Adown - Cover

Adown

Copyright© 2012 by Robert McKay

Chapter 19

Cassie

It was a few minutes to 11 when Mrs. Carpenter, who'd agreed to be my guide for the day, ushered me up the stairs to the auditorium. I'd been pretty calm till then, but as I made the turn at the landing I suddenly realized that in less than an hour I'd be Mrs. Yirmeyah Hudson instead of Miss Cassie Morrison, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I stopped there, trembling, and Mrs. Carpenter put her hand on my arm. "Are you all right?"

"I'm not sure," I said. "I'm suddenly terrified."

"I was too at my wedding. There's only one thing to do in the face of the fear – walk forward. Here, take my hand." I did, and her dark strong fingers clamped around mine and some of her strength seemed to flow into me. I was able to take the remaining steps, and clung to her hand all the way to my seat in the front row next to Mama and Daddy. It wasn't until I had sat down, with Mrs. Carpenter beside me on the other side, that I dared look over at where Yirmeyah was sitting next to his parents, with one of his cousins to guide him if necessary. He'd gotten a dark suit, a real suit, and I was so proud of his appearance as he sat there looking dignified and mature. He had a couple of other real suits that he'd bought since he came to Hopeful Church, but they weren't really in great taste, and this one was and I loved it. It was hard to believe that he'd just turned 21 a month before. For that matter I was having trouble believing that my 24th birthday had been back in August, not very long ago. But as the piano began to play one thing became very real – the wedding. I was going to be a married woman in a few minutes, and though I was still scared I now felt a soaring anticipation begin to flow through me.

I looked over at Yirmeyah again, and realized that his dignity wasn't just the suit – he was literally scared stiff. He wiped at his upper lip, as though he too were sweating, and I saw his cousin pat him on the shoulder as though reassuring him. I brought my glance nearer, to Mama and Daddy, and Mama patted my hand, since she was the one next to me. And then I felt Mrs. Carpenter's strong hand on my left shoulder, squeezing gently for a moment, as her husband walked to the front of the auditorium.

Yirmeyah

I knew instantly when Cassie came up the steps. I turned to look, and saw that she was holding Cecelia Carpenter's hand. It looked like a death grip too. If she was half as scared as I was, she needed someone to hold onto. I was glad Fred was beside me, because I wasn't sure I'd know when and where to walk without him prompting me.

Cassie was wearing a long dark green dress over a white blouse with lace down the front, and over that a brocade jacket in black and gold. The sleeves of the blouse showed lace past the sleeves of the jacket. It was a short jacket, just long enough to reach her waist, and was open to show the dress and the blouse. I'd seen Cassie looking beautiful before, but never like this. I think I forgot to breathe for a moment.

With Cecelia escorting her Cassie took her seat beside her parents, just as I was beside mine. Cecelia was on Cassie's far side, as Fred was on my right. I turned to look at the pews, and it looked like we had a pretty full house of friends and family. I wiped at my upper lip, and my forehead, where the sweat was beading even though it wasn't hot. I was plenty scared all right.

Just at 11 Darvin walked to the front and stepped up onto the platform, where they'd removed the pulpit. He took his place behind the microphone and waited for quiet.

Cassie

Brother Carpenter welcomed everyone briefly, and explained the history and purpose of marriage. I had hoped he'd be brief, and he was, and I supposed he knew as well as anyone that the gathering wasn't to hear him but to be part of a wedding. After the welcome we all sang "Amazing Grace," which both Yirmeyah and I loved. Then came the beginning of it all.

Brother Carpenter took his place again and said, "Will the bride and the groom please come forward at this time?"

We did, with Mrs. Carpenter escorting me onto the platform and Yirmeyah's cousin escorting him. Right behind us were our parents, for we'd decided that since we weren't having bridesmaids or groomsmen or any of that, both sets of parents would stand with us for the ceremony.

"At this time," Brother Carpenter said, "I wish to present to you Miss Cassandra Dearborn Morrison, and Brother Yirmeyah Hudson, who are here today to join together as man and wife."

We hadn't planned for it, but there was a burst of applause just then. I was turned partly toward the front and partly toward Brother Carpenter, so I couldn't see the entire auditorium, but in the area I could see it looked like a lot of Hopeful people were doing the clapping. Once the applause had died down, Brother Carpenter spoke again. "Miss Morrison and Brother Hudson have chosen, before they speak their vows, to express their love to each other through song. We'll first hear from Miss Morrison, and then from Brother Hudson."

Yirmeyah

We'd planned the proceedings together of course, so I knew what Cassie would sing. Yet it was brand new when the music began, and she took the microphone and faced me. I'm not a fan of rock music, but I had to admit that the song she'd chosen was a beautiful one. She'd told me it was by a band called Berlin, but as she sang I knew that she'd taken it for her own. She looked directly at me, and the song spoke of the one she loved turning to her and saying, "Take my breath away."

And she did take my breath away, though of course the song was about me doing it to her. At this close range I could see the light glittering on the threads of the brocade as she breathed. I have to admit that when she took each breath it got my attention, for her figure showed every movement of her lungs. I wasn't marrying her for her physical attributes, but they certainly were attractive. And for once I wasn't too diligent about taking my eyes off. For one thing, we were getting married now. And for another thing, it took my mind off the nervousness.

When Cassie finished it was my turn. I took the microphone from Darvin, and waited for my music to begin.

Cassie

I knew that Yirmeyah was going to sing a country song, George Strait's "Carrying Your Love With Me," and I knew from sitting by him on our visit to MJT back in August that he had a strong and delightful singing voice, but I hadn't heard him sing that song before. When his voice first lifted up the notes, describing how he didn't need anything but a kiss from me because wherever he went he carried my love with him, I had to bow my head while tears trickled down my cheeks. I didn't really care for country music, but it was all that Yirmeyah listened to, and I found myself admitting that this country song at least was perfect for this situation.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close