Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate - Cover

Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 3

They are awakened in the early morning by the screech of a mighty bird of prey.

"What is that?" asks Kate. She is happy the great knight is still holding her protectively.

"It is Harold, young miss."

"Harold? Who is Harold?"

The knight throws off their blanket and sits up. He taps little Kate, the little girl with the brave and beautiful heart, and points to the nearest tree. "That is Harold, my pretty little squire."

On the low branch of the tree is perched a hawk who is gold and brown in color. He is turning his head this way and that as he looks at them. "Oh, he is very pretty."

"Thank you," says the hawk, surprising young miss Kate.

"You can talk!" Kate says amazed, as she gets up and goes and stands before him.

"As can you, young miss." Kate giggles prettily.

"Her name is Kate, Harold."

"Good morning, Kate. It is a pleasure to meet you. Any friend of Cliff's is a friend of mine."

"She is my new squire, old friend."

"Well, it is an honor indeed. If the great knight Clifford accepts you as his squire you must be great in your own right indeed."

"Thank you, Harold." says Kate graciously.

"So my old friend, why have you woke us up so early?"

"There is a child lost in the forest and Octagon is on the hunt."

"Young miss Kate, we must pick up camp so we can help another."

As Kate is hurrying to pick up their stuff she asks, "Who is Octagon?"

"Octagon is a foul tempered tiger who picks on the weak and alone."

Together Kate and Cliff pack all their stuff into the saddlebags. Before they leave they make sure the fire is out so they don't endanger other wildlife.

As Cliff is buckling on the saddle, Kate asks, "Sire, should I put on my old dress?"

"You may if you wish, young miss, but you are welcome to wear my shirt until we can get you some better riding clothes."

Kate stops and smiles as she looks down at the forest green long sleeve shirt she is wearing. It is comfortable and warm, and with her knight holding her through the night she slept better than she has in years. "Thank you, Sire."

As soon as Cliff finishes with the saddle, he turns around and picks Kate up by placing his giant hands gently on her petite waist. He sets her up on the saddle and climbs up behind her. He takes the reins in his left hand and wraps his right arm securely around Kate. "Harold, lead the way, my keen seeing friend."

With a screech, Harold flies into the air. Cliff kicks Ghost in the flanks so he will pick up speed. As they are riding along Kate asks, "Are we really going to get me some riding clothes?"

Cliff leans over a little so she might hear him better. "Aye, that we are, my young Kate. I have some friends deep in the forest, and I am sure they will be gladdened to help one who is so pretty and sweet." Kate smiles and leans back comfortably into her knight.

It takes them an hour to find the lost child. Only by the screeches of Harold are they able to find their way. As they ride up on the scene they see a mighty tiger prowling ever closer to the lost child.

"Stand your ground, Octagon, or we will do battle once more."

Octagon is startled by the sudden intrusion, and when he turns to Cliff, Kate and Ghost he hisses his annoyance. "Some day, Knight Brave, you are going to interfere in my affairs once too often."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close