The Grand Tour
Chapter 6: The Missing Midshipman found

Copyright© 2012 by normist

After dinner our party, comprising Sarah, John, myself and Goodman McGee, descended to the dockside and entered the waiting coach. I explained to the driver that the directions I would be giving him were derived from my psychic compass. He in turn told me of San Diego's one way system. We set off northwards along the Pacific Highway. After about a mile, I told the driver to take the next available right turn.

We turned onto West Grape Street. After a few blocks, my compass indicated that we should turn left at Columbia Street, but it was 'no entry'. We went counter-clockwise around the block and pulled up outside a modest single-story house. There was a protective spell on the property which I examined. It bore the same signature as that in the head where the midshipman had vanished.

Sarah and I descended from the coach, John and Timothy seemed to be glued in their seats. They were struggling to follow us.

I turned to them and said, "Relax, gentlemen, it's just the protective spell. Try to think peaceful thoughts."

We climbed the steps up to the front door, and knocked. After a moment, the door was opened by a lady who looked to be in her mid thirties. Sensing her to be the sorcerer we sought, I said, "Good evening madam. I'm Goodman MacLeod, and you are?"

"Mistress Evans, Sir. May I ask what your business here is?"

"We've come for Midshipman Higgins."

She stepped back in shock and disbelief, gesturing us to enter. She led us into her parlor, where she indicated a picture of the midshipman.

"How did you know? I put him in this picture so that no one could trace him. How did you?"

"We didn't track him. We tracked you!"

"Ho ... How?"

"By your protective spell! It's like a fingermark to a sorcerer. Now tell me, why did you do it?"

"He seduced my daughter, Rachel. And now she's two months pregnant. She hasn't seen him for over six weeks. He has to pay for what he did!"

"And how about your daughter? Where is she and how is she taking his absence?"

"She's in her bedroom, and she's heartbroken that he hasn't been in touch."

"I'm not surprised she hasn't heard from him. His ship has been away at sea for the past six weeks. You abducted him while he was still ten miles away from the dock."

"I see. I am sorry. But you must understand! We were both upset."

"Perhaps you'd be kind enough to restore the Midshipman, so we can all carry on with our lives?"

"Yes!"

Mistress Evans took her stance facing the picture. Weaving her hands and muttering a spell, she pointed at the picture. The Midshipman appeared to flow out of the picture expanding to full height as he faced her.

"Ho ... How did I get here?"

He looked around anxiously as he took in his surroundings

"I think your young lady, Rachel, has some news for you, Midshipman. Would you be kind enough to call her, Mistress Evans?"

She left us to fetch her daughter.

"You may need this." I told the boy.

I handed him the small box I had found in his quarters. He slipped it into a pocket.

Nothing more was said until the door burst open and an attractive young lady rushed in and flung her arms around young Higgins' neck.

"Hank! Oh Hank! I've missed you! Where have you been all this time?"

"I've been at sea. This gentleman says that you have some news for me?"

"Yes! You're going to become a father!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close