Japanese. At the end of the Second World War they move back to the city to help with the reconstruction and rebuilding of the country.

When they take over the country the Rebel Generals say things will be better. However, there’s little immediate difference in Berana. After a few days the Rebels are murdering people for no valid reason. People become afraid and they start defending themselves, so the Rebel Generals and their troops become worse. Like many others the Mannheim family decides to leave the country. However, they’ve left their decision too late because the Generals have now closed off all avenues of escape. The fighting grows worse. Many of the people find a refuge in the embassies of foreign governments, the most notable being the embassies of Australia, New Zealand, UK, and USA because their governments have agreed to accept any refugees. The Rebels establish military forces around the embassies and they won’t allow anyone who has Berant citizenship to get close to them. They also refuse the Embassy staff permission to roam the city or country unescorted. The citizens take to calling the soldiers of the Rebel Generals’ Army Vultures because they act like vultures by picking over the bodies of the dead citizens.

A New Responsibility

Herbert Mannheim is determined to get his family out of Berant and to safety, somehow. He knows many others who are married to Berant citizens because they make a small sub-community within Berana. The foreign born can leave upon producing their passports but their families can’t, and this is not acceptable to any of them. They gather together in a part of Berana not often visited by the Rebel troops, but not far from the embassies. It’s soon called the Foreigner’s Quarter. They search for a way to get their families out. If they can reach any of the embassies they’d be safe.

In mid June, 1946, Anaire’s brother, Bardee, visits them because he has a proposition to put to Herbert. He says, “Husband of my sister, we’re a clan. The head of the clan, the Clan Father, is directly responsible for every member of the clan. As such, all orphans automatically become his dependants and he must care for them. My father is dead and we’ve no Clan Father. The Clan Council has gathered, talked, and voted. We wish you to take over as Clan Father until such time as one of my sons or nephews reaches manhood and you select one as a suitable Clan Father.”

Both Herbert and Anaire are stunned as it’s almost unheard of for a clan to ask one not born of the clan to be the Clan Father. It isn’t against the laws, but it’s not the traditional way. Herbert asks, “Why me?”

Bardee replies, “It’s the consensus of the Clan Council you’ve the best chance of seeing to the welfare of the clan children, especially the orphans whose numbers grow each day. The Vultures are busy trying to eliminate the tribe and clan. You, as a foreign national, they won’t touch. You can get food, clothes, shelter, and take them to safety.”

“Take them to safety? How do I get past the Vulture blockade?”

Bardee responds, “Accept this responsibility and you, with all of your friends, will safely pass the blockade. The Clan Council can guarantee this.” Anaire gasps when she realises what the Clan Council has in mind to do. Herbert takes Anaire’s hand in his when he realises what he’s not being told. He gives a slow nod yes, then he accepts the silver ring Bardee places on his finger; along with the responsibility it represents. Four year old Gerald watches this without understanding it.

By late June the preparations are nearly done. Over a dozen buses and trucks are gathered. The exteriors have been strengthened with steel plates. The engines are well tuned and all of the mechanical works are in top condition. Together they’ll carry over five hundred people while providing protection against small arms fire. The Foreigner’s Quarter has one hundred and fifty residents left and the vehicles will carry about three hundred and fifty more Berant citizens with them: orphans of the Ber clan and now dependants of Herbert. Dozens of Jeeps and light trucks are also prepared as battle wagons. One of the US citizens in the Foreigner’s Quarter volunteers to leave his family to enter the Embassy to ensure all is in readiness within. They choose July 4th, 1946, as the day to act as this has a great symbolic significance for the US people who make up the largest contingent there.

A Way Out

On the evening of July 3rd people start gathering in the warehouse being used to ready the buses and trucks. Each vehicle will have a US national at the front of it and they’ll hold their passport up, ready to show them when needed. Each vehicle is driven by an adult trained to drive that specific vehicle, so they know its capabilities very well. The people spread out in the warehouse to get some sleep, if they can.

Soon after dawn on the 4th of July they wake up, wash, have breakfast, and start to get ready. Each person is allowed to take aboard one carry-bag they can carry on their back or chest. All other property must be left behind because there isn’t room for it. At 8:00 a.m. they start climbing aboard the vehicles. They take their seats and hold their bags in their laps. Drivers and mechanics are giving the vehicles final checks and tests to make sure they’ll handle the demands of the day well.

At 9:15 a.m. all is ready, but five buses are still almost empty. The side door opens and a long line of people enter the building. The adults speak to the children, many hug tight, and the children mount the last buses, filling them. All of the adults stand there with weapons in hand. Some of the foreign born adults walk over to Herbert to ask about this. They arrive at the bus Anaire will drive and Herbert will ride in while he’s helping Bardee’s five children board the bus. They’re on the verge of tears, like many of these late arrivals. Just as the other foreigners arrive Bardee shakes Herbert’s hand and says, “Look after our orphans, brother. We’ll now leave to open the door. Give us ten minutes head start.” With tears in his eyes Bardee turns and jogs toward the front door while he waves his arm above his head. The armed adults swarm aboard the combat vehicles while four of them open the front doors wide. They jump aboard when the combat vehicles go by. The small convoy of makeshift combat vehicles leaves with their occupants shouting their family and clan battle cries.

Turning to the others Herbert says, “They go to clear the Vultures from our path. Say your prayers for them while we drive, because we won’t have time to mourn them today or to go to their funerals.” Shocked, they all look at him. One by one they turn away and walk back to the vehicles when they realise those fifty plus adults are giving their lives so this convoy may reach the Embassy in safety. The price for their sacrifice being the safe conveyance of their children out of the danger zone. All of the parents understand and relate to this action. Ten minutes later the convoy starts up and it moves out while it follows the route previously decided upon and marked out on the road with cans of paint. Out the door, straight down the road, left, and four blocks to the main road through Berana, right, down the main road to the US Embassy, then right into the Embassy gateway to safety and a future away from the murderers who are now in charge of Berant.

Working the Key

Bardee leads fifteen vehicles, Jeeps and light trucks, out into the city. Twenty minutes after leaving the warehouse they’re nearing the road block set up across it. When they approach it troops move out to cover them during a search of the vehicles. At that moment other nearby clan members throw satchel charges at the road block. When the charges land the troops turn toward the people near them. Bardee and his people open fire. The troops turn back. The charges explode to destroy the road block while killing most of the troops at it.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close