Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate - Cover

Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 8

"Cliff, I think I hear someone climbing down out of the mountains. I just heard some small stones tumbling."

"I think you are right, my little love, Kate. Let us be quiet and careful and end this thief's reign of terror and unfairness once and for all."

"Okay," whispers Kate.

They wait, watch and listen.

Soon the fat disgusting hobgoblin named Mizer, who is barely taller than Kate but is ten times as wide, comes waddling out of the mountains. He is snorting and panting because he is so out of shape.

How this thief can get anywhere near someone to steal their stuff unnoticed is beyond Cliff and Kate. His skin is greenish, he is bald, and he has black pock marks all over him. He is truly ugly and unpleasant to see.

"Uh oh!"

"What?" whispers Kate. Cliff points without saying anything. "Oh, he has a dog. Why is that uh oh?"

"Because dogs have very good hearing, seeing and smelling. I am afraid our trap is about to be discovered."

"Uh oh!"

Just then the hobgoblin Mizer pulls out a wand and waves it above his head and then he says, "Sleep." Just then green and purple sparkles appear above the campsite and then they fall to the ground.

Not five seconds later Ghost lies down on the ground and falls asleep. "Oh, that is how he does it. He puts his victims to magical sleep."

"Brag, go check it out." says Mizer to his dog.

When the dog doesn't move fast enough, Mizer kicks him and the dog yelps out in pain and fear. "Hey, stop that!" yells Kate.

Mizer looks over in their direction where they are still hidden in the forest. He turns around real fast and runs off back into the mountains. Cliff stands up and takes Kate's hand as they walk out of the forest. They look in the direction where the coward Mizer ran off.

Cliff and Kate look at each other by the moon's light and Kate says, "I'm sorry, I made him run off."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Kate. You wished to protect the dog and you have. I am still most proud of you. You have a beautiful heart and I would expect no less from you."

Kate smiles, always feeling love and contentment from Cliff. "Look, Cliff, the doggy is limping." and then Kate starts walking towards the dog. "It's okay, doggy, we only wish to help you."

The dog growls at her. Cliff puts his hand on his sword. "Kate, be careful, my love. Not all creatures should be trusted."

Kate looks back at Cliff and then she stops moving towards the dog. She continues to talk soothingly to the dog and she puts her hand out for him. Slowly the dog realizes she does not want to hurt him, so he comes over to her. At first he sniffs her outstretched hand, and then he comes closer so she can pet him. Like everybody that meets Kate, Brag, the big fluffy gray dog, soon accepts her as a friend.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close