The Grand Tour - Cover

The Grand Tour

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 8: Recruiting Karen

We arrived in Chicago the following afternoon just before three o'clock. John wished to visit a friend who worked in the windy city. We agreed to stay at the Hilton on Grant's Park and arranged to meet up there later. Leaving the station, we walked to the NEBI offices. Entering, we could hear an altercation going on in the Squad Room. As we approached, the Special Investigator-in-Charge emerged from his office, his face red with anger.

Spotting us he paused and said, "Special Investigator MacLeod, this is not an appropriate time. Can you come back later?"

"No we can't; and it's Assistant Director MacLeod. Let's return to your office,"

He seemed to shrink within himself, but led us back from whence he came.

"Your problem has been noted in DC and I have been directed to see if I can resolve it for you. Would you be kind enough to send Investigator Smiles in here and stay with the others in the Squad Room while I interview her?"

"Very good, Director MacLeod."

He left deflated.

A few moments later, the Investigator entered the office.

"Please sit down," I said pleasantly.

She sat and I examined the fiery redhead in front of me. I put her at about Sarah's age. The thought passed through my mind that her very appearance would have upset a stuffy Supervisory Investigator in Charge. Demoiselle Smiles was the first to speak.

"What pissed-up idea is it, now? Have you been talking with that misbegotten son of a turd about me?" Her twang was obvious.

"No we have not." I replied amiably. "Would I be right in thinking you're from New Holland?"

"Too right! Now before you give me the push that that turd called you in for, I quit!" she had risen from her chair.

"Sit down! First. That tur ... Special Investigator-in-Charge did not call us in. Secondly, we did not come to give you the push, so, thirdly, we do not accept your somewhat informal resignation. Fourthly, please join us for dinner at the Hilton Inn on Grant's Park to discuss your future."

Smiles mouth dropped open, but she recovered quickly and said, "Thank you! When?"

"Fine! We'll see you there at six o'clock in the lobby. Now I suggest you collect all all your belongings and leave here without saying a word. Let's give the impression that you've been given the push. You won't be returning here even if you don't accept what I am planning for you. Right then, we'll see you at six." She got up and left for the Squad Room.

"Well, what's your impression?" I asked Sarah.

"She should introduce an exciting note to the team. Her language is quite colorful."

The Special Investigator-in-Charge returned to his office.

"Thank you, Director Macleod. You've disposed of that embarrassment very skillfully. She was threatening me with legal action for wrongful dismissal. You seem to have achieved her leaving with every appearance of goodwill."

"That's why they pay me my inflated salary," I said smugly. "We'll be leaving now."

We left him smirking to himself, and made our way to the Hilton where we booked in for the night. I also booked a table for half past six.

We descended to the lobby at five to six to find Karen waiting for us. We took her for a drink in the bar until our table was ready and told her she was being interviewed as a possible member of our team. I explained how the team had originated, and had grown with each new adventure. Eventually our table was ready and we adjourned to the restaurant. During the meal, we set out to find out more about Karen.

"What part of New Holland are you from, Karen?"

"Sydney, or rather from a little town a few miles South of Sydney. Nobody's ever heard of it which why I always say Sydney."

"I agree with you. Our grasp of geography is sadly lacking, Most people find it difficult to know of anywhere other than the big cities more than about fifty miles away from home. How about you?"

Sarah said, "You're right. I don't even know where Sydney is exactly. So! What was the turd's beef with you?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close