Murder at Quantico
Chapter 4: Misdirection

Copyright© 2012 by normist

The train for Vancouver pulled out of Toronto on time. My companions and I were after a spy of the King of Poland. I had believed that he would escape via the Westerly route rather than the Easterly. The reading on my psychic compass had confirmed that. The indication was that he would be joining our train at its first stop, Washago.

We had made ourselves comfortable in our compartment and our conversation had become general. However, from time to time I checked Frederyk's location. After a while the compass indicated that he was further West than I expected. He was not going to join our train.

By the time we were passing Beaverton, I could make a reliable estimate of Frederyk's destination

I told the others, "I think he may have sensed us, and he now appears to be making for Waubaushene." Turning to Officer Buck, I asked "What transport could Frederyk get at Waubaushene?"

"He could possibly catch a steam-launch. If he does, he could probably take it as far as Duluth."

Frederyk seemed to be moving too fast. I did my sums again. I was right. Frederyk was moving impossibly fast. How could he do it? A very faint bell rang in my mind. I could faintly remember from my college days at MIT, the lecturer on advanced thaumaturgical devices saying, "The psychic compass is not always infallible. An advanced practitioner who is expecting to be located can turn the compass needle about. The answer to catching him is to use psychic invisibility."

I revised my knowledge and set about casting a spell. After a few minutes, the spell took effect. The compass needle slowly turned to face in the opposite direction. I explained the situation to my companions and started to fret. We were, after all, travelling in the wrong direction.

"I'll have to reinforce the spell at regular intervals; otherwise Frederyk may detect what we have done." I continued.

Sarah asked, "Would it be possible to fool Frederyk into believing we are continuing onto Vancouver?"

"That's a good idea! Let me think for a minute." When I looked up, two pairs of eyes were staring at me. Two bodies seemed to be holding their combined breaths. "I've got it. I'll tie our auras to this train. It should mislead Frederyk until the train starts out on its return journey. Now, please keep quiet and lend me your psychic support. This will take a while to complete. I concentrated on constructing my spell. At last, it was complete and strong enough with the support of my companions to fool any practitioner.

Twenty minutes later we got off the train at Washago. Officer Buck rushed off to arrange a private train for our return to Toronto. We weren't so lucky this time. It was a local coach and the engine looked like a shunting locomotive that had seen better days. It rose to the occasion, however, and three hours later we were back in Toronto.

During those three hours, we got to know Officer Buck better. John, as he asked us to call him, hailed from Vancouver. He also asked if he could stay with us as we followed Frederyk South. "Another pair of eyes and hands might come in useful?"

When we reached Toronto, John rushed off again to arrange our transport. This time it was the 'Director's train'. We boarded and set off in hot pursuit. The countryside seemed to shoot past us. Aldershot, Niagara Falls and Buffalo marked our progress. We knew here that we had to turn east. At this time we were gaining on Frederyk up. He must be nearly at Syracuse.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close