Little Girls of Wonder - Lacey and Her Talking Teddy Bear
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

"Good morning, Lacey."

"Good morning, Haley. Do I have a wonderful new story for you to read."

"Good, I'm glad for you."

"That is because you have a kind and wondrous heart, Haley, and I am really proud that you are my friend."

"Thank you." says Haley with a happy heart.

On the way to school Lacey saw Beulah, but she didn't say anything to her. Later Lacey and Haley learn that Beulah's brother Martin has been suspended for two days for tearing up Lacey's tablet with all of her stories in it.

But thanks to her knight-in-shining-armor, Leo, she has all her stories back. To honor that adventure and all the knowledge learned, Lacey wrote a short story or fairytale about it after dinner and homework.

The girls happily sat in the classroom enjoying learning new stuff, but they can't wait to get out to recess so Haley can read some of Lacey's new story.

When they go outside they go to their favorite tree and set down. Lacey hands Haley the tablet and her new story. "Wow, you sure were able to put all your stories back together nicely!"

Lacey smiles knowingly and says, "Yeah, I was lucky."

As the two pretty and pristine ten-year-old girls are setting under the tree in their pretty blue and red dresses, Haley laughs as she is reading the story. She says, "A talking black and white cat named Charlie, huh?"

"Yep! He was really nice and smart, too!" Haley looks at her friend like she is being silly and reads more of the story.

Before Haley finishes the story, recess is over. "I'll read the rest of it at lunch break. It is really good so far, Lacey. You really are a good writer."

"Thank you." responds Lacey, understanding how positive encouragement helps people to be better.

When they go back into the classroom, they get to spend an hour drawing. Lacey and Haley sit side by side almost in the middle of the classroom. Because Beulah is often disruptive, the teacher has long since made her sit up front.

Lacey is trying to draw her time in the town of Turmoil, that was then again called Giggles after Helga, the ogre, was in a better mood. Lacey wants to use green, so she walks up to the teacher to see if she has a green colored pencil.

As she is walking up front to the teacher, she looks down at what Beulah is drawing, and it is a pretty flower with a butterfly nearby. "Wow, Beulah, that is really a pretty picture!"

Beulah looks up at Lacey in surprise. "You think?"

"Definitely! You are a really good drawer."

Beulah smiles and says, "Thank you, Lacey."

When Lacey gets up to the teacher's desk the teacher is smiling proudly at her. She gladly lends Lacey a green pencil so she can finish her drawing of her time in the magical realm of Kindness.

Soon lunch comes and then recess. Haley reads the rest of Lacey's story. "Wow, that was wonderful. I wish I had my own knight-in-shining-armor, and none of my stuffed animals ever talked to me."

Lacey smiles with appreciation and thinks to herself, "Believe me when I say that is a good thing, because Hugs only came to me when I was heartbroken." But what Lacey does say to Haley is, "All little girls do have their White Knight."

"Really!" Of course Haley is thinking Lacey is just writing another story.

As Haley was reading her story, Lacey looked up and saw Beulah looking at them. Lacey smiles at her and Beulah half smiles back, but Beulah isn't sure how to act now, because Lacey is being nice to her even though she was mean to her.

After school and after Haley turns off to go home, Lacey is walking behind Beulah who doesn't know she is there. As Lacey gets close to the turn off to go up the street to her house, she sees Beulah's brother Martin standing there. Lacey gets an uneasy feeling.

Beulah walks up to her older brother and says, "Look what I drew."

Martin looks at it, scrunches up his fat face, and then, as he is saying, "It is a stupid butterfly." he tears it up.

As Martin walks off Beulah looks down at the ground at the pieces of her nice picture. As she bends down to pick up the pieces she has tears in her eyes. Immediately Lacey feels bad for her, so she walks over to her and helps her pick up the pieces. She knows how it feels when somebody destroys something you created from your heart and mind.

As Lacey is handing the pieces to Beulah she says, "I want you to know that I think you are a worthy person and don't deserve to be treated like that. I really liked your picture." Then Lacey gives her a hug.

Beulah is looking at her sadly for several reasons. One reason is because her brother tore up her favorite picture, and the other is because now she feels bad about how she has treated Lacey. "Thank you, Lacey."

"Come on, Beulah. Let's go to my house and tape this picture back together, because I think it is really nice and should be saved."

"You do?" says Beulah smiling.

"Yep!" says Lacey, grabbing Beulah's hand and pulling her along.

When Lacey walks into the house with Beulah, Lacey's mom is surprised, but she smiles to herself because she knows how beautiful her daughter's heart is.

After they tape the picture back together they are again outside. As Beulah is getting ready to go home Beulah says, "I'm really sorry for how I've treated you, and I'm really, really sorry that Martin tore up your stories."

"Thank you for saying that, Beulah. I forgive you. As for my stories, I was able to get them put back together. Maybe you would like to read one sometime?"

"Wow, that would be great, thank you! Well, I better get home. See you later, Lacey."

"See ya, Beulah," says Lacey, smiling and waving goodbye. Beulah walks home with a happy heart.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close