The Grand Tour
Chapter 10: The Visit to Ashland

Copyright© 2012 by normist

The next morning, breakfast was spread over a couple of hours, as we woke and wandered through the house and entered the kitchen.

John greeted us, then said, "There's a message for you from your father. He said your Director had been in touch with him and wants you to finish your vacation by Wednesday. I think that something's come up. He wanted to know if your 'business' here had been finished. I told him I thought so. He left the message that you were to go to Ashland, but I didn't catch what that was about."

"It's my parents' home."

"Why don't you call your father on the teleson? You can use the one in my father's office."

"Thank you. I'd better do that at once."

It took a few minutes to contact my father. Being Saturday, he was at home.

After our usual greetings, he said. "Congratulations, Robert, I hear that you're now an Assistant Director. Are you coming to see us before you return to work?"

"I'd like to, very much, father. However I'm traveling in a party of four. Would you be able to put us all up?"

"No. Not even you I'm afraid. We have visitors. However your Director let me know about your party and we're going to farm you out with the neighbors. What time do you think you'll be arriving?"

"We should be arriving at Framingham just after nine in the evening, on Monday."

"Right-oh! I'll arrange for you to be picked up, and I'll tell your mother to expect you all. Are there any fussy eaters in your team?"

"I don't think so. See you Monday, Pop. 'Bye for now."

"Good bye, Robert." he said and we ended our connection.

Rather than try to arise before dawn, we decided to returm to Grand Rapids. We'd stay the night there, and get an early start.

I had to laugh when we descended from the train at Framingham. Instead of the elegant coach that I had expected my father to send to pick us up, the 'Black Maria' coach, (a police cell on wheels, used for transporting prisoners between the Police Department building, the Courthouse and the Jail) awaited us.

The driver greeted us. He opened the door at the rear of the coach, inviting us to climb aboard.

As I climbed in, he grinned and said "I don't suppose I have to lock you in Master Robert?"

"No, I don't suppose you do."

Ten minutes later the coach pulled up on the corner of Pavia Place. I saw a few curtains twitching on the surrounding houses. The Black Maria was a rare sight in this neighborhood. We all got out and walked up the path to the front door. I turned to the driver to thank him and wished him a good night.

The front door opened and my father was revealed.

"Come in, all of you. Come in and welcome."

I brought up the rear as my father led us into the great room. Imagine my surprise when we found four people there apart from my parents. In addition to the couple next door, there was Director Hoover and Sir Oliver Plumb (Sarah's step-brother) together with Sarah's parents.

After the introductions had been made, all round, Director Hoover took center stage. "I have to admit, Sir Robert, that I thought that your nuptials would be announced before this. Now, let me move onto more serious matters. Your base of operations has been selected. To give you some background on the reasons for the choice. Your base has to be central to communications within New England. It has to be secure in the event of retaliation. To this end we are thinking of purchasing a house off the Deputy Marshals' Service. It is currently a 'safe house' that the Service is thinking of changing."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close