Dem Bones, Dem Bones - Cover

Dem Bones, Dem Bones

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 4: Albuquerque

Once we had settled in, we all met up in the bar of the hotel. We found a quiet corner where we could talk.

Sir Randolph explained the way a dig was carried out, once a discovery was made.

"What we had found," he said, "was a complete or almost complete skeleton of a pentaceratops dinosaur. Up to now we only have a head of the beast. It's pretty impressive. We won't know how complete it is, until we have a chance to clean it up back at the museum."

Sarah asked, "When did it disappear from the dig?

"I rode into town last Tuesday. It was at the site when I left. I returned to the site on Thursday. In those three days it had disappeared."

"Where was it kept?" I asked.

"Let me explain how the site was arranged. Once we make a significant find, we start digging it out. Not with a pick and shovel, of course, but usually using a trowel and a brush. Any debris from the dig is first sieved in case we've missed anything. It is then moved well clear of the actual dig."

"The recovered fossils are wrapped and stored on the opposite side of the site. The fossils are often left with accreted material, which must be left until it reaches the museum. Some of the pieces are delicate and must be reinforced by wrapping them in plaster of Paris. The actual camp site is a little further away."

"Thank you, Sir Randolph. You paint a clear picture. Perhaps you could now tell us about the steps you took to locate the fossils?"

"I climbed to the top of the hill we were working on, so I could survey the surroundings. There was no sign of the fossils. From my viewpoint, I suppose I could see two to three miles. There was no way that the fossils could have been carried any further, even if the whole crew were in it together. In any case, the process of carrying the bones away would have left tracks on the ground. That is what convinced me that sorcery was involved, and that I should contact my old friend, the Governor-General."

We adjourned to the dining room for dinner. Afterwards, we decided to retire for the night. Tomorrow would be a long day.

Arising early the next morning, we had a substantial breakfast, and emerged to greet a fine day.

Waiting outside the hotel was the sheriff's deputy, Jake Bloom. He was mounted on the driving seat of a supply wagon. Tied to the back of the wagon were three horses, saddled and ready to ride.

We untied the three horses and mounted them. Setting off a little faster than a fast walking pace, we soon came to the outskirts of Albuquerque. The countryside was bare, with few trees and bushes to break up the view. In the distance was a low range of hills.

Slowing to an easy walking pace that the horses could maintain all day, we headed in a more or less South-Easterly direction. After about four hours, we came to the southern end of a number of ridges. Keeping them to our left, we gradually turned into the valley behind them. We rode up this valley for about a mile, before turning right into another valley.

The camp site was about half a mile up this side valley. About half-a-dozen men were standing around while three more were down in a large trench wielding trowels and brushes.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close