Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a - Cover

Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

Chapter 33

It was quiet for a moment. Poppa said, "Is there any further business before we hear reports?" He paused a moment. "Hearing none, the chair recognizes Janice for a report on their trip to Talladega to investigate some field raiding." He looked at me and I stood.

I said, "Mitch reported that one of his fields had been raided repeatedly and he and his people couldn't find the raiders. Poppa asked if we, Bennie and I, would investigate the situation. We went over to Talladega and met with Mitch and looked at his fields where the raiding had occurred. It appeared to be animals without any intelligent design unlike down south with the stag. It was too late to do any tracking and we spent the night.

"We rose early in the morning to find new raiding. This time we followed the path of the raiders, which were all from adult deer into a warehouse. After a lot of searching, we finally found a door that swung both ways through which the group had gone. After getting torches and making preparations, Bennie and I entered through the door to find a corridor. We followed it until we found an opening. We checked our backup people and went through the opening into the open. We found a small, enclosed valley with a creek and pond. In that valley, we found a herd of about twenty adult deer of mixed sexes, forty or more rabbits, and four young teenagers, two males and two females. The females each had babies and were pregnant. We attempted contact with them but they did not speak or understand English. It further seemed from listening to them that their speech was animalistic. It did not resemble any language that we had ever heard. We left returning through the passage to the door. We barred the door and left. After reporting, we were told to return here to report.

"Bennie and I believe that the people we found have and have had no contact with people. They were naked and used no tools that we saw. They seemed incurious about us, which is troubling. It is our opinion that bringing them into Preservation would be, at best, difficult and expensive. At worst, it simply would not be successful. That concludes our report." I sat down.

As Poppa expected, the report started a rumble of conversation. He said, "Order. We will be in order." The noise quieted quickly. Poppa said, "I believe this matter should be discussed without a motion as to action first. If that meets your approval, all in favor say, 'aye.'" There was a loud "aye" and Poppa said, "That will be our process. I want to get some opinions as to possible actions. Therefore, if someone is interested in interfering with these people, please stand for me to recognize you. I will later call for those who want to do nothing. Lastly, I will call for those who have another idea that doesn't fit anything discussed so far. This is not the time for voting or hollering for support of some idea."

Eight people stood up to be recognized. Poppa looked out over the group and selected the first one standing. He recognized one of our "Amazons."

She stood and said, "Thank you, Jack. I want to recommend that we send a group to observe as unobtrusively as possible the six people. After observing for up to a couple of weeks, I would suggest we be allowed to make sufficient contact to be able to make a specific recommendation to the Council. I would be willing to lead such a group of volunteers." She sat down.

Poppa said, "Thank you, Ann. That will be proposal one for later." He nodded at Momma who was, as usual, taking notes.

Poppa then recognized Amos, who lived at the old state line.

Amos said, "I want to suggest Proposal Two, which is to guard against any further incursions and then go from that point. This is the second time we have had animal problems that were a little out of the ordinary. I will volunteer my time to lead a group to humanely trap these people and animals keeping them from our fields but offering a method by which they can obtain sustenance."

"Very well, Amos. We will list that as Proposal Two. Does anyone desire to enter a third proposal?"

Two were left standing. Poppa recognized Evan.

Evan said, "I think we should try to rescue the people in that group. I will be willing to lead a group to try to communicate with them and bring them into Preservation." He sat down.

"Very well. That will be proposal three. Does anyone else desire to offer a different proposal that they will sponsor?"

A rough looking man from north of the I-20 area and just east of the old state line stood and said, "Kill 'em all. I will bring my rifle and plenty of ammo."

Poppa didn't bat an eye. He said, "That will be proposal four. Are there any other proposals at this time?" There was silence. "I want an initial show of hands. Proposal One is to watch and make later recommendations." There was a sizeable group but a definite minority. "Very well. Proposal Two is now before you." Again, there was a large minority with three-quarters or so having now having expressed an opinion. "All right. We now have those in favor of Proposal Three, which is to rescue the people in the group." Most of the rest of those who hadn't voted raised their hands. "Okay. The last proposal is Proposal Four, which is to kill all of the animals and people." Only Evan and one other man voted for that.

Poppa said, "The two most popular proposals are One and Two. I want to suggest that we sort of combine them into one. First, we must be sure the incursions into our fields are stopped. Second, we need to observe before making any further realistic determination. We have sponsors for those activities. Will the majority agree with this procedure knowing we will be here later with more information and recommendations?"

There was a loud 'aye" and, after that, one "nay."

Poppa said, "The Aye's have it and that closes the matter for now. Is there any other business for this evening?" He waited a few moments. "With nothing further, I declare this meeting adjourned with Ann and Amos staying with me for a moment to plan."

He didn't say everyone had to leave so I stayed, too. There were a couple of others hanging around also. Poppa looked up and said, "Ann, Amos, Janice, I want the three of you plus any help you want and is willing to figure out a plan to present to me by ten o'clock tomorrow morning."

There are times to argue with Poppa and then there are other times. I said, "Yes, Sir. We'll get started this evening." Ann and Amos looked a little startled but just nodded. I continued, "I want to get Laura in this. And Bennie and Kevin when they return."

Bennie didn't return until late after everyone had gone home for the night. We agreed to meet again at seven to finish what we had started.' He was tired when he came in and not happy. He said, "I understand why Jack has me handle the exiles but I hope I never get to the point where I enjoy it."

"You won't, Hun. You care too much for people even when they don't deserve it. But Poppa knows you will do what has to be done as humanely as possible and better than anyone else because you don't take offense to their feelings."

"Well, he almost got shot instead of exiled. The man is a fool and will not be responsible for anything. His wife and children had already left him, so he left with no one arguing all the way. I told him the standard, "Go away and stay away or be shot. No exceptions and no excuses.' I even pulled my pistol and pointed it at him."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close