1 - Clan Amir: A Fighting Heritage - Cover

1 - Clan Amir: A Fighting Heritage

Copyright 2007 by Ernest Bywater as Ernest Edwards

Chapter 02

Political Polka

Two days later they’re staying in a hotel in Queanbeyan, NSW, just outside of Canberra, ACT, as Ed has an appointment to talk to a Member of Parliament the next day. The MP is a close friend of a cousin. During the drive down he’s had a few long talks with the girls. They informed him their main reason to be in Australia is to hire troops to help restore the Royal Family to the throne in Berant. Mara has jewels to finance the task. They also explain the claims about all of the Royal Family being dead are false because some of the children still live. Ed has an idea of where they are, but he says nothing. He’ll wait until they do or it’s imperative they tell him. Mara wants him to speak to the Berant Ambassador so she gives Ed some sets of code phrases to use.

Ed arrives at the MP’s office at the 9:30 a.m. appointment time alone. When shown in he sits down as he asks, “Can you please tell me what the government’s position is on the Berant situation and the murderers claiming to be the government now, unofficially, if need be.”

The MP says, “Now that’s an interesting question, why the interest by you?”

He replies, “I’ve been approached by some representatives of the Berant Royal Family to hire some out of work soldiers to help restore the Berant Royal Family to the throne. If I’ll be going against the government’s position on this I need to know up front.”

The MP says, “This was discussed by the government MPs earlier in the week and we were going to recognise the new people because our people on the ground there say all of the Royal Family are dead, so there’s no legal government left. Yesterday the Ambassador of Berant informed us a few members of the Berant Royal Family have been brought safely to Australia as the member of the Palace Guard who escorted them was murdered outside their Consulate in Sydney. He lived long enough to tell them he’d brought them safe to this country. We intend to discuss the matter in the House when we sit again, later today. We’ve no official position until the House makes a decision. Personally, I’d hate to see us recognise those killers, but some of the members want to recognise the Generals so they can establish business relationships that’ll be very profitable for both of the countries. If your contacts can get some proof to the House a member of the Berant Royal Family lives, that should resolve the issue very nicely. We already recognise them as the true government, so the discussion will be dropped.”

“I’ll pass the message on, but I don’t know how long it’ll take to get through the various contacts to where it’s needed. Can you delay the discussion for a day or so, because I’m sure they can respond in a few days.” The MP shakes his head no. Ed adds, “Then please don’t say anything about our meeting to anyone until the matter is discussed in Parliament.” The MP nods his agreement. Ed sighs, and stands as he thanks him while they shake hands before Ed leaves the office.

Once outside of the office Ed heads to a post office a few minutes’ walk away. Once there he uses a public telephone to call the Berant Embassy. When the Embassy switchboard operator answers he asks for the Ambassador’s secretary. On reaching her he says, “May I speak to the Ambassador, please? It’s very urgent and it’s about the Berant bird of prey migration patterns.”

With eyes going wide the secretary thinks, Surely not, it can’t be about the missing Falcons. She makes a quick decision to put the call through and interrupts a meeting she was told not to disturb for any reason. To the Ambassador she says, “I’m sorry, Sir, but I think you really do need to talk to this gentleman, and right now!”

The Ambassador knows this must be extremely important or she wouldn’t be interrupting the meeting, because she knows how important the meeting is. Taking the call the Ambassador says, “Yes, Ambassador Ebbing speaking. How can I help you?”


Ed says, “Ambassador Ebbing, I know you don’t know me, but I’ve an important message for you. When they sit later today the Australian Parliament will be discussing the situation in Berant and if they should recognise the murderers currently in control of your country. You must use your contacts to get them to allow you to speak on this matter in the House. During your talk you must be prepared to hand over the discussion to another who’ll be there. Once you do you’ll hear the Sound ring forth the call to arms. Do you understand?”

Ebbing is listening very hard, but the last statement makes him sit up, literally, and take notice. The man can only mean The Sound of Battle, the oldest and most revered of the Berant Royal Swords. This ancient sword can only be carried and drawn by a member of the Royal Family. It rings forth only when it’s needed to call the tribes together for war, and when it strikes another sword during battle. This man is saying a Princess will be there to speak if he can organise to be allowed to speak. Gulping hard he says, “Tell the Falcon I stand to the Sound and I’ll do all I can to do as ordered.” The others in the room suddenly sit up at his response. They all stare at him hard, very hard.

“That’s all any of us can do. Until then, Mister Ambassador.” Ed hangs up the phone, then he walks away in deep thought about the situation.

At the Embassy Ebbing speaks to his staff, “Forget the search for the Falcons, we’ve orders. The Australian Parliament discusses Berant in today’s sitting. I must be allowed to speak to them in the House. Contact everyone we can, it must be arranged, a Falcon has ordered it.” Smiling, they all depart to pull every political string they can reach or grope for.


While being careful to check for tails Ed heads back to the hotel they’re staying at. On reaching his suite he sits the girls down and he says, “Mara, I’ve spoken to my MP contact and Ambassador Ebbing. Things are much more critical than we thought. Later today the House discusses the Berant situation; specifically, recognition of the Generals. I’ve used the extreme code you gave me to get action from Ambassador Ebbing. I didn’t beat about the bush because it’s ‘go for broke’ time. He told me: ‘Tell the Falcon I stand to the Sound and I’ll do all I can to do as ordered.’ He’s trying to get approval to speak to the House and he’ll be ready to hand control over. I told him The Sound of Battle will ring forth if he does.” She gulps as she looks at him. “I know I’ve committed us further and faster than you wanted. However, it’s needed because events are going fast. We must move ahead of them or fall to the side. Now you must tell me what you’ve been holding back. Which of you is the missing Princess?”

Gulping again she looks at him, “Four of us are. That’s why it was so important for you marry us all. We can’t afford the risk of there being multiple claimants for the throne because the country is in too much turmoil as it is. It’s just lucky we all want you for our husband and you accept all of us. It’s like fate has taken a hand. As the eldest I must go, but the rest must wait in complete safety.” He nods agreement before he leaves to make the arrangements.

He contacts more of the ex-soldiers he used to work with, and he gets hold of some who live in or near Canberra. They’re all out of work. After their time in combat they’re having trouble fitting into the much slower and less stressful civilian life.


Later that day Mara is dressed in full court dress with The Sound of Battle strapped to her waist with a large cape over it all when she leaves with Ed and two of his men. Ed is also wearing a cape over a military type uniform. The other five men and three more men who live in Canberra will stay to keep the rest of the girls safe. One man drives a car to Parliament House while Ed, Mara, and one guard take a taxi from the Crawford Street taxi rank to Parliament House. Arriving before the start of the sitting they take seats in the gallery to watch and wait for their time to take action.

Parliament starts, and they discuss several issues. About two hours later the matter of Berant is raised. A few members speak: some for the recognition of the Generals and some against the Generals. One of the independent members stands and he says, “Gentlemen, before we discuss this at length I think we should first hear what Berant Ambassador Ebbing has to say. He’s waiting outside to speak to us, if we’ll allow it. Let us invite him in.” Much is discussed about if they should let the Ambassador in to speak to them, and a vote is taken. Most favour hearing him, so he’s allowed to talk. The doors open and the Sergeant at Arms invites Ambassador Ebbing in to speak.

The Ambassador formally addresses the members then he talks about how the Berant Royal Family have usually been beneficial to the people with the worst of them, Marshad, being indifferent. While the Generals are indiscriminate killers. He tells them members of the Royal Family still live and some have reached Australia. How killers of the Generals have murdered one Berant citizen in Sydney in their pursuit of the living members of the Royal Family. Should the Australian Government give these murderers any recognition they legalise this murder on their own soil.

Many members interrupt him and yell across the floor. The Speaker calls for order. Ed says, “That’s our cue.” He and Mara stand and they leave the gallery. They make their way to the chamber’s main entrance.

Reaching the main door Ed steps between the two formal guards on duty and he pounds on the door. The room goes quiet because pounding on the door shouldn’t be happening now, or at all. The Sergeant at Arms goes to the door and he opens it. Everyone in the room is watching the door.

When the door opens Ed very dramatically throws back his cape as he says, in a very loud voice, “You speak of Berant, then listen to the current Berant Head of government.”

He steps in and aside to allow Mara to walk in through the door. She throws her cape wide and her hood back. Striding into the room she walks up to Ebbing. He drops to his knee as he says, “Your Highness.”

Standing at the end of the table opposite the Speaker she draws her sword while saying, “This is an ancient sword of the Berant Royal Family. Only those born to the main blood line may carry and wear it. It’s called The Sound of Battle.” She strikes the flat of the sword hard against the solid wood leg of the table and a clear high note is heard in the room. She strikes it again, and again. After the third note she says, “The Sound of Battle rings only in battle or to be struck three times to call the tribes to arms for war, as I’ve just done. Berant is at war with a large group of brigands within its own borders. The Sound rings forth because the tribes must gather and fight. I, and My Warrior, will lead them.” At this last sentence Ed steps up beside her as Ebbing’s eyes go very wide. She’s used the formal title for her warrior mate, so this man is the new King. “Your discussion on recognition of the Generals is irrelevant since the official legal Berant Government still exists. It lives on through me, my sister, and my two cousins. At present I am the head of the Berant Government.”

She opens her mouth to speak again, but a voice yells, “Rocky, eight o’clock high, gun.” At the start of the call Ed spins around while stepping to stand between Mara and the threat. As he moves he draws a knife and he throws it at an armed man in the gallery. The man fires while the knife is still in flight. The knife hits the gunman in the throat and it severs his spine before he can fire again. The bullet hits Ed in the chest, above the heart. He staggers back into Mara’s arms and they both go to the floor when she takes his weight. She’d also turned around at the call of the threat. Security guards flood the gallery. She’s crying because her man is shot.

Ed groans, “Hell, that hurts almost as much as being shot.” Ebbing and Mara stare at him. He was shot, is he mad! Seeing the looks they give him he continues, “I’ve got two layers of those American Air Force anti-flak jackets on, they stopped the bullet, but it hurts. I think I’ve cracked a rib or two.” Mara and Ebbing both laugh because he’ll live when they thought he was dying.

The speaker stands and says, “The events that just happened are covered under the requirements of national security. No one’s to speak of them for fifty years. Sergeant at Arms, see you’ve the names of all present and they’ve all signed National Secrets Act Declarations. This session is adjourned until that’s taken care of.” A few minutes later one of the security people gives Ed back his knife, he’d cleaned it for him. Ed returns it to the sheath at the back of his neck.

Soon after that the Prime Minister approaches them while saying, “Queen Mara, we appreciate the risk you took in coming here to set the record straight. We’ll tell the world you still live and we’ll continue to recognise your government. However, we aren’t able to offer you any material help to resolve your troubles because we’ve our own country to rebuild after the war. I know you can appreciate our position. Please, now vanish again.”

She’s about to reply when Ed touches her arm while saying, “Mister Prime Minister, if you’ll spread the word you won’t object to any demobbed soldiers signing up to fight in our Army you’ll be doing us all a great favour. We’ll get military expertise and you’ll get rid of some soldiers who can’t fit back into the civilian work force yet. Also, the wages we pay them will be spent here while we train and get ready to go fight our enemy in Berant.”

The Prime Minister smiles, “Yes, it will. I’ll do as you ask. Good day.” He turns around and he leaves.

Ed looks at Mara as he says, “Come, my love, it’s time we got lost again. Thank you, Ambassador.” She helps him to stand up and they leave. Outside the building they get into the car Ed’s man brought, and they drive off - heading north. They’re quick to lose any tails before they double back.

On arriving back at their hotel in Queanbeyan they change the number plates on the car and pack up to leave. Better to spend the night driving than to risk being caught in a search for them. While they head toward the coast they brief the others on the events at Parliament House.

Ed hopes to throw off any trackers by moving out at night on a road where they can easily tell if anyone is following. If any trackers turn off their lights to avoid being seen they’ll be sure to have an accident. Also, by going toward the New South Wales coast before they follow the coast up to Sydney they’ll avoid the spies watching for them to head directly for Melbourne or Sydney. They need to go to Sydney to get the rest of the money from the sale of the diamond, and to also sell many more diamonds to fund the troops and equipment they’ll need to take back Berant country from the Rebels.


Money Matters

Ten days later they’re back in Sydney where they hire a solicitor to handle their legal affairs and the employment contracts. The next day Ed calls Harry and says “Hi, Harry, it’s me.”

Only to be cut off by Harry saying, “Yes, Mister Bellingham, I know you want that necklace urgently repaired, but I still can’t get it finished before Friday. I can work on it tomorrow night, but not tonight as I’m having dinner out with my wife. Like I told you when you were in the shop, it’ll cost you six pounds, ten shillings. Drop it in any time you like tomorrow, but not today.”

Ed gets the hidden message. They went to school together and Mr Bellingham was a teacher who was always watching them. So Harry is saying he’s being watched and it’s something to do with Ed. He’s to see him at his favourite eatery at 6:30 p.m. tonight. Because he resorted to code on the phone he suspects his phone is being listened to as well. After thinking about this Ed calls a friend in Melbourne to give him a quick brief. A few minutes later Harry receives a trunk call from a Melbourne pay phone. When he answers a man’s voice says, “Good day, it’s Rochester here. I’ll be in Sydney in fifteen days. I’d like to pick up the rest of my money for the diamond at that time. Will you have it ready?”

Harry knows this isn’t Ed’s voice, and he’s pretty sure he knows who it really is because it’s a familiar voice. This is a nice decoy. He says, “Yes, I’ve already sold it on at a nice profit. I’ll have the paperwork and payment ready for you when you call in. Have a nice day.” They exchange pleasantries then the caller hangs up.

Going back to his repair work Harry smiles about the time and money those people watching him will waste trying to track Ed down in Melbourne when he’s already in Sydney.

When Harry goes home for lunch, as it’s only a few minutes’ walk from the shop, he tells his wife they’ll be eating out tonight. She smiles while she thinks, He’s remembered my birthday. She says, “Finally, you’ve remembered my birthday for once.” He smiles back as he eats his lunch. On his way back to the shop he organises for flowers and a nice cake to be delivered to the restaurant for their dinner. He also opens a prepaid account for her at her favourite clothing shop for two hundred pounds. Now, if he can remember it for next year she’ll be really happy.

Later he closes up and he leaves work with the envelope for the prepaid account paperwork in his coat pocket, with other papers behind it. He goes home and he prepares to go out for dinner. At the restaurant they’re shown to their table and given menus. His has a note telling him to go to the toilet. After they decide on their meals he smiles at his wife while he places the order for their meals with some drinks to go with them. Then he excuses himself and he heads for the toilet.

In the toilet Harry finds Ed waiting for him. From behind the gift envelope he pulls out an envelope and he hands it to Ed. While Harry uses the toilet Ed says, “You’re being followed by two men. Do you want me to take care of them?” Harry shakes his head no, washes his hands, and he leaves as all he needs to say is in the letter. After waiting a few minutes Ed leaves the toilet to go through the side entrance into the pub next door. Few know of this arrangement for the pub and restaurant to share staff and consumables. Going through the pub Ed leaves by its rear entrance on the side street. He climbs into a car and he’s driven off. He does leave four men behind, competent locals he knows and hires to keep a full-time watch on Harry to make sure the watchers don’t hurt him or his property or his family.

On the drive back to the Sydney hotel Ed opens the envelope to find a cheque for the rest of the money and a letter he reads. Harry took his time selling the diamond on while he gets photos of it and an independent evaluation first. He made some enquiries, and it was six days before he offered it for sale. Within a day and a half of it being offered for sale a man approached the police claiming it’s his diamond and it was stolen from his house while he was away for a few days. The only saving grace was the delay in selling as the man claimed it was stolen a day and a half after Harry had shown it to two other people. Still, the police want to talk to Ed about where he got it from, and they need to see proof of ownership.

Police Visit

The next day Ed goes to police headquarters and he asks to speak to Robert Holding, a policeman he knows from the war. At the desk he asks for Robert by name. When they call him they want to know what the visit is about. Smiling at the officer on the desk Ed says, “Tell him it’s Rocky about the missing tanks and Blue Orchids.” This is passed on, and Officer Holding comes to the entrance.

Bob Holding says, “Rocky, what are you doing here. It’s been a long time since I had anyone worry about misplaced air support and armour.” The desk officer gives him an odd look. So Bob says to him, “Blue Orchids is what we called the Air Force in the Army.” The officer nods when he realises this is an old Army buddy wanting a confidential talk. It happens a lot now when someone wants to tell the police something through a copper they served with in the war and trust a lot.

After leaving the entrance area Bob asks, in a very soft voice, “Rocky, you wouldn’t happen to be the same E. Rochester the Inspector is going crazy over? The one he’s trying to locate and talk to about a diamond, would you?”

Ed responds, “Yes. Can you get me in to talk with him without an introduction?” Bob nods yes, “Tell someone where to forward your calls to, and let’s go talk to him. I’ve a few questions for him as well.”

They stop at an office with three policemen in it and Bob says, “I’ve got to go speak to Inspector Rhodes. Please forward my calls there.” They all nod yes. A few doors down Bob knocks on a door, then he waits to be told to enter. He opens the door and they both walk in. “Inspector Rhodes, I’ve a contact who may be able to help us out with the AGM diamond case. But he has a few questions first.”

The inspector studies them both with care before he says, “I won’t ask your name, yet. Although I think I may know it. Ask your questions.” He gives Bob a cool glance, promising some further talk, later.

A grinning Ed, says, “Yes, Inspector, maybe you can guess my name. It’s not common, but not unusual either. I know fourteen people with the same surname and first initial, and only four are related to me. However, back to the matter under discussion. The man who claims to be the true owner of the diamond in question, has he been able to provide any provenance for the diamond? And does he claim only one diamond missing or several of them?”

Rhodes replies, “First, most people call me Sir, or Dusty, got it.” Ed nods yes. “I asked about proof of purchase. He’s sent away for it from an office overseas. He claims two diamonds stolen and he’s given us a description of both. However, all of the jewellers say the descriptions aren’t detailed enough and they can cover dozens of diamonds. It’s not the sort of description they normally write up. We haven’t taken action to recover the diamond, beyond telling the buyer not to sell it or take it out of the country until we clear things up. That’s because the fellow in Liverpool can prove he had possession of it one morning when the claimant said he had it in his hand that afternoon. This is looking very twisted. Maybe you can help resolve it all for us.”

Ed smiles, “I think I can.” With slow care he reaches into his pocket and he pulls out three more diamonds, “Let’s get a jeweller you trust in here to have him pick a diamond that doesn’t fit either of the man’s descriptions. Then ask the man if that one is his second missing diamond.” Dusty Rhodes picks up his phone and makes a few phone calls.

When Rhodes puts the phone down Bob asks “Hell, Rocky, do you have any idea of what you’re holding there?”

Ed smiles, “Initial estimate is around fifty thousand pounds. The owner asked me to sell off a bag of AGM diamonds for them, well over a million pounds worth. I’m the agent in this because people are trying to kill the owner and steal them. And no, I don’t have them all on me.”

Both policemen whistle. Rhodes asks, “Where do you know Bob from?”

Ed replies, “He worked with me in the islands a few times.”

Bob chimes in, “Yeah. The first time he saved my life, and over sixty others as well.”

Rhodes responds, “For the moment, I’ll trust you to be telling me the truth. If I get reason to think otherwise I’ll take you downstairs and sweat you.” Ed smiles back. Bob laughs, and Rhodes glares at him.

Bob says, “Sorry, Sir. The Kempeitai worked him over real good for five days, and they got nothing. I doubt you’d get anything he didn’t want to tell you to begin with.” Rhodes’ eyes go up. Now he knows he’s dealing with a very tough nut. However, the respect in Bob’s voice reassures him he’s a good nut, not a bad one.

A few minutes later a man enters the office. The inspector gives him a sheet from a file on his desk as he points at the three diamonds while saying, “Pick one that’s close to, but doesn’t match either of these descriptions. I’d prefer you got closest to the second description here, if you can.”

The man nods yes as he pulls out a jewellers loupe, an eyepiece for the close study of gems, to examine them. A few minutes later he separates one from the others while saying, “This best fits your criteria. If the gentleman is authorised to sell them, when you’re finished I’d like to offer sixty thousand pounds for the set. Individually they’re worth about sixteen thousand pounds each, but as a set of three they’ve a lot more value.”

While both Bob and Dusty whistle at the valuation Ed holds out his hand, “Please give me your card and I’ll contact you to give you first option. I’ve a few more than this to sell, and I can provide proper provenance.” The man smiles as he hands his card over. Ed puts it in his pocket, along with the other two diamonds after he picks them up from the desk.

Caught Crook

They sit about chatting while they wait for the claimant to arrive. When he does Ed goes and waits in the next office while the other three speak to the man. When the man enters the office Rhodes introduces the jeweller and says, “This gentleman’s been offered the opportunity to buy this diamond. Can you identify it as the other one of yours or not?”

The man examines it well, “Yes, this is it, this is my diamond.”

Rhodes smiles while saying, “You’re sure, there’s no doubt about it. Couldn’t this be another from a different source.”

The man says, “No doubt this is mine, I know it well. This is it, I’m positive.”

Rhodes says, “Well then, in that case Detective Constable Holding will have to take you downstairs and charge you with fraud. This diamond doesn’t match either of the descriptions you gave us. And I want to know why you’re trying to deny the rightful owner of the diamonds the ability to sell them.” The man loses all expression. He’s very worried when he walks out the door with Bob. The jeweller is careful to place the diamond back on the desk.

Ed walks back into the room and he asks to make a phone call. A few minutes after he does a call comes into the Inspector’s office for Bob, but it’s really for Ed. He speaks on the phone. Soon after that one of his men arrives at the entrance looking for him. When he’s shown into the office he hands Ed a couple of soft velvet bags and some papers. Ed is very careful when he opens both of the bags then he sprinkles the contents onto the large piece of clean blotting paper on the desk.

The jeweller gulps hard while he looks at them. “All these are AGM diamonds of the same quality?” Ed nods yes. The jeweller gulps again, “I couldn’t afford to buy them. I’d like to, but there’s over a million pounds worth sitting here. I’d have to take them to my office to give them a proper evaluation.” A smiling Ed hands him the papers to look at. The jeweller’s eyes go wide, “Sorry, better make that nearer one and a half million pounds.” Turning to the inspector he says, “These are the proper authentication paperwork from the AGM mine giving proper details of the diamonds and listing the owner from the mine as being Mara of Berant. The papers include the diamond sold in Liverpool.”

Rhodes says, “Please write up a quick report about the Liverpool diamond for my file.” He makes a call to tell the diamond’s new owner the diamond came to him lawfully with the papers to follow.

Ed says to the jeweller, “Harry can’t afford to handle any more and he says he’s had enough trouble with the first one as some men are following him about. I’ve some people watching the people watching him to make sure they don’t hurt him. What I do need is someone with the contacts to sell the diamonds through. I’m prepared to negotiate an arrangement to that end. I’ll get independent evaluations, we come to an agreement on price, and you find buyers while taking a few percentage points for yourself.” The jeweller smiles because this’ll allow him to make a nice profit while he gets his foot in the door in certain circles at no real financial risk to himself. Yes, a one percent cut would be more than sufficient on such a quantity of top quality diamonds.

He nods yes while saying, “I think we can reach an agreement because I’ll get more than just money out of this. I’m prepared to act as agent for one percent of the sale value, if that’s agreeable.” Rhodes whistles as one percent of one and a half million pounds is fifteen thousand pounds just for a few phone calls while acting as the middleman in the sales.

Ed nods, “I’ll have our solicitor draw up a contract. And if we like the way you handle the cut gems we’ll let you have first option at handling the uncut gems.” The man gulps again as he smiles wider. Working together they take several months selling all of the cut and uncut diamonds as they raise just over three million pounds.

While the diamonds are being sold Ed is sending word out through the ‘mates network’ he’s hiring lots of combat experienced soldiers for a fighting job in the jungle overseas.

In the next few months Ed checks and hires over two thousand ex-soldiers who’re having trouble fitting back into civilian life after being in combat for a long time. Many served with special forces like the Commandos, Special Air Service, and Z Force. He buys the lease to a large rural property in Northern Queensland where the troops train. Through approved government contracts they buy a large amount of the available ex-government military weapons and ammunition for use in training and their return to Berant. The Australian Government knows what they want them for and gives approval for the items to be sold to the Berant Government.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close