Dem Bones, Dem Bones - Cover

Dem Bones, Dem Bones

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 2: The Case of the Missing Bones

Reporting to my supervisor; he told me. "Robert, you're due for a few days leave before your tour at Quantico as an instructor. Before you go, however, the Governor-General has asked for your services in a personal matter. A friend of his has run into a problem that he would like you to look into. Have you heard about the discoveries in New Mechicoe?"

"No! What's been found?

"By all accounts, it's an unknown breed of dinosaur. Sir Randolph Mantrell who discovered it was in Albuquerque trying to arrange transport to collect the pile of bones, when apparently they disappeared overnight."

"And you want me to recover them?"

"That's it exactly! It's not really our sort of crime, but the Governor-General specifically asked if you would undertake it. His favor is worth having and after all, you owe him something for your knighthood. Take Demoiselle Bullock with you. It will be a good experience for her. You'll be met in Albuquerque by Sir Randolph or his representative."

"Right, Sir, but Probationary Agent Bullock will be in induction until lunchtime."

"Good!" He chuckled, "That means you can complete the paperwork on your last case!"

Just my luck, I thought. I hate paperwork. Dismissed, I descended to my second floor cubicle. First of all, I grabbed my timetables to look up the train times. Washington to Chicago and on to Albuquerque would involve two different trains. We would spend the first night on the train to Chicago where we would spend the following morning. The next night, we would be on the train to Albuquerque.

That sorted, I settled down to catch up on my paperwork. I finished my case report and went down to reception to collect Sarah with ten minutes to spare.

Over lunch, I explained to Sarah what the next case was about and how I expected that we would tackle it. " ... and, incidentally, can you ride a horse?"

"Yes I can, although it was a few years ago since I did. How much riding is there?

"The crime scene is about ten to fifteen miles or so South East of Albuquerque. Even camping on site, we'll be doing the trip at least twice." After lunch, we hit the mall to get Sarah some clothes more fitting for the expedition. I also needed to get some more camping equipment.

We reached Union Station in good time to board our train. Through the suburbs and the surrounding woods, Sarah was looking out as the scenery passed by. Eventually she turned to me and said, "Robert, I want to learn more about my Talent and how it works in practice. Tell me how you turned me back from being a statue. I couldn't really see what you were doing."

"Well, the first thing I did was to confirm that you were what I was looking for. I was expecting to find your brother. I had used your tunic, you see, to prime my psychic compass and I had thought that it was his. You see, a garment like your tunic tends to rub slightly on the person's neck. Thus, the wearer leaves some trace around the neck of a garment. Those traces can be transferred to the needle of the compass which tries to find that person. Then you're in business."

"I see that, but what did you do then. It looked as though you were playing with marbles."

"Ah! That was lithomancy. It's a process that can take many forms. Sorcerers using lithomancy have to find what works for them. It comprises the casting of a number of similar objects, which may talk to you or produce a pattern which means something to you. I use seven stones all in different types of rock and when I cast them I usually hear a voice."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close