Stand in Time
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2008 to Ernest Bywater

Doña Anna

Early the next morning we’re up and getting ready to go visiting. The first thing I do is to send out a couple of men who know where the six families whose daughters we’ve rescued live. They’re to ask them to gather at one hacienda so we can meet them all at once. The horses are cleaned and brushed, gear cleaned and polished, weapons cleaned and reloaded, Steve scouts the way with Rafael, and everyone involved has a wash in the nearby river before dressing in clean clothes.

Mid-morning Captain Bentley and I inspects our troops while the girls stand looking on. All is ready so we mount up. I ride to my wagon where Alice hands over a new and larger pennant of the head of a dog for us to fly. I give this to Luis and he slots it into the new holder just added to his saddle, he’ll ride just behind José and me. We’re ready to go so we ride out in order.

The plan is I’ll lead with twenty of my men, they’ve decided to call themselves Desert Dogs, to match the shoulder flash and pennants, with Mars and Loki beside me. Next will be Captain Bentley with twenty men, the two coaches with two of his men on each as driver and shotgun, and his lieutenant leading another twenty men is last. We’ll go through town at a fast walk. The route will be straight down the main street, but it isn’t straight as after about a mile the street takes a forty-five degree turn left for a half mile run then it curves back right and goes straight for three miles to pass the hacienda we’re going to on the southern edge of town. A large compound just after the forty-five degree turn is the problem as it’s like a fort and it’s where the top The Cause men are with the bulk of their gunmen. We think our plan should get us through without any issues, but we’ll just have to see.

There’s a lot of movement around the other wagon train when one of the wagons in our circle pulls out and we leave. I can see people staring while I lead my men out in a double column with our pennant flying, so I wonder what they must think when the Army troops with the coaches follow us out.

The little foot traffic in the road is quick to get out of the way as they hear us coming down the street. When we’re half-way down this stretch I speed up a little to move us around the turn and up to the compound at a trot. When in front of the compound I stop on the right-hand side of the road as the compound is back about fifty feet from the road itself and the right-hand column stops while the left-hand column continues to follow José for a bit. He stops and we all turn to face the compound on my command: twenty-two mounted horsemen all well-armed and ready for trouble. Some men run around on the walls of the compound while I walk Wind forward to cover half of the distance. The gate is open and one side is soon shut while the other is half closed and a man walks out.

He approaches and I say, “It’s my hope we get through this without any shooting. In a moment an Army column escorting some important civilians will round the turn to pass behind us and our job here is to see you don’t attack them. If you do we’ll attack you, kill you, and destroy the compound. I’d also advise you to get a new line of work with a new employer.” With that I hand down copies of all the handbills for him to examine, as I know all of his bosses are in them. With some luck others may collect a few bounties and save me some trouble. My real hope is some of their gunmen will decide it’s time to move on to a new job.

The man takes the bills while saying, “If you come no closer and don’t start shooting we’ll have no reason to shoot. The judge and his friends pay good money, so why would I leave?”

“Those are federal warrants for their arrest on charges of murder and kidnapping. I’m just one of many seeking the bounties, so when you add in the enemies they’ve made by their greed and killing you’ll find you’ve an army to contend with.” I stop when I hear the coaches approaching. I can tell the man can see the lead Army men and he turns to look at them. His eyes go wide when he spots the coaches and his eyes dart back to me. “These men are part of my private militia, the Desert Dogs, I’m their commander, most people call me Mexican Ed.” This gets a gulp from him and he makes a point of holding his hands well away from his guns. “This time I’m here to ensure those people pass in safety. The men in those warrants have until noon tomorrow to turn themselves into the County Sheriff or the Town Marshal. After that I’ll hunt them down and any visits here will be to kill them as well as anyone who tries to stop me from dealing with the men in the warrants. Do you understand?” He gives a slow nod yes.

The rest of the column passes. José issues an order, the men turn, and he leads them off at a trot. When they leave this section I back up, turn, and gallop off after them with the two Great Danes beside me. Down the street I reach the end of my men while they pass the main column. In a few minutes we’re back in order and heading toward the edge of town. I see the hacienda as Pedro is standing in the road outside it to show us in. I lead us in and we slow down while we travel down the entrance drive to circle the large garden in front of the main entrance. I stop there in front of six men waiting on the verandah while my men pass by to an open area on the left. I’m soon joined by Captain Bentley as his men pass by. The coaches stop and the rest of his men pass by. My men dismount and spread out like a security detail then Bentley’s men do the same while his second group stays on horseback in case they need to ride out fast. The hacienda gates close, Bentley and I dismount, and hand our horses to Pedro. I pat him on the back while asking him to look after Wind well and to get the dishes from my saddlebags for water for the dogs. The men waiting look surprised at my friendly treatment of Pedro and their eyes go wide at his reply of, “Si, Patrón.”

I open the coach doors and Bentley helps the girls out of the coaches, each girl races to her father for a hug and some quick words before going to the women waiting behind them, who it’s clear are their mothers and other family members. When Enerida gets down I say, in a low voice, “Don’t say anything to your family about your intentions until after I speak to your father or I’ll spank your bare bum in public.” I’ve learned enough Spanish to be understood and I had Jesus run me through that statement by rote. She gulps, blushes, and nods yes; none of her actions are missed by her father or the others.

Introductions

After the girls are greeted I’m introduced to the gentlemen since they all know Captain Bentley from prior visits. The girls and women vanish while our men settle down and we move to a large room in the hacienda.

Once we’re all comfortable with something to drink, and some smiles at my request for cold fresh milk, I turn to Señor Ortiz, saying, “Señor Ortiz, later we need to speak about your daughter, Enerida, in private.” He smiles then insists I discuss it now because these are all very good friends. “Señor, Señorita Enerida has insisted, since the day I found her locked up in the attic of a brothel owned by The Cause, that she’ll be my wife and give me many fine children. I find this prospect a delightful idea, but there are complications. When she got off the coach I insisted she not talk to anyone about this matter until after I’d spoken to you.” He nods for me to continue. “I’m a Christian but not a Catholic and I’ve no concerns about her continuing as a Catholic if she wishes. However, I do believe some people are better off with more than one spouse, but I’m not a Mormon. I already have two wives and I’ve used the simple ceremony of telling people we’re now man and wife after consummating the marriage. Enerida knows this and she still wishes to be my wife.” I take an envelope out of my pocket and hand it over, “The priest in the town where I found her heard her confession and spoke to her at length. He then spoke to me to point out some difficulties with this and told me she has a will of iron, then he wished me luck and the help of the Lord if I do marry her. He also gave me this to give to you.” There’s a few smiles when I hand it over and he opens it. He starts to read, and I add, “I’m not a poor man, but I do have some major problems you should be aware of.” He waves me to silence while he reads and then he hands the letter around the circle. There’s a few raised eyebrows when they read it.

When they’ve all read it and he gestures for me to continue I say, “I recently bought all the remaining government land in the area between a north south line from the Mexican border to the tip of the Sierra Madre that runs through Zuni then turns south-east to run through Santa Fe to the Rio Grande and follows the Rio Grande to the Mexican border. I’m also buying up any private land in there that’s offered for sale. I currently have about half a million dollars in gold coin still on deposit with the Bank of Santa Fe and I’m carrying about a hundred thousand dollars in gold coin in my wagon train.” I stop for a drink while they all sit up at this as it’s clear I’m a man of means. “I’m not really into accumulating wealth or running a hacienda. I’d rather find a nice place to live and raise a large crop of children and grandchildren.” This gets a few smiles. “However, I’m locked in a war with some people called The Cause and I won’t rest until all of their major leaders are dead. The only reason I’m buying all of the land is because they want to own large sections of it. Without being able to clearly identify exactly which sections they want I’m buying all around it to ensure they don’t get it. I don’t know exactly where they are, but there are large gold and silver deposits within the area. The Cause wants these deposits to give them the wealth to take full control of this territory to make it their own kingdom before extending that control to the neighbouring states and later into Mexico. Part of their agenda is to turn every black, Mexican, and Indian into slaves. These things I will not allow and I’ve dedicated myself to their destruction.”

They all slowly nod and have some rapid exchanges of Spanish I can’t follow. Señor Ortega turns to me, saying, “That’s all very interesting, but how do you intend to fight The Cause, because they’re very powerful?”

I smile while I remove a full set of the handbills from the saddlebag I brought in with me. Spreading them out on the large table in the room I split them into two groups: one with a black ‘X’ in the corner and one without. “These are federal warrant handbills for the arrest of the very senior members of The Cause; originally there were seventy-three very top men. The majority have an ‘X’ in the corner signifying they’re dead, confirmed by me. In most cases I killed them.” This gets a few gasps as they look at the forty-six handbills so marked. “These two are no longer a concern, one is now my servant and the other is now my wife.” I touch the bills for Sandra and Tom when I say this and I get some gasps from them. I’ve not handed out any other copies of those two handbills. “The other twenty-five are alive and are on my list to deal with when I can. I’ll also deal with any lower level members who I meet along the way. While I’ve travelled down from Santa Fe I’ve cleared out all of the senior people and many other members of The Cause in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Socorro, Santa Barbara, and San Diego. Over the next few days I intend to clean out Doña Anna as well. I’ve already warned them I’m hunting them, and why. They should have some very interesting reactions to that. With my wagon train I’ve a nice herd of nearly five hundred horses, yet I’ve never bought a horse in my life. They became my property when those who’ve attacked me have died, that includes a few hundred Comanche, but most of the attackers were The Cause gunmen. After The Cause kidnapped me and murdered my family I broke free and turned on them, freeing other kidnap victims who are the core of the Anglos in my group. Since then I’ve amassed many resources from The Cause people I’ve killed. The Cause defrauded people in the East to amass a great amount of gold. I deposited it in the Bank of Santa Fe after dealing with the ones who were bringing it to Santa Fe for them to take control of the territory. While I came south I’ve killed them and taken control of their assets, but I turned most over to people in the towns by handing them to those who disagree with The Cause. The Cause grows weaker each time we meet while I grow stronger, and so does the general public. Doña Anna is the last major power base they have left and I won’t leave it for Santa Rita until they’re destroyed.” I become more impassioned and a bit louder while I go on. Blushing, I stop to take a drink.

Señor Valdez, our host today, and the most powerful of these men, says, “Mother of God, we have a devil amongst us.”

His daughter, Delmira, says from the doorway, “No Father, we have an avenging angel sent by the Lord to cleanse our land of evil.” She looks around the group. “In Socorro he was in town and arrived back at the wagon train to find most of the local community there trying to buy out all of the goods he has for sale. The local widow who looks after the poor for the church was buying what she could afford of food when he arrived. On hearing her plight he gave her hundreds of dollars in gold for the poor and had four men load up a buggy to overflowing with foods and things for her to take to help the poor then gave her the buggy and horses to help deliver them too. He later gave the church another buggy, horses, and a load of hay to feed the horses so the priest can get about with more ease. In Santa Barbara he gave a wagon load of goods and hundreds of dollars for the poor in our community there. He fights the Comanche like a great warrior, at the head of his men and with very good tactics. The Mescalero brave he rescued has given him the Mescalero name of Great War Dog, which is now shortened to War Dog. He has fought against being called ‘Patrón’ by his people, but he now accepts it. Father, these are not the actions of a devil, but those of an avenging angel.” All of the men sit and listen, then think on her words.

Señor Valdez says to me, “How many names do you have?”

I smile, “I was born Ed Ward Edwards in Australia, my legal name in the territory is Ed Ward. Some people call me Big Ed, some call me Mexican Ed, High Eagle calls me War Dog and he has been telling the Comanche that name. Some call me a devil, and some call me an angel.” There’s a few nods and wide open eyes while I go through the list, it’s clear some of the names and their reputations have preceded us.

Señor Ortiz says, “I will talk to my family then let you know about Enerida, but I suspect she will soon be your wife.” This gets a round of laughter from all of the Mexicans; apparently she has a big reputation for getting her way. I just nod as I assure him I’ll await his answer and I’ll ensure his daughter will do so as well. This gets some raised eyebrows.

I take my leave so they can sit down with their families. Captain Bentley and his troop will be staying at the hacienda to provide extra security. His three men with serious wounds will stay in my care until an Army surgeon can be sent to check them out and take over their care. Bentley has already sent south to Fort Fillmore, near El Paso del Norté, for a surgeon to visit. He should be here in a couple of days.

Town Trouble

Outside I wave my farewells after we mount up. I lead us out the gate and Pedro brings up the rear. About half a mile down the road a single rifle shot rings out and I’m hit in the chest. Damn it hurts, but it doesn’t penetrate because I now wear two sets of chain mail. As per my set orders José takes command of the men and they go to the sides of the road while I draw a shotgun in each hand as I charge up the road.

The reaction of the men is expected, but not my charge. I soon pass several men on the side of the road set to slow down any pursuit of the sniper. I fire a shotgun blast into each group while I go by. Another fifty yards down the road a man is mounting a horse with a M1 Carbine in his hand, but I’m upon him before he can get going. A shotgun blast is a simple way to remove his arm holding the rifle and to knock him off the horse. I stop and I’m quick to pick up the rifle to put it away in one of my rifle boots. By the time I stand beside him he’s bled to death. I strip him of ammunition and valuables before throwing him over his horse. Mr Hanks is worth a hundred dollars to me when I get him to the Town Marshal’s Office. There’s no shooting down the road so I turn to see why. My men are mounting up and three men are riding away across the fields as fast as they can go. Some men stop to strip the four dead up the road and toss them on their horses. When we ride past The Cause’s compound there’s some very surprised expressions on the wall guards’ faces on seeing us go by intact while leading five of their men - dead. I wonder if some of them will be looking for new work soon.

The Marshal is surprised when I drop the dead off with the handbill. When he writes the note I hand him a full set of the handbills of those I’m still chasing while I tell him about informing The Cause leaders they have until noon tomorrow to surrender to him, after that I’m hunting them down without further warning because they’ve just had their warning.

I send José and all but four of the men back to camp while one man who knows Doña Anna very well leads me to where the best blacksmith in town has his business.

At the blacksmith shop I ask to use his furnace to destroy a metal object, he agrees. He stares at the odd looking rifle which I cut up and feed into his blazing furnace while two men work hard to get it hot enough to melt the quality steel. I can’t take the risk of this technology getting out in this period. After destroying all but a key part of the firing mechanism I make drawings of metal parts I’d like the smith to make using that steel for some of the parts. We reach an agreement and I pay him in advance in gold coin, making him a very happy man.

Leaving him to do the work we head back to the courthouse to cash in the note for Hanks. I also leave the rifle mechanism part to be given to Judge Haines when they see him next. This is to let him know I’ve the carbine and I’ve made it non-operational. That’ll confuse them a lot! My destroying it to show I don’t need it to use against them will be a big worry for them.

We return to the wagon train for a late lunch to find several wagons have moved to the other wagon train that’s heading for California in a few days. The rest have decided to work and live on our hacienda when we build it. I’m very touched by this and tell them so. One Anglo woman says, “It’s basic sanity, Patrón. You have the best dry goods prices in the country, so why go elsewhere.” This gets a lot of laughter from everyone within hearing.

After eating I visit the other wagon train to speak to the wagon-master, saying, “I’ve some business in town for a few days, but if we’re both ready to leave about the same time we can travel together until I have to turn off for Santa Rita, that’ll give us both some extra protection against the Comanche for a few days. By then we should be beyond the main danger area for them.” He nods agreement and promises to let me know when they’ll be leaving, because he’s waiting for some more people who are due to arrive about now but haven’t reached them yet.

Back in camp I check on my patients, all are doing well. Some too well, because they seem to have time to do some courting. The widow Jakes has decided to stay with us and the older soldier who got hit in the stomach is spending a lot of time with her, making her happy.

Warfare

Over the next few days The Cause sends out some groups to launch sneak attacks on us. The men I’ve got watching the compound from all sides give us lots of warning in each case so we can set up to ambush them when they near our camp. Tom, Steve, Alice, and I are good with the crossbows while High Eagle is brilliant with his bow and arrows, so we get quite a few in silence before we finish them off with knives and swords. After stripping them and slipping their horses into our herd we dump the bodies in a ravine about three miles out of town. I’m sure this must be wearing on the men and leaders in the compound when they keep sending raiding parties out and getting nothing back, because we don’t even mention the incidents to anyone and none of their men return to the compound nor do they hear any shooting going on near us. I want The Cause to think the men are deserting them or just vanishing into a black hole of some sort.

The blacksmith finishes the wanted metal parts by the end of the third day so he delivers them with a carpenter and some quality hardwood I asked for. The carpenter is a young bachelor so he has no problems setting up to stay with us for a few days to work inside our inner circle where he won’t be seen by anyone. Well, he had no troubles until a few of the older daughters decide he might make a good catch, then he has a decidedly ‘Deer caught in the headlights’ look about him for a few days until he accepts one of them will make a good wife for him. Between him, Ben, and I we soon have the designs ready for him to start making the wooden components of the machine I want, a very old machine. While the blacksmith has been busy so have I as I make some drawings for the blacksmith to make my next metal items. He smiles when he sees them, but he can’t think of what I’ll need them for.

After another two days he delivers the fifty large steel arrows he made for me. I take him to show him the work the carpenter is just finishing, and he stares at the two ballista we now have. He now understands the need for the large metal arrows. We spend a day practising with them, and get quite good at hitting an object up to two hundred and fifty yards.

In two days’ time the judge is due to go visit the governor and he’s travelling in a coach that’s had special reinforcing to stop rifle balls. The inside is lined with hardwood and the windows blocked as well with a few small vent hole in the roof. He’s travelling with fifty armed men.

We leave about two hours before him with a light wagon carrying our two ballista, and we set up at a good ambush point about an hour out of town. I’ve brought ten men to deal with the gunmen if I need to, but I doubt they’ll be needed.

The place I’ve selected is perfect for us but terrible for most other style of ambushes. We’re amongst some rocks just above the road where it makes a sharp turn just after the rocks. There’s little scrub around here to hide in so it’s a bad site for a normal ambush, but ideal for us because we want to be behind the target and not in front of it. We manhandle both ballista into place and sit down amongst the slight scrub to wait while the rest of my team go around the other side of the rocks to wait.

About when we expected it to arrive the coach comes down the road and makes the turn. The gunmen have two on the coach, five scouting ahead who aren’t doing a good job of it, and the rest are in a line on each side the road beside the coach, with most of them in front of the coach. They make the turn and straighten up for this section while Tom and I aim then fire.

The ballista are very strong and fast, so the bolts are quick to overtake the coach and slam through the back wall to vanish into the interior of the coach with one about where a person will sit on the right and the same for where a person will sit on the left; if someone is sitting in the middle they’ll get hit in both sides instead of the middle of their back. Just after the bolts hit the coach the shotgun rider and driver both turn to look down at the coach, one speaks then lifts a trap, and he jerks back. He shouts and the column comes to a halt. The lead guard rides back to the coach and opens it, he reels back. He goes to the back of the coach and looks at it, seeing the two holes he looks back down the road to see me standing up with a rifle while signalling him to me. He speaks to his men. He’s slow coming down the road and stops with his hands clear of his guns. He can see my men just around the curve, waiting - if needed.

I say to him, “I’ve no problem with you or your men as long as I don’t know them. Once I’ve checked each one over you can all ride away and leave the coach where it is. I’ve no beef, except with the top leaders of The Cause, so I won’t bother anyone else who doesn’t bother me or mine. Understand?” He nods yes, then he goes back to his men while José brings me Wind and I mount up to ride to them.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close