Little Girls of Wonder - A Story of Hope
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Hope knows her power over her uncle. The whole time they are eating lunch she does not leave his lap. She knows that their love is so pure and powerful that angels smile at the divine grace and wonder of it. Her fragrance engulfs his senses and her laughter lightens his heart, but that is nothing compared to when they cuddle and talk straight from the heart.

"I have decided to keep Hope home from school for the week." Hope looks over at her mom excitedly.

"Excuse me?" says Jerry, Hope's father and Sarah's husband. Jerry is thirty-two-years old with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. He is a dentist and not very affectionate.

"Hope and I are going to spend as much as time as possible with Allan before he goes back to Afghanistan."

"What?" asks Hope, looking back and up at her uncle as she sits in his lap.

"It is my job, sweetheart. It is where I am needed. It's..."

"You are needed here, too!"

"I know. That is why I am here."

"I'm really proud to tell my friends that my favorite uncle is a soldier fighting the criminals, but I miss you when you are not here."

"There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of you and your mom. I also miss you on a daily basis, and your letters keep me smiling as I follow your wonderful journey. Now it is time for another adventure."

"What do you mean?" asks Hope getting excited.

"You'll see."

"I thought you had a bunch of meetings this week dealing with the possible merger?" says Jerry to Sarah.

"I do. Tomorrow I'll find out what day I'll have to be there. Don't worry, Hope can keep her uncle company while I'm at work."

"That's right!" says Hope with great pride.

Jerry laughs and smiles. Maybe Allan and Jerry have never really gotten along, but he knows his daughter loves her uncle, and that there is absolutely nothing in this world that Allan wouldn't do for Hope or Sarah. "Okay. So what are you going to do?"

"Well..." starts Allan, but Sarah kicks him under the table. Without missing a beat he continues. "We'll think of something, but tomorrow I think I'm going to take the girls shopping."

"He likes it when his girls look pretty, daddy."

Jerry smiles. "I know, baby. Well have fun. I got some more work to do out in the backyard before this Sunday is over." Jerry gets up and goes outside.

Allan looks over at the pretty and sweet Sarah and raises his eyebrows questioningly. "He just wouldn't understand," says Sarah.

"I'm sorry," says Allan. This time Sarah's eyes well up with tears.

But Hope is looking back at Allan as she asks, "Wouldn't understand what?"

"About the wonderful adventure we are going to take."

"Where are we going?"

"To a place of magic and wonder," says Sarah with true joy in her heart.

Of course Hope thinks it is some fun place and is excited. She has no idea what awaits her. "I can't wait!"

"Me neither," says Allan.

"Yeah," agrees Sarah knowingly.

After they eat lunch, Allan is still tired from the long flights back to the States and then to California, so he grabs up his little sweetheart of a niece, whose name just happens to be Hope, and they go and sit down in front of the television to relax.

As they are walking over to the couch, Allan spins Hope around like an airplane. She giggles prettily. As Hope cuddles in her uncle's lap with his strong arms wrapped lovingly and protectively around her, they begin another one of their favorite moments together.

They love to talk with each other. Her uncle always wants to know her opinion, and always encourages and supports her with whatever is important to her. And he never lies or tempers his views just because she is a little girl. Hope absolutely loves being treated and loved like she is the most special little girl in the world. Of course, to her uncle Allan, she is. "Are you ever lonely in Afghanistan?"

"Oh yes, of course. I'm sometimes lonely no matter where I am. I have yet to get my own wonderful family."

"We are your family."

"I know that, babygirl. I meant my own wife and kids."

"Do you still want that?" asks Sarah, as she comes and sits right next to them so they are touching.

"Oh yes! It is still my most desired dream. Luckily I have my baby sister and niece to spoil for now."

"Does that mean you are going to stop spoiling us once you get your own wife and kids?"

"Never!" exclaims Allan very dramatically. Then as Hope continues to sit in Allan's lap, he attacks her with tickles and a million little kisses. As Hope is giggling and squirming, Allan looks over and sees Sarah smiling at them. "You know, Hope," Allan starts saying. "If I remember it correctly your mom was also very ticklish."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close