Dead and Over
Chapter 26

Copyright© 2012 by Robert McKay

After a while Cecelia suggested that I call Letty and check on Darlia, and since that sounded like a good idea I got the phone off the living room charger and dialed. Letty answered, sounding like she had a mouth full of food.

"Sorry to interrupt y'all's supper, Letty," I said. "It hadn't hit me that y'all might be eating."

"That's all right, Darvin. I always like hearing from you. In fact, I just may ask you out on a date."

I laughed, glad I could do it. "I'm tempted to take you up on that, Letty, just to see what Cecelia would say. On the other hand don't you have a boyfriend these days?"

"I have a friend whom I've dated two or three times. Whether he's my boyfriend ... well, maybe and maybe not."

"Who's taking it slow, you or him?"

"I am. I'm still a little bit wary, Darvin. Dating, yes. A relationship? I don't know if I'm ready for that."

I've known Letty for three years, so I didn't push it. "Whenever you are, bring him over and introduce us. We'll be your parents, like."

She laughed. "Darvin, I already have parents."

"Yeah, but did they tell you you're pretty special?"

"All the time, Darvin."

"Oh. Then hold on while I go jump into Tingley Beach."

She laughed again. "You'll do that about as soon as I go back to Davey." Davey Goldfarb was her scumbag of an ex-husband. "Something I want to mention, Darvin. Darlia asked me this evening if she could have a splash of wine with supper, and I let her try it."

"She's known you drink wine as long as she's known you. She's old enough to start learning about alcohol."

"I think so. I was drinking a little wine with my meals when I was her age." Letty's parents were Romanian and Chicano, and wine had been part of her life all her life.

"An' there's no harm in her doin' it, though we don't have wine around here. You know us – we never have cared for it."

"And I am no fan of your beer, though I have to admit that what you drink is better than American brands."

"If I'm gonna have a beer, make it Bitburger," I said in agreement. "I've still got half the six-pack I bought back in the spring, if you want one."

"No, thank you, Darvin – I'll stick with my wine. And speaking of wine, Darlia's calling me from the dining room. I think she's ready for a third helping – of food, not wine."

"Knowin' that child, she'll be ready for fourths and fifths too. Tell her we said hi."

"I will, Darvin. And thanks for approving. I probably ought to have asked first, but..."

"But the situation was there, and it would have been a royal pain to call us first and ask. You done right, Letty."

"Okay, then. Thanks, and bye."

That was one of my longer phone conversations. As far as I'm concerned, they ought to have prosecuted Alexander Graham Bell on a charge of creating an infernal, devilish device. The telephone is useful, but I sometimes wonder if its annoyance potential is greater than its usefulness.

It wasn't late yet – the sun was still above the horizon – but I found I was tired. I headed for the bedroom, and found Cecelia already there, wearing a thin short sleeved shirt and a pair of sweat pants. "I anticipated that you would be emotionally worn out, Darvin. I am not tired, but if you wish I'll hold you until you fall asleep."

I looked at her – at her narrow sharp face shining in the dim light from the window; at her thin arms, knobbed with muscle, emerging from the short sleeves; above all at her bright tilted black eyes, which regarded me so honestly. "I do wish, C. And again – I know it's redundant – but again, thank you."


When I got up the next morning I sat down at the dining room table where Cecelia was eating a plate of scrambled eggs. "It ain't gonna get easier if I put it off," I said, "so I'm gonna get on it today."

"I presume you have a course of action in mind," she said.

"Yeah."

"I know you, Darvin. If you intended to turn the information you have over to the police, you would not now be telling me this – you would be on the phone."

"Do you think I oughta call the cops?"

She regarded me for a moment, putting her elbows on the table. It was such a rare position for her that I almost smiled. "In one sense, Darvin, yes, I do think so. But I know you. To simply report your knowledge to the police would be the easiest course, but you will confront your friend ... the man who has been your friend. And I find that I cannot fault you for that."

"I'm not so sure you're doin' the right thing, there. But anyway..." And I trailed off.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close