Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

"Which way do we go to find Gregory?"

"We head north, my Kate, until we run into the Dracola Crevice."

"Okay," she nods her head matter-of-factly. As they are riding off, Kate's beautiful heart shines through again. She turns to the fairies with a smile on her lips and says, "Thank you for all the kindness you have shared with us. I hope to see you all again."

Misty flies over to her and says, "Kate, you are now family and we will see each other many times, because if we did not it would make our hearts sad."

"Thank you, Misty. Thank you all." Kate waves as Cliff and her ride off towards the north.

The forest is so green and thick that Kate and Cliff cannot tell that the Sierra Marine Mountains are looming higher and higher before them, which signifies that they are getting closer. Not only closer to the mountains, therefore the crevice, but also closer to the home of the great purple dragon known as Gregory.

As Kate and Cliff are riding through the forest they hear a great roar. Kate looks up and back at her knight, and she takes a tighter grip on his arm that is always lovingly and protectively wrapped around her. "I do believe we are nearing our destination, young miss Kate."

"Gregory sounds mad."

"By nature the purple dragon is not necessarily mean, but it does sound like he is having a bad day."

Kate and Cliff, as they are riding Ghost, come through a thick part of the forest. They have to brush aside some tree limbs to fit through. As soon as they push their way through they come to a quick stop, because the Dracola Crevice opens up before them.

It is so wide and deep that it is truly a daunting place. Behind them is the Serene Measure Forest, and just on the other side of the crevice the Sierra Marine Mountains shoot skyward.

Kate takes a deep breath as Cliff lifts her down from Ghost, the beautiful white horse. "How do we get across this?"

"We go down the trail known as Kate's Trail, and then we go back up the other side on the trail known as The Cute and Sweet Model's Trail."

"Really?"

"Yes. Lavender is a magical kingdom, and things change and adapt according to who is standing before it. Because the most pretty, precious and sweet Kate is standing before it, it is your most wonderful heart and mind that will show us the way. I am most proud of you, young miss Kate."

Kate looks up at him and smiles prettily as joy runs through her heart. It has been a long time since someone showed Kate that they loved and cared for her just because she is Kate. She feels warm and tender as she reaches over and takes Cliff's giant hand. As soon as she takes his hand a trail appears right in front of them, and it winds its way down into the crevice.

"Look, my trail has come for us."

"Aye, Kate. How come I am more proud of you than I have been of anybody in a long time?"

"Because I am a good girl with a brave heart."

"That is right, young miss Kate. That is right. Come, it will take us several hours to get down to the bottom, and it is at the bottom where Gregory lives in his cave."

Kate and Cliff help each other down the steep and winding trail. Every once and a while they can hear Gregory, the fierce purple dragon, roar his displeasure. Cliff is feeling a little nervous, so he reaches over and takes Kate's hand again and he feels better right away.

As soon as they get down to the bottom of the crevice they hear Gregory give a great roar, and then he says, "Who dares come to my home without an invitation. I am in no mood for company today."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close