Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a - Cover

Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

Chapter 30

We bedded down for the night with me taking the first watch. Bennie was right. Steve didn't think about having a sentry. That could be hazardous unless you were a very light sleeper. Kevin would be next and I woke him gently. He woke easily and took my place. Bennie would be next with Laura being the last. We had a shotgun to use. Its purpose was to wake everyone as much as to provide some firepower. I felt Benne leave later and then return much later. He had been back for about thirty minutes when he shook me. "What ever it is, it's coming our way. Go to Laura. Take Kevin." He vanished. I rose, gathered Kevin, and went to Laura. She noticed Kevin and I coming her way but hadn't heard or seen Bennie leave. She was chagrinned but got over it quickly. We three began to listen for what Bennie heard. I took the shotgun and warned both of them to be very sure of their shots since Bennie was out there.

We waited.

The sun was just beginning to provide some light in the fields around the farmhouse and barn where we were staying for the night. Suddenly, we heard a loud growling from the north. Kevin whispered, "Look, at the edge of the pasture. There are animals slinking around."

The horses were gathered together close to the barn looking out over the pasture. I heard what I thought was the roar of a lion but nothing came out into the pasture. That was the last sound we heard. About an hour later, Bennie walked up from across the pasture. His horse came to him as he continued in to us. By this time, Steve and the others had come around to find out what was happening. They wanted to go out. I said, "Steve, wait. Bennie's out there and he has things under control." That was when Bennie appeared.

He reached us and gave me a kiss and a hug. He said, "There was a large pack of big cats out there but they didn't like my sounds, the smell of the fire or of all of you. I think they were hoping to pick off a stray or two. When there were no easy pickings, they went elsewhere. Let's be watchful for a few nights but we should be okay as long as we stay together."

That day we resumed our trek southward on I-75 toward home. We were moving slowly now because Steve's group were not used to traveling. Bennie and I agreed that they had lived mostly by scavenging. How they made it through winters was beyond our comprehension. I was glad to get to the Knoxville area.

The complaining had, as my mother had said many years ago, gotten on my last good nerve. The two women, other than Marsha, and one man, Joe, were the worst ones. Bennie and I talked about it. I met with one woman, Sally, while both of us met with Joe and Gloria.

Our discussion with Joe and Gloria was short and to the point. Bennie started, "You two have been unhappy since we left Wilton. I am going to let you know that neither of us will be recommending you to join Preservation. You should consider stopping here or traveling back north and settling in. We have few rules but greed is not punished in a pleasant manner."

Gloria said, "We just want to live in a manner befitting our position until the government gets back on its feet and gets things back under control."

I couldn't hold back, "Either you're stupid or a fool! It's been over ten years since the Day and the virus wiped people out. You've seen enough of the land to know that most people are dead as is the government. It will never return to how it was!"

Joe's face reddened and he started toward me until stopped by Bennie's pistol in his midriff. Bennie said, "First, you can't walk through the gun and, second, I will blow your backbone out if you try." Joe looked down and went white. Bennie's deep tone and calm voice were utterly convincing, which was good since he would do it. "Now, back off!" Joe backed away.

He called out, "I've been assaulted by this gangster and his moll is insulting my wife!" That brought everybody over including the other woman and her husband.

Bennie said, "You joined us not the other way around and to go to a community in which we are members, not you. You have now been informed that you will be blackballed and given the chance to go somewhere else because you will not be allowed in Georgia. Your wife is either stupid or a fool like Janice said when she straightened her out if she listened. By the way, Janice is my wife not my moll as we were properly married in a church albeit after the Day. I should let you go so she can beat lumps on you before you leave, but I just want you gone." Bennie's pistol had never moved except to follow Joe as he had backed away.

Joe said, "You can't order us away! We have rights!"

Bennie answered, "Yes, you do. You have the right to leave us. You have the right to die if you push Janice or me any further. You do not have the right to join Preservation."

Steve had come up but wisely stayed out of line from Bennie's pistol. "Bennie, what's happening?"

"Janice and I were informing these two that they wouldn't be welcome at Preservation and that they should make other plans like going back north or settling here. Gloria said something very foolish and Janice told her so. Joe didn't like it and started for Janice. I stopped him.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close